-11

The US Constitution Legislates Morality

kingjs avatar Politics
0 8

It legislates some things that are tied to moral issues, but not all moral issues. I can't tell if the post refers to the partial or the absolute.

@VicZinc Can you provide and example?

Murder is illegal. It is also immoral to kill, but I don't think it's illegal because it's immoral, it's illegal because it also harms society in nearly all instances of occurrence.

@Watchful_questioneer Murder is illegal. It is also immoral to kill, but I don't think it's illegal because it's immoral, it's illegal...

It does prohibit slavery. Perhaps that could be considered a moral issue. Everything else is related to the function of the government, the rights of the citizen, and the right of the states.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Disagree +2Reply

Actually the constitution says nothing about murder being illegal. It prohibits states from depriving a person of life. But does not specifically make citizen on citizen murder illegal.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Disagree -1Reply

It has in the past (prohibition). I am having a hard time coming up with a present day example. The courts adjudicate morality for sure. Can you give a present day example of an amendment that fits your idea of morality?

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Disagree 0Reply

What do you mean?

@Frank_n_Furter What do you mean?

I think in some countries their constitutions has laws prohibiting certain acts that the government find immoral like adultery. Some states in the US also have moral legislation (like bestiality for example) but I don't think the federal constitution does after the 21st amendment repealed the 18th.