-16

If you are claiming to be an atheist, you are therefore claiming there is no right and wrong. Once you understand the moral implications this ensues, it's actually quite scary to think about.

0 19

Not really.
I'm an atheist and I actually believe, or "claim" if you prefer, that there are rights and wrongs. They're just not given to us by some divine being. They're created by us.
Let me guess, that irks you?

Lens avatar Len Disagree +8Reply
@So you believe humans came up with moral laws on their own?

Moral "laws", no. That makes it sound like they're inherent and that's certainly not the case.

I think humans (after insert certain amount of brain development, that I should know but don't due to my amazing level of ignorance, here) have the capacity to judge right from wrong on their own terms.

Lens avatar Len Disagree +2Reply
@Then what is "right" and what is "wrong"?

To me I presume you mean?
Right and wrong make up a spectrum in my mind. Furthest to the "right" side (although ironically in this imaginary spectrum it's on the left) is the action that does the least harm.

Furthest to the "wrong" side is the action that does the most harm.

If you mean what is "right" and what is "wrong" in a more objective sense, they're imaginary things that we came up with. They're concepts. There's not some inherent "morality" to the universe. Morals are gravity.
At least, that's what I think.

Lens avatar Len Disagree +2Reply
@Len To me I presume you mean? Right and wrong make up a spectrum in my mind. Furthest to the "right" side (although...

If they're imaginary concepts in an objective sense, that's when it becomes a little weird to think about, isn't it? Because there is no objective moral law. Therefore moral laws become subjective and change with every individual.

Right and wrong are human constructs and require no high power.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Disagree +5Reply
@1912535

This isn't bashing. It's criticizing. OP is trying to make a point. Although it's an ignorant and terribly thought out point, I encourage him to try. Sharing thoughts is how we learn.

Discords avatar Discord Disagree 0Reply
@Discord This isn't bashing. It's criticizing. OP is trying to make a point. Although it's an ignorant and terribly thought...

If you've really thought it out completely, would you mind letting me know what you think?

@If you've really thought it out completely, would you mind letting me know what you think?

I'm an atheist. There is right and wrong. What's the problem there?

Discords avatar Discord Disagree 0Reply
@Discord I'm an atheist. There is right and wrong. What's the problem there?

As I mentioned before, there can be no objective moral law. Where would it come from?

@Discord It doesn't have to be objective.

But then you couldn't assert, then, that there is right and wrong. Because right and wrong then become subjective.

@Discord I don't see the problem with it becoming subjective.

Well, I think the problem is that anyone can define what they want right and wrong to mean. Maybe they think that killing someone with a disability is right. They could have really good points and argue till they're blue in the face. Some people could even start agreeing with them. However, someone who knows murder is wrong, no matter who or no matter what, will never agree that it is right to kill.

@Well, I think the problem is that anyone can define what they want right and wrong to mean. Maybe they think that...

So, if there is no god, people will have subjective opinions on morals.

If there is a god, people will have subjective opinions on what the objective truth on morals is.

Is there really a difference?

Discords avatar Discord Disagree 0Reply