+37

You did not know that more people have committed suicide after listening to the song Gloomy Sunday (written in 1933 in Hungary) than any other song in history. The song has been covered by dozens of artists over the years and continues to be performed today because of its hauntingly beautiful melody. Amirite?

Szomorú vasárnap (Gloomy Sunday) - Miklós SebÅ‘Part 2 of my Gloomy Sunday series. Miklós SebÅ‘ with the Domina zenekar Orchestra performing a fine version of Gloomy Sunday. Recorded roughly 1935/1936. If y...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97Qmbce-WJ4
VicZincs avatar Music
4 18
The voters have decided that VicZinc is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1910632

I feel good that you know that. Great minds and all that.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +4Reply

what makes you think i would want to listen to a song with a caption like that?

You can't believe how creeped out I got. I started it and was thinking about the post and the suicides associated with this song, then my dog started barking, and I started thinking about how this song somehow made a killer appear on the porch...No worries, she was only barking at a dog smile smilie

BlindMists avatar BlindMist Yeah You Are +1Reply

I actually did because of a show on the science channel called Dark Matters: Twisted but True but I'm commenting instead of no waying cuz I don't wanna ruin your score over this cool bit of trivia.

http://ctrlv.in/172512
Sometimes I'm just confused.

The song's notoriety contributed towards many other notable artists later recording the song, including:
1941 – Billie Holiday
1958 – Mel Tormé
1959 – Eila Pellinen (in Finnish as "Surullinen sunnuntai")
1961 – Sarah Vaughan
1961 – Lorez Alexandria
1962 – Ketty Lester
1962 – Lou Rawls
1967 – Carmen McRae
1968 – Genesis (the Los Angeles psychedelic rock band, not the UK progressive rock band)
1969 – Ray Charles
1969 – Big Maybelle (on Saga of the Good Life & Hard Times)
1972 – Viktor Klimenko (in Russian as "Ona pred ikonoi")
1975 – Jimmy Witherspoon (on Spoonful)
1977 – Etta Jones (on My Mother's Eyes)
1980 – Lydia Lunch (on Queen of Siam album)
1981 – Elvis Costello (Trust) (Sam M. Lewis, Rezső Seress)
1982 – Associates (Sulk) (Sam M. Lewis, Rezső Seress)
1983 – Marc Almond (Torment and Toreros) (Sam M. Lewis, Rezső Seress)
1984 – Peter Wolf (Lights Out) (Sam M. Lewis, Rezső Seress)
1986 – Christian Death (Atrocities) (Sam M. Lewis, Rezső Seress)
1987 – Dead Milkmen (as a bridge in their song "Blood Orgy of the Atomic Fern")
1987 – Serge Gainsbourg (French version)
1987 – Abbey Lincoln
1987 – Marianne Faithfull
1991 – Vlad...

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are 0Reply
@VicZinc The song's notoriety contributed towards many other notable artists later recording the song, including: 1941 –...

1992 – Diamanda Galás (The Singer) (Desmond Carter lyrics)
1992 – Sinéad O'Connor
1994 – Anton LaVey (Released it in his 10" "Strange Music")
1996 – Sarah McLachlan (using Sam M. Lewis lyrics; from the Rarities, B-Sides, and Other Stuff album)
1998 – Danny Michel (from the "Clear" album)
1999 – The Smithereens (on God Save The Smithereens album)
2000 – Kronos Quartet (instrumental for string quartet)
2000 – Sarah Brightman (using Sam M. Lewis lyrics; on La Luna)
2001 – Heather Nova (on the South album)
2005 – Venetian Snares (under Hungarian title "Öngyilkos vasárnap", literally meaning "Suicidal Sunday", incorporating a sample of Billie Holiday's 1941 rendition)
2009 – Emilie Autumn (Billie Holiday lyrics - first 2 verses only)
2010 – Pallbearer (demo)
2011 – Marissa Nadler and Ryan Lee Crosby
2012 – Sarasvatī (on Mirror album)
2012 – Uzala (on Uzala album)
2013 – Dax Riggs (live performances[23])

The music sounds sounds familiar and reminds me of something but I can't tell what. I really like the song though, it made me feel oddly peaceful, or calm or something of that sort.

ItsATraps avatar ItsATrap Yeah You Are 0Reply

doesn't it mean that you should disagree with post since you did know?

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are 0Reply

Gloomy Sunday suicides were an urban legend. Nobody found correlations between the suicides and the song. Remember that this was a time where famine and poverty were rising in Hungary, which is where the suicides took place. Those probably had a better factor on that than "The song made me really sad so I killed myself." That's not how music works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gl...#Urban_legends

@VicZinc Yes. I saw that, but the legend makes a better post.

Well, if you want to go ahead spreading lies and corrupting information...

@jraaey I bet you're the life of the party. ... If it was at a graveyard

Oh, I'm sorry that I want to keep the public properly informed and know the truth of matters. Christ, people will literally take ignorance at face value if it means they can get their high. Fucking ridiculous.

This is what's devolving society.

The author of the post could've at least said that it was a legend. Deceiving people for the sake of "Well it'd be fun if it was true" is disgusting. It's one thing if you're making up a story. It's another if you're covering up the truth.

PS, nice ad hominem attack. Fallacies, pfsh.

@AdonisBatheus Oh, I'm sorry that I want to keep the public properly informed and know the truth of matters. Christ, people will...

Anyway, you did it for me, I thanked you and loved your comment. People should know that there is no "proof" that the suicide legend is true.

That said. I like your art on Deviantart.com, it is very cool.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +2Reply
@VicZinc Anyway, you did it for me, I thanked you and loved your comment. People should know that there is no "proof" that...

Thanks for being mature about this then. Rare on this site (even from me).
And thanks for the compliment, haha.

Trivia isn't fun.