fuzalas avatar Life
1 38
@1910789

spanking comes in varying degrees
on one end
there's the tap

on the other end
there's the smack that leaves a bruised bottom

and then all the others in between

fuzalas avatar fuzala there are much better ways of discipline 0Reply

It depends on how and when it's resorted to. I think it should be attempted only after other methods have been tried. If they don't work, then I believe spanking is acceptable.

I think that it's necessary and I've also been spanked and turned out fine (so far). Our grandparents were much stricter than our parents, and some of our parents got beaten with pipes and extension cords, and they all turned out fine. I'm not saying that's what everyone should do, but hardly anyone is disciplining anymore, and so more people are growing up thinking they can do anything they want, like lie, steal, and kill. So, yeah, I think we all need a good spanking when we do something truly bad. With a belt though, not with extension cords and pipes hehe smilie When I think about it,I've only gotten one whoopin (that I don't remember) but a lot of pops on the arm. None of us get whoopin's anymore, except probably my youngest brother.

I'm not sure if that's what you meant by spanking...a butt whoopin

BlindMists avatar BlindMist happened to me, and I turned out fine +4Reply
@BlindMist I think that it's necessary and I've also been spanked and turned out fine (so far). Our grandparents were much...

yeah
by spanking
I meant butt whoopin'

I think that spanking can only do so much
the child may just be scared of getting spanked
will continue that action
and just make sure not to get caught

fuzalas avatar fuzala there are much better ways of discipline +2Reply
Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore happened to me, and I turned out fine +3Reply
@Wunderscore That could be true with any disciplinary action though.

true hmm smilie

but it's been said that spanking, many times, makes the child more rebellious

http://www.parents.com/toddlers...ipline-debate/

I realize that some of these options are repetitive wary smilie

Children can be challenging to reason with, but if you are capable of taking the responsibility to have children in the first place, you can take the responsibility to raise them without resorting to physical violence. It not only misses opportunities for "teaching moments", but uses those opportunities to teach violence and disrespect. While I was being brought up by my own parents, my mother would spank me when I got into trouble. Because of this, my mother and I have never been too close. I grew up with a great disrespect for her and her methods for discipline. I understand she was doing what she thought was the best way to raise me, but that doesn't change anything. My father never once spanked me, but just talked to me with reason. I'm not saying physical discipline is the direct cause of this, but me and my dad have always had a great relationship. Even as a child I knew it was wrong. Yes this may not be the case for every child, but it is still morally wrong. Spanking is for the lazy/lousy parents who don't know how to discipline their child in a suitable manner. You should just talk with your child as an equal and help them to understand what the problem is.

Tribunes avatar Tribune It's disgusting +2Reply
@Tribune Children can be challenging to reason with, but if you are capable of taking the responsibility to have children in...

I don't think it is fair at all to call parents who use spanking lazy/lousy. I think my mother was/is great parent,the extreme opposite of a lazy parent, and I am so thankful for the way she raised me and for how I turned out. I was rarely spanked because I was pretty well-behaved, and I didn't stop doing things because I was afraid. I stopped because I was only spanked for doing really bad things, and my mother explained things to me as well. I am not violent, and my relationship with my mother is fine, ans there is no lingering resentment from being spanked. It depends on the kid and parent, so I don't think such generalizations can be made.I'm sure there are rotten kids out there who have never been spanked and hate their parents/are violent.

_Jojo_s avatar _Jojo_ happened to me, and I turned out fine +1Reply
@_Jojo_ I don't think it is fair at all to call parents who use spanking lazy/lousy. I think my mother was/is great...

yeah
it's gonna vary from kid to kid
also, some kids behave more than others
so less of any kind of discipline necessary

and with the parents
it's gonna depend on how they spank
if it's a first or last resort
are they nurturing?
do they talk to the kid?

me and my brother got hit
we both turned out fine

my youngest brother doesn't get hit
he also turned out fine

my parents are the opposite of lazy/lousy
they've worked really hard in raising us

yeah!

I think it takes patience not to spank
I don't think all spankers are lazy parents
but I do think that there are much more effective ways of discipline

kids can understand a lot more than many give them credit for

it's been said that spanking makes children more rebellious overall
striking children can lead to them being aggressive

and when one strikes their child
it's kinda confusing to tell them not to strike others
kids wanna emulate their parents

I think that spanking is no way necessary
especially since there are tried and true methods that are more effective

fuzalas avatar fuzala there are much better ways of discipline -1Reply

I think that it depends on how bad it is. For me, getting spanked by my mother's hand never actually hurt that much. It was more that she only ever spanked me if I was an awful child and she just didn't know what else to do with me, so it made me feel guilty to see her do something that she didn't want to do. Also, she explained to me before and after what I had done wrong and why I needed to be punished. It was pretty effective with me, and I turned out fine, no violent tendencies or anything

@ballet_apocalypse I think that it depends on how bad it is. For me, getting spanked by my mother's hand never actually hurt that...

I think it worked well for you because
1) it didn't hurt that much
2) because she explained to you before and after

she talked to you to make you understand
that's an important part

some just expect the spanking to do all the work

my little cousin gets hit all the time
"told you a million times not to do that"

five minutes later
he's up to no good again hehe smilie
and he also has a high tolderance for pain
if he accidentally hits his head
he'll rub it and start giggling
it takes him a lot to cry
he's about five

fuzalas avatar fuzala there are much better ways of discipline +1Reply
@fuzala I think it worked well for you because 1) it didn't hurt that much 2) because she explained to you before and...

yeah, I think that if you do it right, spanking can be as effective as any other form of discipline. However, every child is different and most of the time when kids act out like your cousin does, it's a cry for attention. Is your aunt a nurturing person?

@fuzala yeah she's loving and all that jazz and my cousin he's loving too just very "active" check this...

I just asked my mom about it, and she said that I got spanked maybe five times through my life. She also said that one of her rules was that if I was going to do something that was causing anyone more pain than a spanking would, that would be my punishment. Say I kept almost burning myself on the hot stove, and the only reason I didn't was because she noticed I was in the kitchen alone while food was cooking just in time, that would be a prime example. Once, I punched a girl when I was five and gave her a black eye because she was sitting too close to me and wouldn't back off, I got spanked for that too.

My mom said that a main difference that she's noticed is that if a parent spanks their child as their first resort, or to cause them pain, it generally won't be effective or healthy. So, I think that she mainly agrees with that part of the article that says it can be effective if gentle and not the only form of punishment

@ballet_apocalypse I just asked my mom about it, and she said that I got spanked maybe five times through my life. She also said that...

oh yeah
using it as a first resort and last resort can make a big difference

also, the way someone is spanked is important too
and whether or not there's an explanation involved

and like you said
whether or not the parents are nurturing

the thing is that me and my brother got hit and we turned out fine

my youngest brother doesn't get hit
and he also turned out fine

it's just something that's gonna vary

It's a good form of foreplay

I voted disgusting, and here's why.
Your parents are the ones who brought you to life and raised you. For a figure you look up to so much to strike you in any way makes me feel sick. The parents should make a child feel safe, and to cause them to fear physical pain from you seems messed up to me.
I used to get spanked but when I was maybe 11, I turned around and slapped her as hard as I could across the face.

It happened to me and I was okay, but it was always a last resort and never often. It was only with a hand though, never a paddle. I don't even remember it.

cookiedoughs avatar cookiedough happened to me, and I turned out fine 0Reply

In the real world, an adult does something wrong like stealing or hitting another person they don't get put in time out or grounded. They go to jail where they get a butt whooping. Same principles just not so extreme.

@In the real world, an adult does something wrong like stealing or hitting another person they don't get put in time...

thing is that a butt whooping in prison is not a guarantee
the consequence is being locked up

I never did got spanked. I got slapped in the motherfucking face. Haha

bbhatti12s avatar bbhatti12 happened to me, and I turned out fine 0Reply
@bbhatti12 I never did got spanked. I got slapped in the motherfucking face. Haha

Yeah, I did like twice in my entire life, and I totally provoked them. I think it's more meaningful that way, because you already know what you did wrong, and it's more of a real world consequence of being a dumbass than a parenting technique.

Spanking just sounds...I don't know, to go out of your way to hit a child like that, after the initial anger at what they did has already died down and then it's just like "oh well, I guess I've gotta spank them now," it just seems kind of abusive. I don't know. Whenever this topic comes up I see everyone defending it and I guess it's one of those things that's a different experience for each person.

This is basically my comment for the post, but it was spurred by your face slapping comment, so it's a reply sorry. :s

should be a yes or no question, by splitting it into so many parts, you kind of made it seem like more people support spanking (were spanked) than might actually

falconsoldiers avatar falconsoldier happened to me, and I turned out fine 0Reply
@falconsoldier should be a yes or no question, by splitting it into so many parts, you kind of made it seem like more people...

I kinda also wanted to know many people on here got spanked
so I got two in one kinda deal

@fuzala I kinda also wanted to know many people on here got spanked so I got two in one kinda deal

yes, but people who don't like spanking got like ten options, which split them up, if you had less options, it would show more easily who thinks spanking is a good idea and who doesn't, you could have yes and was spanked, no and was, yes and wasn't, no and wasn't, and that would accomplish your goal without splitting those who think it causes problems, and those who got problems from it.

@fuzala http://amirite.com/758506-what-...ildren/1910780 if you look at that comment you'll...

true, my bad for not reading the comments, something to keep in mind though I guess

@falconsoldier true, my bad for not reading the comments, something to keep in mind though I guess

yes
I thought the 4 options you gave were much better

I definitely did not think of it like that

Eh, everybody's different. Some children never got spanked and they turned out fine, others did get spanked and they turned out fine. I was in the latter group because I was extremely hard to handle. My parents did explain to me right and wrong, of course, it wasn't just random smacking, but it helped me actually follow the message instead of going "Whatever I don't care if screaming in a mall is bad." Some kids don't need it, others do.

Sarcasm_on_ices avatar Sarcasm_on_ice happened to me, and I turned out fine 0Reply

My parents always punished me, never hit me

hootowls avatar hootowl It's disgusting 0Reply

It all depends on the child. I remember getting spanked once or twice when I was a child and I knew never to do what I did to deserve it again, because it took a lot for my parents to actually spank me. If parent's spank their kids for everything though, I think the kids will just grow up resenting their parents. You have to have the right intentions in mind when spanking or disciplining a child at all. You should be doing it because you love them and want them to grow up knowing right from wrong, not because their "bad kids" and you're mad at them. Discipline is definitely necessary though.

Fanatics avatar Fanatic happened to me, and I turned out fine -1Reply

There really is no other way to disipline them.
Spanking them with a paddle or an object is disgusting but if it's with your bare hand then it's fine.

xxdetroitxxs avatar xxdetroitxx you gotta do what you gotta you -2Reply
@xxdetroitxx There really is no other way to disipline them. Spanking them with a paddle or an object is disgusting but if it's...

I fall under there are better ways of discipline

and I disagree that there is no other way to discipline them

I also think that many underestimate the cognitive ability of little children

and it can breed more violence
if the caregiver spanks them
the child might feel "monkey see, monkey do"

fuzalas avatar fuzala there are much better ways of discipline +5Reply
@fuzala I fall under there are better ways of discipline and I disagree that there is no other way to discipline them I...

if one strikes their child
and also tells them not to strike other children
it'll probably confuse the kid

Anonymous