+136

Our memories can be very inaccurate. They manipulate reality by concealing and adding certain details in our pasts.

fuzalas avatar Life
5 18

That's because memory is a reconstruction of events, not a replication.

Memory can also be influenced by language. The way a question is phrased can alter your recollection an event and make you remember it as more or less severe than it actually was.

How do I disagree with this, it's a fact...

@Skr3wBall How do I disagree with this, it's a fact...

yeah that's why I didn't add amirite?

I already knew I was right cool smilie

@fuzala yeah that's why I didn't add amirite? I already knew I was right

But shouldn't posts be opinions, not fun facts? I like to consider it an agree button not a like button...

@Skr3wBall But shouldn't posts be opinions, not fun facts? I like to consider it an agree button not a like button...

I thought of something

what about puns?
they're not always something related to opinions
they're just supposed to be clever/funny and whatnot

I've seen people treat it like a "like button"

@fuzala I thought of something what about puns? they're not always something related to opinions they're just supposed to...

Yeah, but I make my puns in the amirite format so that you can agree with it, regardless of if it's jokingly or not. Like my first POTD "Some people are good at puns and other arepun't, amirite?" You can legitimately agree with it.

@fuzala what about that one about neck training?

I asked if you agree that rappers must go through neck training to wear their unreasonably bedazzled neckwear. I wasn't advertising it for him.

@Skr3wBall I asked if you agree that rappers must go through neck training to wear their unreasonably bedazzled neckwear. I...

isn't that kind of what I'm asking?

I'm tryin' to get people to question the reliability of their memories

@fuzala isn't that kind of what I'm asking? I'm tryin' to get people to question the reliability of their memories

The second sentence sounds to me that you're explaining how memories work, not giving me something I can oppose, just a fun fact. The first sentence is definitely an opinion, but the second sounds like a fact, making it hard to agree with since disagreeing is like going against the existence of trees.

@fuzala are you saying it would've been better to switch the order of the sentences?

I think it could be at least put in a dramatic thought provoking tone by saying something like
"You may think you remember something like it was yesterday, but since memories can add and take away many elements, regardless of importance, it's possible no one actually remembers yesterday well at all, amirite?"

Or not, I just think the post comes off more factual.

@Skr3wBall I think it could be at least put in a dramatic thought provoking tone by saying something like "You may think you...

even the way you worded it

those who disagreed with your format would be disagreeing with the truth because it indeed is a possibility that no one actually remembers yesterday well at all

It's kinda weird how we change ourselves and our pasts cuz we get embarrassed to say it or let it be found out. That is why there is a lot of dejection with politicians and their pasts.

So.. Memories can be a bad thing to have?

@xxdetroitxx So.. Memories can be a bad thing to have?

I don't know about bad
but they're not always accurate/reliable

something to think about in testimonials in court and whanot