+175

Numbers mean too much to people; whether it's weight, grades, IQ, etc., we're all guilty of letting such trivial things define us.

Lindsay_Con_Quesos avatar People & Celebrities
11 21

THE AMOUNT IN YOUR BANK ACCOUNT.

The level of greed in the world is sickening.

Exactly. Whatever happened to just calling people stupid, fat, poor, etc.

While they don't define us entirely, that doesn't make them trivial. They're still important, and we should strive to make improvements where they are deemed necessary by our standards. Just because they aren't the sole deciding factor in how good a person we are, doesn't mean they're trivial.

@Watchful_questioneer While they don't define us entirely, that doesn't make them trivial. They're still important, and we should...

Trivial in the sense that if you can't improve something (like IQ) or you're trying your darnedest but to no avail, it's ridiculous that a swear smilie number can wreck your self esteem.

@Lindsay_Con_Queso Trivial in the sense that if you can't improve something (like IQ) or you're trying your darnedest but to no avail...

Oh, when it comes to things you can't change, then I'd agree, but I don't really see that being specified by the post. Weight and finances are difficult, but possible to change (especially weight). But weight can be hereditary in some cases, and finances aren't always fair. So I think its okay to judge people not on where they stand in those aspects, but how much effort they're putting into improving those aspects.

@Watchful_questioneer You're right in saying that it isn't the number that defines that, so I then agree with the post.

Yeah, I should have been more specific. I was just super angry when I wrote this so I wasn't really thinking cry smilie

@Lindsay_Con_Queso Yeah, I should have been more specific. I was just super angry when I wrote this so I wasn't really thinking

Its fine, I understand where you're coming from. Making a post when angry is like shopping when you're hungry.

@Lindsay_Con_Queso Sometimes, you can tell which users are going through breakups

I'm sorry, just remember- If you live life with hope and prospect, the happiest moments in it are still to come. I don't know if that helps

@Watchful_questioneer I'm sorry, just remember- If you live life with hope and prospect, the happiest moments in it are still to come. I...

Oh, I wasn't talking about me! Haha just an observation. But thanks! I'll remember that the next time I break up hehe smilie

@Watchful_questioneer Haha sorry, as soon as I said it I had a mild hunch I was wrong, my bad

Haha, it's all good. I apologize for making you mildly uncomfortable. One of life's most awkward situations is consoling a person you do not know about a breakup.

@Lindsay_Con_Queso Haha, it's all good. I apologize for making you mildly uncomfortable. One of life's most awkward situations is...

Haha it's fine, I consider myself pretty good at handling awkward situations, thanks to the many I've found myself in over the years. Some I've only recently learned to laugh about.

Those aren't that trivial at all. We form the society that values those things.

@Kratosisterrifying Those aren't that trivial at all. We form the society that values those things.

But when you're forced into that society, no matter how much you disagree with it, it seems so silly that society lets numbers control your life. It's like how awesome of a person you are is based on numbers, which isn't fair at all.

@Lindsay_Con_Queso But when you're forced into that society, no matter how much you disagree with it, it seems so silly that society...

Well, what is "awesome"? People have a right to make their own judgments of that, and if most people believe that a certain aspect of life tied to a certain number makes you less awesome, then that is completely fair for them to. It is their right to do so. And while much judgment is placed on measurable things, I'd hardly say it's the only factor society takes into account when judging people. There's also kindness, funniness, wisdom, and other such attributes.

Honestly, society doesn't control us. Our response to peer pressure from society controls us. It definitely influences us, but it doesn't have to control us.

Even if society's judgment of how awesome we are were entirely dependent on measurable things, there is no universal definition or unanimous consensus on what "awesome" is, and, being subjective, society is entitled to its own opinions and it would be far more unfair to take away individuals' rights to judge by their own standards just because some people don't feel the same way.