VictoriaSpiders avatar TV, Movies & Theatre
2 36

South Park says things that need to be said but others are to PC to say. It often explores topics that are too taboo for mainstream TV and it reveals aspect of society and them focuses on perspectives that narrow-minded people hold, and it points out the absurdity of those beliefs. I think it is one of the few shows worth watching. It does not surprise me that people who prefer to let others do their thinking for them don't like it.

@VicZinc South Park says things that need to be said but others are to PC to say. It often explores topics that are too...

it's just not my cup of tea
I think there are more tasteful ways to expose absurdity

I feel that it goes back to this post:
http://www.amirite.com/758323-t...ovies-stand-up

It's offensive in a way that makes a (sometimes profound) point.

@Frank_n_Furter It's offensive in a way that makes a (sometimes profound) point.

Exactly. They don't sugarcoat anything for anybody. There's not "oh hey, guys, we might hurt somebody's feelings on this bit. I don't think we should do it." It's more like, "oh, someone's offended? Tough shit. So is mostly everybody else at some point or another."

Plus, satire can be hard for some to handle.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman No, i don't really take anything seriously :) +9Reply

A yes or no answer would suffice.

names avatar name Other +9Reply

I don't watch it or find it funny at all...

It's just gross to me.

I never watch it. My sister's friend once told me I reminded him of an episode because of 'ass burgers'.

@ItsATrap How so?

Nobody would suspect somebody of having Asperger's because they think everything is shitty. They would suspect him/her of having Asperger's because of difficulty with social situations.

@eldorito Nobody would suspect somebody of having Asperger's because they think everything is shitty. They would suspect...

So they showed having Asperger's as thinking things are shitty? I don't understand that at all

@ItsATrap So they showed having Asperger's as thinking things are shitty? I don't understand that at all

Yes. Stan saw everything as a pile of poo and Mr. Mackey came to the conclusion that Stan has Asperger's.

http://www.southparkstudios.com...08-ass-burgers

Here's the episode.

@eldorito Yes. Stan saw everything as a pile of poo and Mr. Mackey came to the conclusion that Stan has...

This was a funny episode and it didn't have anything to do with "Aspergers syndrome" other than to make fun of the name and make fun of the people that say inoculations cause autism. They used the Ass Burgers joke to poke fun at the fast food industry. The moral lesson was to "move on" and Stan figured it out, but his parent were too chicken to face a new world and dragged him back. I loved the reference to the absurdity of the Matrix story-line and the characterization of morning DJ banter as being banal.

@VicZinc This was a funny episode and it didn't have anything to do with "Aspergers syndrome" other than to make fun of the...

It really seemed to go all over the place. First, it was making fun of the people who think that vaccines cause autism. Next, it was making fun of the name. Then, it paid homage to The Matrix, along with making Stan drunk. Seemed like an episode that couldn't stay focused. If it had focused on the anti-vaxxer movement, then it would have been as funny as the Kanye West episode, but it barely touched on it.

@eldorito It really seemed to go all over the place. First, it was making fun of the people who think that vaccines cause...

Yes. Sometimes they try to cover to much ground. It still makes me laugh my "assburger" off. I am afraid that many viewers don't get the true message(s) or understand the political references, and they just laugh at the scatological humor.

@VicZinc Yes. Sometimes they try to cover to much ground. It still makes me laugh my "assburger" off. I am afraid that...

They mostly exhausted the scatological humor in the episode leading up to it (You're Getting Old).

nope not at all...to me at least

It often brings up a strong point. It uses offensive language, but most often it does so to make fun of those who use it. I think it's fairly tasteful. It's not just soliciting laughter from profanity.

@1914770

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satire

Of course, not everybody thinks satire is funny but there's a point to it. It's not just to be the most offensive show in the universe.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman No, i don't really take anything seriously :) 0Reply
@1914779

Both great books. If you haven't seen it, sometime when you are bored to death and have a good attention span, watch the Eric Idle's version of the Mikado. Many find it boring but I thought it was funny as hell - satire at it's best.

I don't find it funny, not do I watch it on a regular basis. However, it does not offend me.

BuddyCakess avatar BuddyCakes No, i don't really take anything seriously :) 0Reply

No, but not because I don't take it seriously.

I love South Park because, as many others have said before me, the writers are offensive sometimes to prove a point. And anyway, it's not like they only rip on one religious group or nationality or race or whatever. They poke fun at everything and everyone. I feel like South Park teaches one to laugh at oneself and find humor in negative aspects of society and life.

MusicianOfExtremess avatar MusicianOfExtremes No, i don't really take anything seriously :) 0Reply

South Park sucks