+4

Although both characteristics are poor, it is a bit worse to be racist than homophobic, amirite?

comedic_philosophers avatar Life
1 8
The voters have decided that comedic_philosopher is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Because I think that race is more universal and permanent than sexuality. You'll always be white, lets say, but eventually you loose your sexuality

@comedic_philosopher Because I think that race is more universal and permanent than sexuality. You'll always be white, lets say, but...

Sorry I didn't see this until now (since its an entirely separate comment, i wasn't notified of it).

Well, one might argue that sexuality has an even greater impact on one's life than race. While race only plays a role in some scholarships, perhaps culture, and such- sexuality directly affects the people who you spend the rest of your like with. I think sexuality plays a bigger role in lifestyle than race, and that it's therefore more insulting to hate a person's sexuality (though it's just as bad, morally, to do so).

@Watchful_questioneer Sorry I didn't see this until now (since its an entirely separate comment, i wasn't notified of it). Well, one...

Yes but people are able to control their sexuality, like how priests take a vow of chastity. No one, without surgery, can control their skin color, so that's why I feel it's more intimate.

@comedic_philosopher Yes but people are able to control their sexuality, like how priests take a vow of chastity. No one, without...

Well, it's been shown that not even priests can suppress such urges. While some people can suppress sexual desire and possibly just stay in the closet, it's miserable. It's not a matter of "can you suppress sexuality?" it's a matter of "how long can you?"

I do not believe that anybody has control of their sexuality. If you're gay, you can't change it, and you shouldn't suppress it, and same with straight people. Both characteristics (homophobia and racism) center around thinking you're better than someone because of something nobody can control. Being a certain race or being of a certain sexuality do not make you an inferior person, and it is equally wrong to believe so for either trait.

I'm assuming you mean "worse" as in "more morally wrong", not "having (or already having had) a worse impact on humanity", right?

@Watchful_questioneer I do not believe that anybody has control of their sexuality. If you're gay, you can't change it, and you shouldn't...

Yes, but the fact remains that priests and others are able to not follow their baser instincts and can live happy lives. I believe sexuality is natural, beautiful, and important, but it is not without its responsibilities. One needs to be responsible with his or her sexuality, but not with their race. The only responsibility that comes with race is being careful not to sunburn.

When i say responsibilities, i'm talking in terms of not getting STI's and not impregnating someone.

@comedic_philosopher Yes, but the fact remains that priests and others are able to not follow their baser instincts and can live happy...

I don't see what that has anything to do with the post. Are you saying that it's okay to look down on certain sexualities more because there are more responsibilities revolving around sexuality in general?

And the fact remains that a shameful number of priests aren't able to ignore their basic instincts and live happy lives. Perhaps some can, but many still try their best and fail, and there's huge publicity about such failures now. I think that teaches a lesson about trying to ignore instinct and avoid that which we as humans have been bred to desire most of all.