+126

Child pornography laws should change to reflect the age of consent. It's counter-intuitive and potentially life ruining that a person can be arrested for having a naked picture of someone they can legally have sex with, amirite?

Mike_Hawks avatar
1 40
The voters have decided that Mike_Hawk is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Child pornography is not bad because it is evil to look at naked children, it is bad because a child cannot legally consent to having naked pictures taken. It is the welfare of the child that is of concern not the perversion of the viewer. That is why child anime is legal but child photos/videos are not.

@VicZinc Child pornography is not bad because it is evil to look at naked children, it is bad because a child cannot legally...

So, why can the child consent to having sex with someone, but not taking a picture? I am 19; say I was going out with a 17 year old. I could have sex with them 24/7, and the law would have no problem with that. One day, she decides to send me a naked picture of herself. Suddenly, I can go to jail for 10 years. How does that make sense?

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are +11Reply
@Mike_Hawk So, why can the child consent to having sex with someone, but not taking a picture? I am 19; say I was going out...

Each municipality sets an "age of consent." Texas was 14 when I was in highschool. Some developing nations, it is still very low. You can lobby to have the laws changed in your area. But I doubt many would go for allowing pre-pubescent children consent to sex. [not saying your friend is pre-pubescent - just saying on principle I agree that a 17 years old can consent, maybe 16, maybe 15, but 11, 10?] - the law needs to draw a line. I don't know where that line is - it is like the voting/drinking age question, some are ready younger some are never ready. But a line is drawn and you need to actively change it if you disagree with where is it now set.

@VicZinc Each municipality sets an "age of consent." Texas was 14 when I was in highschool. Some developing nations, it is...

I'm not disagreeing with the age of consent, I'm disagreeing with the definition of child pornography not lining up with the age of consent. In my area, the age of consent is 16. However, child pornography constitutes a sexual picture/video of anyone under the age of 18. I think they should be the same; i.e. People can consent to sex and taking sexual pictures at 16 or 18, rather than them being split.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are +2Reply

Well it kind of assumes that the age of consent is drawn fairly. If it is, then I think the legal age for being filmed/photographed doing something sexual should be based off of that.

The difference is a factor of being exploited. Consensual sex can happen under 18 years old in Canada, but not if it's being exploited.

I agree partially. I don't think a (even consenting) person is ready to be filmed or photographed nude as soon as they can legally consent to sex. It should not be as far past teh age of consent as it is now, but I don't think it should be the age of consent.

@Watchful_questioneer I agree partially. I don't think a (even consenting) person is ready to be filmed or photographed nude as soon as...

I think the age of consent can be debated, but being photographed/filmed nude should be lumped in with being able to consent to sex. I can't really think of a reason why it shouldn't. I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are +6Reply
@Mike_Hawk I think the age of consent can be debated, but being photographed/filmed nude should be lumped in with being able...

Well, I think that being able to consent to sex doesn't make you immediately mature enough to consent to being filmed/photographed, because that's something that people can use against you. There should be a little time passed between the legal age for the two so that a person can learn to be responsible about sex before they allow someone to film anything that could end up on the internet or in the wrong hands in general.

@Watchful_questioneer Well, I think that being able to consent to sex doesn't make you immediately mature enough to consent to being...

I see, that's pretty reasonable. How about reducing penalties in certain cases? Say someone was caught with a nude picture of someone who is underage, but over the age of consent, and without any intent to distribute? They can still potentially get 10 years in prison. I think it should be reduced to a fine, if punished at all.

@Mike_Hawk I see, that's pretty reasonable. How about reducing penalties in certain cases? Say someone was caught with a nude...

I agree completely. It should not be as severe as someone viewing underage and under the age of consent porn. Especially if the person viewing it is not within a certain number of years of age as those involved in the porn.

I'm not sure who, but there's a prominent porn director/producer who's advocating that the minimum age of exploitation of consensual sex be raised from 18 to 21 - because he feels that lots of young people make really poor and uncalcualated decisions at 18.

To add to your point, consent to sex also doesn't mean you're mature enough to handle the outcomes that may happen after sex. It of course varies by individual but there are people who obtain sex drives before they obtain maturity and responsibility.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are 0Reply

I'd really like to know people's reasons for disagreeing. I'm still not sure I even understand Vic's reason.

@Mike_Hawk I'd really like to know people's reasons for disagreeing. I'm still not sure I even understand Vic's reason.

Cause any mention of child pornography scares people... unless they're on 4chan.

The laws should just be more specific to exclude consenting partners. Someone with naked pictures of a sixteen-year old should still be found guilty, just with exceptions.

I don't see how you could get caught in the example you mentioned

@I don't see how you could get caught in the example you mentioned

Getting caught is irrelevant. It shouldn't be illegal in the first place.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Mike_Hawk Getting caught is irrelevant. It shouldn't be illegal in the first place.

I guess I NWed because I didn't read/understand that you think it should coincide with the age of consent. After thinking about it, I agree with W_Q that consenting to make a porno has weightier consequences than simply shaggy with a person of similar age.

So I still disagree that the age of consent for coitus = age of consent for porn.

@VicZinc I guess I NWed because I didn't read/understand that you think it should coincide with the age of consent. After...

I can't believe it took me this long to come up with a counter-point. Consenting to sex also comes with the possibility of pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections. I think those consequences are pretty heavy; probably heavier than the possibility of one's naked form being spread throughout the internet.

Perhaps the age of consent should be changed, I don't know. I still firmly stand by the "If I can have sex with them, I should be able to have a nude picture of them" point.

@Mike_Hawk I can't believe it took me this long to come up with a counter-point. Consenting to sex also comes with the...

I agree with "If I can have sex with them, I should be able to have a nude picture of them" I disagree with, "if they can have sex with me they should be able to perform sex in a video that will be distributed for profit."

@VicZinc I agree with "If I can have sex with them, I should be able to have a nude picture of them" I disagree with, "if...

There could possibly be a difference when it comes to actual pornography. Intent to distribute kinda changes things up. The post is about personal exchanges between friends/people in a relationship.

@VicZinc I only have one word: Kodachrome.

That seems like a lot of trouble. Man, I just want to see my legal friends naked when they're not here.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are +1Reply

I sorta agree but the only way you could really get caught with nude pics of your underage gf is if you were trying to distribute them, in which case you deserve whatever punishment you get.

@I sorta agree but the only way you could really get caught with nude pics of your underage gf is if you were trying...

Someone could steal your phone, hack into your computer, search through your belongings in your room come across the pictures, or anything. Just because you don't intend on distributing something it doesn't mean people can't/won't find it.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +2Reply
@StickCaveman Someone could steal your phone, hack into your computer, search through your belongings in your room come across...

That happened to a friend of mine. Someone got into his phone and found pictures of his girlfriend. So it is very possible to get caught, even when they had no intention of anybody seeing them or distributing them.

BuddyCakess avatar BuddyCakes Yeah You Are 0Reply

Steal your phone and then report you to the authorities for child pornography? Highly unlikely. And if they release the pics, they'll get charged with child porn, not you. unless you're a famous celeb, no ones gonna hack you for pics. Besides, if someone trusts you with those kinda of pics, you should really take precautions to make sure no one else can see them. Its not that hard.

@Steal your phone and then report you to the authorities for child pornography? Highly unlikely. And if they release...

No shit?

You've never had a relative or friend take your phone and start looking through it without your consent? It doesn't have to be 'stealing' and they could see the pictures and turn you in for having them.

@StickCaveman No shit? You've never had a relative or friend take your phone and start looking through it without your consent?...

Then lock your phone. If I had pics like that, id be more weary about who I let use my phone. Plus relatives or friends wouldn't turn you in for having nude pics of your gf. I agree that it shouldn't be illegal, but its not really a crime someone could get caught for so it doesn't seem like a problem that really needs addressing.

@Then lock your phone. If I had pics like that, id be more weary about who I let use my phone. Plus relatives or...

Or you know, just not have the pictures at all because without the pictures nobody could find them, right? But that's not what I'm discussing.

@StickCaveman Or you know, just not have the pictures at all because without the pictures nobody could find them, right? But...

I know. I just found the example unrealistic. The only way you could get caught with them is if you tried to show them off in which case you should be punished. But I agree with the overall message of the post.

Just because it's easy to avoid getting caught doesn't mean there should be a punishment for it.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are -1Reply

I think if a group of teens are goofing off and taking naked pictures of themselves and/or each other, they shouldn't face prison for doing that. They should definitely get counseling and be made to understand that anything they post online is permanent, but they shouldn't be punished as if they were pervy guys in their 40s taking inappropriate pictures of grade school age children.

silverfang77s avatar silverfang77 Yeah You Are 0Reply

The reason child pornography ages and age of consent differ is because, even without explicit intent to distribute, pictures have a way of getting around. Phones get stolen, emails get hacked, and people send text messages in anger. What starts out as a 17 year old having a naked picture of his 16 year old girlfriend can easily turn into a 40 year old man having child porn.
Another issue is that people in pictures never age. After a few years if the picture never gets deleted the boyfriend turns into a 25 year old man with a picture of a child. With sex, the age difference will always be the same.

@pikabeau The reason child pornography ages and age of consent differ is because, even without explicit intent to distribute...

The thing is, that 40 year old man and 25 year old man are completely fine if they decided to have sex with that 16 year old girl (in my area, anyway). The consequences of pictures seems less severe than the consequences of having sex. With pictures/video, the child's physical well-being isn't compromised. With sex, there's the possibility of pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections.

I don't understand why anyone over the age of 18 can legally have sex with a 16 year old (in my area), but nobody can look at her naked in a picture.

To put it another way, I don't understand why a 16 year old is expected to be able to make a reasonable decision when it comes to the possibility of diseases and pregnancy, but has laws to protect her from the possibility of her nude image being spread around.

@Mike_Hawk The thing is, that 40 year old man and 25 year old man are completely fine if they decided to have sex with that 16...

In most areas the age of consent allows a person who is 16 to have sex with anyone up to two years older than them.
I don't think 16 year olds should be able to have sex legally. They're too young to fully comprehend the consequences. I think the age should be 18 across the board for everyone. It's another issue entirely if both people are underage though. I'm not 100% sure how that one should be handled.
Eighteen isn't some magical age where people reach understanding, but it is when people are considered adults. Sex is definitely an adult decision.

@pikabeau In most areas the age of consent allows a person who is 16 to have sex with anyone up to two years older than...

I can agree with "across the board for everyone". In my area, and most areas I have checked, 16 is the age of consent. Once someone is 16, they can legally consent to having sex with anyone they want that is older than 14. The "within two years" thing only applies if one of the people is under the age on consent.

I'm not saying that the age that constitutes child pornography should be lowered, I just think it should be in line with the age of consent. This means one could be lowered, one can be raised, they can meet in the middle, etc.

in the state I live in age of consent is 16 and the 16 year old can have sex with anyone as long as they are to of age of consent and the older person does't have authority over the 16 year old so with that said a 16 year old can have sex with a 70 year old man but the moment she sends a nude pic the law gets involved if found out and ppl do have ways of finding out if you still have them in your possession happened to a friend of mine he is 20 and the girl was 16 and he and his roommates had the same kind of phone just different providers his phone was sitting on the coffee table on the charger his roommate and his roommate's gf went to leave she grabbed my friends phone by mistake thinking it was her bf's and she got curious and she wanted to see if he was cheating on her so she looked through my friends phone the next thing he new they were arguing my friend heard his gf's name as he my friends roommate's gf said who is this girl and why she naked on your phone my friend spoke up and said it's not his phone it's mine and his roommate also knew his gf as well and knew she was 16 they kept the secret till my friend had to move out then reported him cuz the roommates gf got angry at my friend cuz according to her my friend was the reason they lost the apartment but really his roommate was spending money he didn't have on himself and his gf and my friend had no intent to distribute the pics of his 16 year old gf I have known him for awhile he's the type of person that wouldn't want anyone seeing his gf naked now you tell me did my friend deserve to face 4 years in prison for possession of child abusive sexual material

Anonymous