+16

Atheists and theists will never see eye to eye simply because they stand on a completely different foundation to begin with

Fanatics avatar Religion
0 27

I might not personally agree with someone else's beliefs, atheist or theist, but if they give me their opinion/standpoint, I can certainly understand and have respect for what they believe. Religion is a touchy subject at most, but two people with opposing beliefs can at least be open to the other's opinion.

@faithnamedme I might not personally agree with someone else's beliefs, atheist or theist, but if they give me their...

Well yes there's certainly some things we can both agree, but as a whole person, we will never see eye to eye completely because we live for different things

@Fanatic Well yes there's certainly some things we can both agree, but as a whole person, we will never see eye to eye...

Many religious and non religious people can see eye to eye on things. They're too many factors involved when a religious and non religious person disagree to say that religion is the reason they don't see things eye to eye. Many people of the same religion don't see eye to eye and many Atheists don't see eye to eye with other Atheists either.

I'm not really sure how much faith we can put into MBTI personality theory, but I think a lot of inability to see eye to eye with people is their non-compatible ways of mental processing and mental orientation.

Of course, but we can always agree to disagree. No one can truly know the 'right' belief, which is precisely why it's a belief. Trying to prove a point like that, and we don't get very far. But taking a step back and seeing a wider view, we can gain insight of the other person's ideas, if not come to a stalemate with the other person.

I don't think there's a single person on Earth who you can see completely eye to eye with on every subject.

J_A_C_Ks avatar J_A_C_K Disagree 0Reply

This is, of course, under the assumption that living for different things means the inability to see eye to eye.

We can respect people's beliefs, and people overall despite differences in opinion. If by "seeing eye to eye" you mean seeing yourself on the same intellectual and spiritual level of respect deserved, than yes.

It's worth noting that a lot of atheists were theists at one point so should be able to empathise with the mindset of a theist and how seductive belief can be if they're really honest with themselves and not blinded by their bias. The same goes for the other way around, although that doesn't seem to be as common.

@RobertSine It's worth noting that a lot of atheists were theists at one point so should be able to empathise with the mindset...

My dad has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of me (the image of God.) He is such a silly old prankster. Exalt!

@My dad has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of me...

Marry me. If your dad manages to get over the whole gay thing of course. He seems to love incestual S&M though. Sodomy should be an easy sell.

Sometimes when someone bashes me on amirite for my beliefs, I think "why are they doing this? Why are they so hateful?" But then I remember that because they aren't christians, they are not morally obligated to show love. They can be as damn hateful as they please. Just because I hold myself to a certain stands, doesn't mean I should hold others to the same.

@1906111

Yeah, I agree with you in that Christians aren't perfect. We do act morally for a different reason than just our instincts. Not necessarily because we've been threatened by hell. Rather because we love our creator and trust him. So if we trust him, why wouldn't we obey him? Since we believe he knows what's best for us.

Believing in God doesn't get you to heaven. Even Satan believes in God. Being a Christian is about loving and trusting God and walking as Jesus did. Not about being afraid of Hell

@1906111

They didn't say that.

@BetterThanEzra1119 Sometimes when someone bashes me on amirite for my beliefs, I think "why are they doing this? Why are they so...

Ignore them. I'm Atheist and I don't think you were saying either of what they said and that your reasoning is solid and unoffensive.

@Frank_n_Furter Ignore them. I'm Atheist and I don't think you were saying either of what they said and that your reasoning is...

If you dont sense any tone of superiority or self-satisfaction in that comment then we must be reading different things.

anonons avatar anonon Disagree 0Reply
@anonon If you dont sense any tone of superiority or self-satisfaction in that comment then we must be reading different things.

I mean, sure the tone can come of as demeaning, but I don't think the actually message behind it is offensive at all. She's saying that, as Christians, we think the most important thing to do is to love others as God loved us. Atheists don't think that way. That's not a bad thing. It doesn't make them any worse than Christians. It's just different

@Fanatic I mean, sure the tone can come of as demeaning, but I don't think the actually message behind it is offensive at...

I never said I disagreed with that sentiment. I just think that the "holier than thou" attitude was overwhelming. She played it off as being better than others by having "higher standards" and that is just utter bs.

anonons avatar anonon Disagree 0Reply

Oh for crying out loud. Stop. Theists are not any nore moral than an atheist. Stop being so self-satisfied.

anonons avatar anonon Disagree -1Reply
@anonon Oh for crying out loud. Stop. Theists are not any nore moral than an atheist. Stop being so self-satisfied.

They didn't imply theists are more moral, you inferred that for no reason. Christians are morally obligated through their religion to show love, some atheists feel that obligation too but being an atheist doesn't mean you have a moral obligation to show love like being a Christian does.

@1906226

Well, us Atheists are free to do that. That doesn't mean we do or have no moral standard. It just means that, assuming the Christian don't use their religion to justify hate and actually follows the teachings, they're morally obligated to do show everyone love, and while an Atheist doesn't have a God to tell them that treating everyone with love is moral, the Atheist may take that moral onto them self, or they may not have it at all. I think maybe the reason you read into it like that is because the whole "atheists don't have morals but I'm a Christian and I do" idea is a pretty popular one so hearing "I have my morals from being Christian" can inspire the already heard of idea "and you don't, because you're not."

@Frank_n_Furter They didn't imply theists are more moral, you inferred that for no reason. Christians are morally obligated through...

You say that Christians are morally obligated by their religion to be loving. That's quite a blanket statement. The Bible says anything you want if you read it the right way. Even phrases as basic as "love they neighbor" and "thou shalt not kill" are open to interpretation, and billions of people disagree with each other on what exactly Christianity (or any other faith) obligates its followers to do. Christian A says that God obviously commands his followers to act in this way because of this part of the Bible. Christian B has the opposite perspective. It's all subjective.

@AtheisticMystic You say that Christians are morally obligated by their religion to be loving. That's quite a blanket statement. The...

Being a loving person is something that is stated so many times throughout the bible. Loving others is a universal Christian theme. That's not something that can really be misinterpreted, although I'm sure some people still do coughWestboroBaptistChurchcough

Morality is subjective. I believe that everyone has them, but they differ from person to person.

@1905998

Sense you mentioned stupidity, I think it's worth noting studies have shown atheists typically have higher IQs than theists.

@Frank_n_Furter Sense you mentioned stupidity, I think it's worth noting studies have shown atheists typically have higher IQs than...

That doesn't surprise me. I think atheists are atheists for the exact reason that they are very intelligent. They believe in what they see and won't put their trust in something that there is no evidence of.