-37

People shouldn't test on animals for medicinal and scientific purposes because the animal usually ends up suffering and being abused, and humans are able to survive without that medical research, amirite?

Animals & Nature
0 6
The voters have decided that this post is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Both of the things you said are false. They don't USUALLY end up being abused, and a lot of people wouldn't be alive today if it weren't for the knowledge we've gained from animal testing. There should be stricter guidelines as to what is OK and what is not, but I am not opposed to it completely. If rats could experiment with our stem sells and grow a rat ear on a human back (something we actually did, but the opposite) to benefit their species with 0 to relatively little discomfort on our part they would.

@Frank_n_Furter Both of the things you said are false. They don't USUALLY end up being abused, and a lot of people wouldn't be...

I don't think it's fair of you to project your idea of what is acceptable on a hypothetical sentient superspecies of rat. If animals could offer consent to lab tests for products that could very well put their lives at risk, and they would be compensated for said cooperation, but humans are unable to communicate consent with animals subjected to lab testing.

@Shadi I don't think it's fair of you to project your idea of what is acceptable on a hypothetical sentient superspecies...

I'm not saying it's acceptable because hypothetically rats would test on animals too if they could, (at least I think that's what you said, if not correct me, I just now learned the word), that was just an added after thought meant to demonstrate that animals will look out for their own kind (slightly off topic, look at this shit! YouTube video thumbnail ) and that it's not evil. You're right, we can't get consent, and that sucks. But we can't test on humans for some of the things we test on animals because we don't breed fast enough, and if it's too dangerous people won't be willing/allowed to be test subjects. It sucks for the animals, and that's why I think there should be stricter guidelines for the treatment of animals, but I put solving the problems my species above the fact we can't ask animals for consent.

No, we're not. It's thanks to animals used for medicinal and scientific research that we've gotten to so many medical advancements today. Not enough humans would willingly sign up to be experimented on to be possibly killed.

It sucks that animals are being tested on for this stuff, but until we can supply ourselves with artificial life to do experiments on, we can't do anything about it. The continuation and bettering of the human race is important, and in order to get to that point of artificial life, we will have to spare a few others.

I wish I could agree, but it isn't possible yet. Sorry.