+83

For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief. Ecclesiastes 1:18

Fanatics avatar Religion
1 29

I really hope bible quotes won't be a new trend on the home page.

@Frank_n_Furter I really hope bible quotes won't be a new trend on the home page.

Why? I think the bible is full of a ton of interesting things that are still relevant to anyone today, even if you're not a Christian

@Fanatic Why? I think the bible is full of a ton of interesting things that are still relevant to anyone today, even if...

Because if I wanted to read things from the bible I'd pick up the bible and read it. I don't come here for that. I wouldn't mind if you included your opinion on the quote, because I come here for people's unique opinions I couldn't hear anywhere else.

@VicZinc I plan to post some

Why? I don't really see the point in doing that. Will you be including your opinion on the quote?

@Frank_n_Furter Why? I don't really see the point in doing that. Will you be including your opinion on the quote?

I will be when I get around to it, ideally if the OP of such a post agrees they'll expand upon it though.
I don't see the issue really, I mean if there was like a flood of them on the just in or homepage that'd be annoying but like most things they will eventually just be a moderately done thing.

@Len I will be when I get around to it, ideally if the OP of such a post agrees they'll expand upon it though. I don't...

If it stays a moderately done thing, I guess I'm fine with it, but I thought the thing where people took things from other sites and put them here wouldn't be done much either, so I guess maybe I'm paranoid because of that. I suppose you're right.

@Frank_n_Furter If it stays a moderately done thing, I guess I'm fine with it, but I thought the thing where people took things...

And then Jesus breathed on them... "-sigh-" and they exclaimed, "eww, dude, tuna breath." -Deuteronomy 11:11

Seems like they took away the citation option so we'll have to put it in the post like OP did.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Disagree 0Reply
@Fanatic But I agree with what it says. It's also my opinion

I know that, but I can read this version of your opinion a million other place, I want to read your original and unique version. I just really don't like the idea of this site turning into a place to take things from one place then putting them here.

I thought something nice like Gen 19:36...

So both of Lot's daughters became pregnant by their father.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Disagree -1Reply
@VicZinc I thought something nice like Gen 19:36... So both of Lot's daughters became pregnant by their father.

Not saying you have to agree with anything, or that that story was even something any Christians "agree" with, seeing as it was just a story. I'm just saying, there are some very wise things in the bible

@Fanatic Not saying you have to agree with anything, or that that story was even something any Christians "agree" with...

Indeed - there are some very wise things in Lewis Carroll also. Maybe I'll quote him instead.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Disagree 0Reply

Knowledge is happiness, because to have knowledge broad, deep knowledge is to know true ends from false, and lofty things from low.

• Helen Keller
VicZincs avatar VicZinc Disagree +2Reply

Keep the masses in ignorance for an uneducated mass is a controllable mass. Ecclesiastes 1:18

I enjoy the idea of discussing sections of religious texts with posts/comments. Although I'm an atheist I know that there are plenty of good and/or interesting things in many religious texts that are worthwhile contemplating.

@Len I enjoy the idea of discussing sections of religious texts with posts/comments. Although I'm an atheist I know that...

I know what you mean. This one seems misguided to me. It's very pessimistic to think that knowledge is a downer.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Disagree +1Reply

This is my favorite book in the bible.

what does this mean exactly?

@fuzala what does this mean exactly?

The writer of Ecclesiastes calls himself Koheleth and claims to be the son of King David. He searches for the meaning of life but it is illusory, so he determines that all his hard work, studying and search were pointless. He claims that knowledge is a waste of time because you can never really know the mind of god so why bother. Or something to that end.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Disagree 0Reply
@VicZinc The writer of Ecclesiastes calls himself Koheleth and claims to be the son of King David. He searches for the...

Is this about knowledge overall?
or about knowledge concerning the meaning of life specifically?

because I already figured out the meaning of life
http://amirite.com/748279-peopl...tips-they-just

@fuzala Is this about knowledge overall? or about knowledge concerning the meaning of life specifically? because I already...

Interpretations are best left to the individual least you fall prey to a charlatan masked as a prophet.

Here is a help full link for reading biblical text if you don't have it already.

http://www.biblegateway.com/pas...mp;version=NIV

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Disagree 0Reply
@VicZinc Interpretations are best left to the individual least you fall prey to a charlatan masked as a prophet. Here is a...

really?

I think it's best to leave interpretations to the scholars in that specific field
especially since they do extensive studies/research on the topics

If I wanna know something about rocks
my best bet is the geologist

I think verses in holy books get taken out of context more so with us common folk

I think there are certain qualifications people should meet before they start interpreting
especially with the differences in opinion

@fuzala really? I think it's best to leave interpretations to the scholars in that specific field especially since they...

Interesting. Out of curiosity, when you read other books do you ask literary scholars to interpret them for you? When you watch a movie do you sit with a cinematographer so you can ask questions?
Where would we be if Copernicus had relied on Ptolemy's interpretations? Or Einstein on Newton, or Hawking on Einstein.

Certainly research is helpful in grasping difficult concepts. When I want to learn about rocks I certainly do some research, but I also smash a few and add my own conclusions to the growing body of knowledge.

@VicZinc Interesting. Out of curiosity, when you read other books do you ask literary scholars to interpret them for you?...

the books I read are written in a language that I grew up with

holy books are from so long ago that I couldn't understand it on my own
they're written in a language that I am not familiar with
you know what I mean?

take William Shakespeare
I don't know what he's saying
I can get so many interpretations by looking at one of his phrases
but he's really confusing to me

and I did say the best bet is to go to a geologist
not that it was the only way to gain more knowledge about rocks

like with mental health
I'd trust advice from a psychologist moreso than a friend