+53

Shame on people who profiteer from human tragedy.

Image for post Shame on people who profiteer from human tragedy.
VicZincs avatar Politics
1 9

Are you saying that the fact that greedy politicians benefit from tragedy is worse than the tragedy itself?

@Watchful_questioneer Are you saying that the fact that greedy politicians benefit from tragedy is worse than the tragedy itself?

Well, we have almost twice the amount of food necessary to feed every human being on Earth and the food is not getting to the people. Greed plays a significant role in this.

Not just politicians. Heads of "charitable" organizations, bankers who finance wars and reconstructions, merchants who raise prices after storms, warlords who steal red cross/red crescent shipments and resell them to other relief agencies, etc etc.

@VicZinc Not just politicians. Heads of "charitable" organizations, bankers who finance wars and reconstructions, merchants...

Well, I think the fact that they aren't getting fed is worse than the fact that some people benefit from that fact. However, if you mean that greed is more at fault for people not getting fed than natural disaster, then I agree. i'm not sure which you mean, though

@Watchful_questioneer Well, I think the fact that they aren't getting fed is worse than the fact that some people benefit from that fact...

Fair enough. I meant morally. Humankind has a moral obligation (I think) to house/fed these children and to eventually relocate them. For every day that goes by that they suffer, we (read: the collective human race) suffer moral disgrace. The moral disgrace of profiteering (in my opinion) is even more heinous. The is our complacency.

@JeffGigliotti http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_pa...ead_wrong.html

Nice try but Dan Pallotta was discredited by several charities when they determined that he was making too much money off them (and I get that his argument is that he and other CEOs deserve high salaries because they are so good at fund-raising) however plenty of smart people are not motivated solely by greed. Oh and plenty of MBAs give up 6 figure salaries to work with disadvantaged people (myself included). So no I don't buy the argument that non-profit agencies should get both the "no-tax" advantage and the "retain huge surplus" advantage - pick one not both.

That being said, this post was about profiteers who steel from the Red Cross (for example) and then resell the stolen goods on the black market. I do not begrudge a non-profit CEO her salary, I do take issue with price gouging.