+38

Emotions are like an angry lion. Our job as evolved beings is to chain them up and tame them. Unfortunately, more often than usual, we are not given chains. We are given string

comedic_philosophers avatar Life
5 16

I don't think "chaining up" ypur emotions is a good thing. Emotions are natural and should be expressed in one way or another

@BetterThanEzra1119 I don't think "chaining up" ypur emotions is a good thing. Emotions are natural and should be expressed in one way...

I think it's more like restraining them so that you can tame them and not let them take control of you, rather than suppress them. At first, you need the chain to restrain them while you tame them, but afterwards, you don't need to restrain them because they're tame. However, most people aren't given enough will to restrain them in the first place

@Watchful_questioneer I think it's more like restraining them so that you can tame them and not let them take control of you, rather than...

Yeah but science has shown that technically we don't control emotions because they are purely subconscious. We can control how we express them, but not the emotions themselves. That's why you need to deal with them strictly

@comedic_philosopher Yeah but science has shown that technically we don't control emotions because they are purely subconscious. We can...

I don't know, as kid I used to get angry and stay angry for at least a day, utterly fixated on the smallest nuisance. Now, I can diffuse my own anger. It hardly ever lasts more than an hour. Same with sadness.

@Watchful_questioneer I don't know, as kid I used to get angry and stay angry for at least a day, utterly fixated on the smallest...

I guess I'm just more of an emotional person. I rarely express them in front of others, but I definitely feel them. I think emotions are good, perfectly healthy to experience. Maybe it's just the perspective.

@BetterThanEzra1119 I guess I'm just more of an emotional person. I rarely express them in front of others, but I definitely feel them...

No, I'm not advocating not showing or even not feeling negative emotions, because that would diminish our appreciation of positive emotions. I simply think that we should feel them in moderation, and have enough control to prevent us from getting absorbed in emotion and letting it get out of hand

Of course, but only at the proper time. If you've ever taken a public speaking course, you've probably learned that emotions can be a powerful tool for persuasion and manipulation. Evoke your audience's emotion. Appeals to the emotions are common in everyday communication. We're bombarded with advertising aimed at making us feel positively about a product or service. Lawyers routinely use emotional levers to sway jurors. Elections are won or lost over how well rivals can connect emotionally with voters. And let's not forget how the news media evokes fear into viewers to keep them watching. So you should definitely find a way to let them out at some point but when it comes to important decision making, lock them up as well as you can until the decision has been made.

So you are saying that we should just run around and be a slave to our emotions?

Perhaps you are a particularly level-headed person, but I'd have murdered so many people and killed myself if I didn't learn to manage my responses to emotions.

@Mike_Hawk So you are saying that we should just run around and be a slave to our emotions? Perhaps you are a particularly...

You completely misread this post. I was saying that we need to better control our emotions, but that it's more often than not difficult

Isn't killing another more of a primitive, instint thing? Emotions are a little more complex.

I have the laziest lion in the world. And that's sayign something, considering what lions are really like.

I usually just give the guy some pot and he mellows out.