fuzalas avatar Life
1 22

The first time I heard this
I thought people were saying "Youth in Asia"

safe to say that
I was very confused

"Why in the world would they want to target/kill the youth in Asia?"

I'm not the only one who thought this
there's a post about it and 19 people agreed

fuzalas avatar fuzala Depends +14Reply

If I'm stuck in a coma for more than 4 weeks, pull the plug. Even if I do snap out of it like 6 months later, life will never be the same.

@StickCaveman If I'm stuck in a coma for more than 4 weeks, pull the plug. Even if I do snap out of it like 6 months later, life...

I'd stay for 24 hours. The way I see it, if I'm self aware, then it's like paralysis and I don't want to experience that. If I'm not self aware, then I won't feel it.

@1912980

I put depends because I think treatment can be stopped or someone can be taken off of life support when there's no hope for recovery

fuzalas avatar fuzala Depends 0Reply

This topic can also go into the territory of pulling the plug. I think that pulling the plug, after consideration, is okay because they were only living with the help of a machine. But euthanasia, that is killing when the body could still live. There are always circumstances, but that is my general stance.

My view on this is the same as my view on abortion: pro choice. I'm not a lover of euthanasia, and I'm not a lover of abortion. I want people to have a choice about what happens to them. If I'm old or suffering, I'd like to make the decision to go peacefully. And I think I'd like my family to stop suffering if I were unconscious for a long time.

I don't think doctors should partake or assist in it. If somebody is truly suffering due to an incurable illness, let them do it themselves. It's a personal feeling, and should therefore be a personal (private) choice.

I also believe there's a difference between refusing medical care and actively killing yourself. While I don't support suicide in any case (but can still understand the feelings involved), I can strongly support peoples' right to let death take them naturally and not fight it

@Watchful_questioneer Do you mean completely on their own, or at least given the tools to do it painlessly?

I don't think it should involve anybody else (or at least to their living knowledge). Why should you involve anybody and their conscience in something like that? If you want to kill yourself, gas yourself out in your garage, hang yourself with a necktie, shoot yourself, etc. You don't need ask for help and (aside from my opinion that suicide is selfish anyway) selfishly ask somebody else to jeopardize their own well-being to do it.

Some people think that suicide doesn't affect anyone but themselves, but they're wrong. So I think the less people that it affects, the better

@WinniethePooh I don't think it should involve anybody else (or at least to their living knowledge). Why should you involve...

I agree that people shouldn't be involved when their conscience can be affected, but the methods you mentioned would involve a lot of suffering. I think it would be best to give doctors the choice of also being able to be perscribers of lethal medication when a patient truly wants to end their life. I think suicide is, in some cases, far less selfish then another's desire to keep them alive if life is miserable for them. There are instances of terminal disease, incurable agony, and possibly endless pain (or long lasting) that a person may not recover from or be able to tolerate. In such instances, I do not find it selfish to want death because those around you should understand that it's selfish of them to want to keep you alive. But I agree that relatives, especially those who may oppose it, or doctors whose morals it may contradict, should not have to assist suicide. However, doctors whose morals it does not contradict, in my opinion, should assist it to reduce or eliminate the suffering caused by it.

@Watchful_questioneer I agree that people shouldn't be involved when their conscience can be affected, but the methods you mentioned...

I realize that there's lots of feelings that go into making a decision such as suicide. And I've said to people that the only instance when I can see suicide being an understandable choice is in a case of terminal illness, especially one involving lots of pain. But I still stand that such a choice should involve as few people as possible. For example, I've always said that if I had to do that, I would run a hose from my car exhaust into the window in a closed garage. Completely painless way to go that involves no other human being.

If you really think you need meds in order to get the job done, you should go out and score, then OD. It's a much less slippery slope than allowing people to simply kill others because they're headed that way anyway

@WinniethePooh I realize that there's lots of feelings that go into making a decision such as suicide. And I've said to people...

I think we can agree that one should take the painless option that involves the least amount of people.

My girlfriend's Chinese, I have no problem with them

@SemiColin My girlfriend's Chinese, I have no problem with them

how open-minded of you to not have a problem with them
very refreshing

fuzalas avatar fuzala Depends 0Reply

I thought I commented on this before. Oh well.

People should be able to die if they want. We can try to persuade them not to, and we should the programs make a person go through a few sessions with a psychologist. We should not deny them if it's what they really want.

@Mike_Hawk I thought I commented on this before. Oh well. People should be able to die if they want. We can try to persuade...

I made this post
and Kumquat made another one about something more specific with euthanasia

you commented on his one

fuzalas avatar fuzala Depends 0Reply

It shouldn't be a thing made available in over-the-counter prescriptions, but it shouldn't be completely restricted. If someone wants to die, let them. We're overpopulated anyways. If someone's absolutely miserable, they should not be forced to endure a painful life.

On a personal level, I have been suicidal, and still am. I have gone to therapy, and I have been talked to by family about how they'd feel if I went through with it. I still feel like if someone gave me a loaded gun, I would shoot myself with absolutely no hesitation. Sometimes things don't help, and sometimes people like me just want to go peacefully, with as little blood as possible.