+2

A female democratic strategist has said women don't need to be armed to protect themselves against rape that men just need to be told not to rape. Then when the other guy argued with her she went on to say "you act like rape is a faceless, nameless criminal, we need to start the conversation". This woman is an idiot and this is about the most idiotic argument for gun control you have heard recently, amirite?

lgc0615s avatar Politics
0 5
The voters have decided that lgc0615 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I am leaning toward pro-gun, the gun part is not the reason why I downvoted this post. The part that I agree with the strategist on is that men need to be told not to rape. Instead of shaming women for situations they have no control over (while promoting ads that depict women in demeaning positions), we need to look at the problem of violent acts against women that are unacceptable. Guns may help women defend themselves against rapists, but I think the argument of self-defense against systemic oppression is enough to support the right to bear arms. Saying we need to tell men not to rape is a valid point. So while I agree (to an extent) on the gun issue, the argument in this post is flawed.

@MusicIsAGift I am leaning toward pro-gun, the gun part is not the reason why I downvoted this post. The part that I agree with...

I agree with you. Here's the problem I have when it comes to most people's opinions on rape; people like to look at is as black and white. Some people think that suggesting that women defend themselves is ridiculous and perpetuates a "rape culture". They don't understand that rape does happen, and telling men not to rape will not cover all bases. Some people are socio/psycho-paths, and nothing short of death will stop them from doing what they wish to do. On the other hand, some people think that giving women a means of defending themselves will prevent all rapes, and eliminate the need to try treating rapists. Neither seem to realize that both sides will help reduce what is ultimately an unsolvable problem. We also need to realize this; the problem will have no solution until we can assure that every person born is of adequate mental health. We understand the human mind far too poorly.

We certainly tell people not to kill or steal, and that happens all the time. Why would "telling" men not to rape be any more effective?

AtheisticMystics avatar AtheisticMystic Yeah You Are +1Reply
@AtheisticMystic We certainly tell people not to kill or steal, and that happens all the time. Why would "telling" men not to rape...

Because it seems like it is often a self-control issue and we as a society should be encouraging methods of self-control.

I think men have been told for centuries not to rape. They go to jail for it. No, I do not think women should be shamed for rape but telling men not to rape is not going to work because we already tell them not to do that yet they still do.

lgc0615s avatar lgc0615 Yeah You Are 0Reply