-1

Using the word "them" to refer to a group of humans is by its very nature divisive. It would be impossible, but if we could eliminate that one use of the word, the world would be a better place. Amirite?

VicZincs avatar
1 9
The voters have decided that VicZinc is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I feel like it's necessary
and if them goes away
doesn't they have to go along with it?

like if my brothers spilled milk
I wan to be able to say
THEY DID IT
IT WAS THEM

unless that's not even what you're saying
and I read your post wrong wary smilie

@fuzala I feel like it's necessary and if them goes away doesn't they have to go along with it? like if my...

That's exactly what I am saying. Separating you from them [making the distinction that they are different from you]

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are 0Reply
@VicZinc That's exactly what I am saying. Separating you from them [making the distinction that they are different from...

what if you find two thieves
and you don't know their names

and you're asked
who did it?
how do you say
it was them
they did it

would you say
those two did it?
or those people did it?

but then those people has that same feeling of division hmm smilie

@fuzala what if you find two thieves and you don't know their names and you're asked who did it? how do you say it was...

I said it would be impossible - but it would be nice. And it is something to think about. Lot's of times you can use an inclusive word instead.

Who spilled the milk?
One of us did!

so I was looking at your pie graph religion post
and I thought that the use of "you"
had a feeling of division

what do you think?

@fuzala so I was looking at your pie graph religion post and I thought that the use of "you" had a feeling of...

I see that. I used the word us to mollify it a bit. you is such a part of the Amirite syntax that I wanted to get it in early because it seems the reader expects it early in a post. My original draft was something like: "...worship a god who is unfamiliar to many people" but then there were space issues, and wordiness issue.

But that is a good observation.