-16

Going out with a friends ex is not okay. I don't care what the circumstances are. It's disrespectful. I would understand if you lived on a secluded island and there were only a few people, but there are so many other people in the world to chose from. Have some self control.

heythereilikeurhairs avatar Jokes & Humour
0 12

But what if they get along perfectly? I never understood this rule. Unless you still have feelings for your ex, you should want your friend to be happy.

Fugiamas avatar Fugiama Disagree +6Reply
@Fugiama But what if they get along perfectly? I never understood this rule. Unless you still have feelings for your ex, you...

In my opinion, It doesn't matter if they get along. It's disrespectful to the friend who previously had a relationship with that person.

@heythereilikeurhair In my opinion, It doesn't matter if they get along. It's disrespectful to the friend who previously had a...

I don't see how it's disrespectful. You don't get to stamp a big "do not date" sticker on all of your exes. It obviously didn't work out because they're your ex for a reason. Getting mad that a friend is dating your ex is just a waste of getting mad.

Witty_sobs avatar Witty_sob Disagree +4Reply

Maybe if it was right after you broke up. But if years have past and you're in another place in your life it should be fine.

Fugiamas avatar Fugiama Disagree +1Reply
@Fugiama Maybe if it was right after you broke up. But if years have past and you're in another place in your life it should...

I agree. If years have passed, and you're in another place it's fine. But, usually, that's not the case.

I feel like you wrote this because this happened to you? I don't see a problem with it. At my school people practically play musical chairs with their significant others. If you aren't dating that person, it shouldn't matter. I care very much about my boyfriend and if we broke up and one of my friends wanted to date him, that's okay. I believe that everybody should get to be happy and if dating my ex makes my friend happy, so be it.

Witty_sobs avatar Witty_sob Disagree +6Reply
@Witty_sob I feel like you wrote this because this happened to you? I don't see a problem with it. At my school people...

"At my school people practically play musical chairs with their significant others."
That's hilarious. I now completely accept your username.

Lens avatar Len Disagree +3Reply

So wait. It doesn't matter what the circumstances are except if you live on a secluded island where there are rather few people . . . So there are no exceptions except some things. wary smilie

Anyway, I find the idea of restricting who someone can and can't date based on who you've dated to be very petty. You have no good reason to stand in their way. Your discomfort or a feeling that you've been disrespected are very unimportant in contrast to a healthy relationship. If you seriously don't value your friend's happiness enough to let them date someone you've dated simply because you dated them you shouldn't refer to them as your friend, they mean next to nothing to you.

Lens avatar Len Disagree +4Reply

I made this comment on another post but I feel like it applies to this one:

"Ex-boyfriends are just off-limits to friends. I mean, that's just, like, the rules of feminism." -Gretchen from Mean Girls

I have this guy friend we'll call D, he's been one of my best friends since sophomore year, and he almost left his girlfriend C for me but now I'm dating his best friend M who has had sex with D's girlfriend then to top it all off D and M have shacked up and the only ones in this tangled love square who haven't been together are me and D's girlfriend. None of us are off limits to anyone just because we've had a thing in the past, you just have to be mature, we're all still as close as we ever were and we all still hang out all the time. For the most part, I wouldn't want my friend to give up something that could potentially make them very happy just because it made me happy in the past. There are some people that I would be very upset if my friend started dating them though, either because the person treated me like shit and I wouldn't want my friend to be with someone who treats people like that or because there's unresolved feelings left over from the relationship. It all depends on circumstance, you can't just stick a blanket rule "don't date your friend's exs" on it.