+18

I should be able to say "Do you have a black pen?" to one of my black friends without the other people in my class (AND the teacher) thinking it was some sort of racist joke, amirite?

SirAnonymouss avatar Education
0 5
The voters have decided that SirAnonymous is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

what?
that's ridiculous

did this happen to you?

@fuzala what? that's ridiculous did this happen to you?

Yeah. He was in the other side of the room and it was fairly noisy (as in everyone was just talking and whatnot, so it didn't really matter). I asked him for a black pen then the people who heard it and even the teacher gave me the stink eye. In the end the teacher was the one who ended up giving me the pen.

Like seriously, it's ridiculous.

SirAnonymouss avatar SirAnonymous Yeah You Are 0Reply
@SirAnonymous Yeah. He was in the other side of the room and it was fairly noisy (as in everyone was just talking and whatnot, so...

so no one actually said something?

maybe it wasn't a stink eye
but you misinterpreted it as the stink eye

I mean were they looking at you like this?

.

maybe they were feeling bored or gassy

@fuzala so no one actually said something? maybe it wasn't a stink eye but you misinterpreted it as the stink eye I mean...

I can guarantee you it was the stink eye. The look they give me was like "Oh (my name here), thought you knew better than to say something like that" as if they were disappointed that I said something that was racist (even though it wasn't even meant to be racist in the slightest).

@SirAnonymous I can guarantee you it was the stink eye. The look they give me was like "Oh (my name here), thought you knew...

but they didn't actually say that did they?

we can easily misinterpret the looks people give us based on our previous experiences

there is absolutely no issue to ask for a black pen