+221

Why do some people think it's offensive to call an African American a black person. I'm white and I'm fine being called white, I don't demand to be called Caucasian. You are what are, there's no helping that.

DevonHollanders avatar
2 31

People who have a problem identifying race are ignorant. To say that "you don't see race" and "everyone is the same" is just fighting ignorance with more ignorance and is more prejudicial than acknowledging someone's ethnicity. We need to acknowledge diversity and accept that there is more than one type of human on the Earth. It's a huge problem and kind of scary that people still have trouble simply being real instead of beating around the bush. Yes they are black, yes they are white, yes they are asian etc. If you can't say that than you're implying that you associate minority with inferiority and shame, which is dead wrong. Get over it people.

I'm the opposite. I like the term black and don't like the term, "African-American."

@ellephaba101 Isn't that what the post says?

She was probably replying to the part about some people finding it offensive rather than the OP's take on it. Or she could have just read it wrong.

@Statefarm She was probably replying to the part about some people finding it offensive rather than the OP's take on it. Or...

Yeah, I was replying to the part that says some people think it's offensive to be called black.

I agree with your point but not your logic, OP. Just because you don't mind something, it doesn't mean other people don't mind it. And it's not just "you are what you are." I could call you an offensive name but you wouldn't identify with that, would you?

Referring to someone as black is more politically correct than referring to them as African American because not all black people come from or have descendants from Africa and not all people from Africa are black.

@1913611

I probably would. If you really wanted to be technical about it, most black people are actually more of a dark brown and white people are more of a peach color.

I read an article for my Sociology class about black latinos who would sometimes feel offended when people would refer to them as African American. So really, calling people African American isn't even politically correct unless you know for sure that the person really is of African descent, and not a black person of an alternate nationality.

Taxonomy is a whimsical, ever changing attempt by humans to categorize and organize complex genealogies. The labels are ever changing because the living beings defy standardization.

Caucasian didn't even originally mean "a white person". I don't know why we call white people Caucasian, especially since the term originated from people with a specific cranium shape (which then changed into specifying people from regions such as Asia Minor, Europe, North Africa, etc.).

I've never heard of a black person be called anything else besides African American.

@DevonHollander I've never heard of a black person be called anything else besides African American.

Are you crazy? If there is an African who has never left africa, they're black, but in no way African-American. Same with those who live in the Caribbean. I'm sure most black people are not African-American.

In addition to what Scr3wball said, black people in the UK or France or in Brazil are in no way 'African American.'
(Unless they were born in America or something.)

@ThisBlackChick In addition to what Scr3wball said, black people in the UK or France or in Brazil are in no way 'African...

I have never been outside of America so I have never run across a black person called an African Brazilian

@DevonHollander I have never been outside of America so I have never run across a black person called an African Brazilian

I've never left the US either. It's common knowledge that black people exist outside of North America and Africa.

And as a "white" person you have not been discriminated against because of the colour of your skin and historically have not been oppressed because of your origins.
So while you personally might not be offended by the term white does not mean those who are coloured think that it is acceptable for you to call them what ever you want.
Personally I just call people by their names..

@Naggs And as a "white" person you have not been discriminated against because of the colour of your skin and historically...

I don't know what world you live in, but white people are discriminated against too. Do you honestly think that only "black" or "coloured" people have been looked down upon or treated differently because of their skin colour? When I was in elementary school I was picked on because I was white.

@I don't know what world you live in, but white people are discriminated against too. Do you honestly think that...

The amount that a white person is discriminated can not even begin to compare with the historical oppression that People of colour have dealt with.
Now I want to let you know what happened to you as a person is unfortunate.
However, white people historically have never been enslaved, legally discriminated against, been subject to apartheid, ethnic cleansing, and genocide.

@Naggs The amount that a white person is discriminated can not even begin to compare with the historical oppression that...

Let's see, non-English European people in Canada a few centuries ago such as the French.

Were they legally discriminated? Yes.
Did they have less power than other people politically? Yes.
Were they subject to apartheid? TOTALLY! The great deportation of the Acadians.
Even if they didn't have to go through genocide, I'm pretty sure that proves that statement at least a tiny bit wrong.

That's pretty ignorant. You are right, you're white. But all white people are white, and white means white. On the other hand, African-American means Americans who are native or have relatives native to Africa. Not all blacks are African.

@Mike_Hawk That's pretty ignorant. You are right, you're white. But all white people are white, and white means white. On the...

Well, he said it's people think it's rude to call an African-American black, not the other way around. I'm pretty sure almost every African-American is black. I know I am.

@Skr3wBall Well, he said it's people think it's rude to call an African-American black, not the other way around. I'm pretty...

Damn, I read the post backwards. I thought it was blacks being offended by being called African American, not the other way around.