+113

People quoting the bible in defense of the legitimacy of the existence of a god is like me quoting Dr. Seuss in defense of the legitimacy of the existence of foxes wearing socks and living in boxes. It's circular reasoning and it's not convincing, amirite?

awwyeahs avatar Religion
10 8
The voters have decided that awwyeah is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

In the same way you have atomic theory, it isn't fact. We believe we can locate an electron in an orbit around an atom but no one has ever seen an electron. But there is evidence for it. Just like there is evidence for God.
But you wouldn't go up to a physicist and call him an idiot for believing in atomic theory or for trying to tell others about the evidence for electrons. You wouldn't say it makes no sense to try to prove the existence of electrons.
So let people have their faith. You can't disprove God anymore than someone can prove the existence of God.

@In the same way you have atomic theory, it isn't fact. We believe we can locate an electron in an orbit around an...

Your example is irrelevant and flawed. Yes it's true that nobody has ever seen an electron but the evidence for it is massive. It has come to the point that it is considered as accepted fact. And the way they gathered evidence for it is by using the scientific method. As for your claim for "evidence" for God, do you mean people's encounter with God? Like the burning bush and the talking snake? Or people's hallucinations/going back to life and claims? Those are not evidences but claims. When people tell me that they've seen/encountered God, I tell them that I believe their honesty but that doesn't mean their claims are real. Personal anecdotes about God are not evidence.

LerrickSalass avatar LerrickSalas Yeah You Are 0Reply

I just personally hate when someone quotes the Bible as though it will completely change the views of the person they're arguing with. There's a pretty good chance that if the person doesn't believe in God that they also don't see the Bible as a good source of information. Therefore, quoting it is pointless.

Example: An Atheist and Christian arguing about gay marriage...
Atheist: "Gays should be allowed to marry each other."
Christian: "The Bible states that if a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them. Deuteronomy 23:17-18"
Atheist: "omg.. my beliefs have totally changed. thanks for opening my eyes."

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are 0Reply

It is a book but you shouldn't be belittling it. It is called faith for a reason.

jraaeys avatar jraaey No Way -1Reply
@jraaey It is a book but you shouldn't be belittling it. It is called faith for a reason.

Exactly. It's called faith because it's not fact, and thus should not be treated as such. Therefore, it makes no sense to try to prove the existence of a being when the actuality of the reason someone may believe in him is faith and not fact.

awwyeahs avatar awwyeah Yeah You Are +1Reply

Yeah just like quoting a textbook is illegitimate in explaining a scientific theory...

@livelovemusic12 Yeah just like quoting a textbook is illegitimate in explaining a scientific theory...

The Bible never once attempts to prove God's existence.

Any decent textbook provides evidence for its claim.

Discords avatar Discord Yeah You Are +5Reply

The bible is not a book of proven facts. It's a religious book. That's like saying I can say wizards are real because Harry potter. The book says so, so I must be right. Same thing with a bible. A textbook is factually proven. A bible is not.

guitarplayer213s avatar guitarplayer213 Yeah You Are +2Reply