+11

Schools tend to put too much emphasis on subjects that really won't have any effect on your life unless you choose a very specific career path (trigonometry, chemistry, etc) while neglecting those that are the most important to the average person (reading, writing, etc)

WinniethePoohs avatar Education
0 7

Agree. Many schools don't even touch on the really important "subjects" like how to get a job, personal finance, diction, logic and scientific method. As an old man looking back, critical thinking skills can be taught, but for me were left as a byproduct of the other disciplines. Also, if a student is taught how to learn, the fire is lit and rest comes naturally.

@VicZinc Agree. Many schools don't even touch on the really important "subjects" like how to get a job, personal finance...

this is the good thing about the IB program, in TOK (theory of knowledge) we get some of that, like logic and scientific method and different ways of knowing and learning and stuff
also things like ethics and their role, and emotion vs reason, and other useful things

@lecornergirl this is the good thing about the IB program, in TOK (theory of knowledge) we get some of that, like logic and...

That sounds like it is on the right track. In my day I had to wait until university to get any of that.

I don't follow what you mean

English is one of those select few classes that are required every single year

@fuzala I don't follow what you mean English is one of those select few classes that are required every single year

But how much and what content do you learn in that class? In my own school, we learn about the difference between static and dynamic characters...not how to write college essays or interpret literature, etc

@WinniethePooh But how much and what content do you learn in that class? In my own school, we learn about the difference between...

can't that be said about other subjects?
the class doesn't have enough time or the resources to cover the material for all these different subjects that have near infinite information

but with English
it's emphasized in other classes too
like social studies, science, etc.
when asked to write papers, answer discussion questions, etc.

I almost wish my English class didn't make me write college essays or interpret literature, but it is probably for the best.