-6

Everyone arguing about gay rights and same sex marriage while North Korea is aiming it's missiles at us, is sort of nonsensical, amirite?

B3CKVHs avatar News & Current Events
0 32
The voters have decided that B3CKVH is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Since when is fighting for basic human rights cosidered nonesensical?
I agree that it's less important than the North Korea missile situation, but it's not nonensical.

@xxdetroitxx Since when is fighting for basic human rights cosidered nonesensical? I agree that it's less important than the...

Since when is a non-existent right basic? No one is TAKING AWAY GAY EQUALITY. It never existed.

I DID NOT SAY defending non-existent rights is nonsensical- people arguing over who can marry who when there are things like missiles being aimed at us, going on. So- yes, you ARE twisting my words by alledging that I meant otherwise.

B3CKVHs avatar B3CKVH Yeah You Are -2Reply
@B3CKVH Since when is a non-existent right basic? No one is TAKING AWAY GAY EQUALITY. It never existed. I DID NOT SAY...

You replied to the wrong comment ma'am.
But anyway, I was just stating how I interpreted what you were trying to say in your post y smilie
You may think I'm twisting your words around, but I'm not.

Being able to marry someone is a right, fyi.
And we're fighting for gay equality because it hasn't existed.

@xxdetroitxx You replied to the wrong comment ma'am. But anyway, I was just stating how I interpreted what you were trying to...

I know this. Progress has been made over the years. Even laws that forbid sodomy are overlooked. Gay marriage doesn't = equality. It may give GLBT the right to have a government recognized union that hopefully receives the same tax benefits. True equality is allowing ANY joint household, be it hetero, homo, polygamist, or the Gokden Girls, that are struggling in these same hard times, to enjoy the same benefits as everyone else. For example: to single moms sharing a house, should have EQUAL rights as far as taxes, mortgage, property, insurance, legal, etc. So when same sex marriage is approved, are you going to help us fight for OUR equal treatment? (Rhetorical). My point is, that by our government recognizing Same Sex marriages, EQUALITY will still not be achieved. We should have the right to stay UNMARRIED, and receive the same treatment and benefits like everyone else.

B3CKVHs avatar B3CKVH Yeah You Are 0Reply
@B3CKVH I know this. Progress has been made over the years. Even laws that forbid sodomy are overlooked. Gay marriage...

I agree.
But allowing gays to marry is a step in the right direction and who knows maybe it'll lead to true equality for everyone and whatnot.

@xxdetroitxx I agree. But allowing gays to marry is a step in the right direction and who knows maybe it'll lead to true...

Do respective churches each still retain the right to marry whom they choose? Or are they going to wind up being accused of discrimination?

I say, give everyone EQUAL rights to live, believe, practice, as they will while ALL PEOPLE enjoy the same benefits, and the government steps out of marriage all together. Do away with the marriage certificate as a government application-( Let people receive the certificate from their own marriage officials), and replace it with a joint income household tax, property, and asset form.

@xxdetroitxx I agree.

And I- am a work in progress when it comes to clear WRITTEN communication skills. Had you HEARD my post, rather than read it, there would most likely have been no misnomer, and perhaps, even a chuckle.

Go Wolverines.

@B3CKVH And I- am a work in progress when it comes to clear WRITTEN communication skills. Had you HEARD my post, rather...

It's understandable.
Typing can be confusing sometimes
And did you say "Go Wolverines" cuz my username is xxdetroitxx which refers to detroit michigan and michigan is the wolverine state?
Or am I just over-analyzing this? o.e

Being able to Mary someone IS a right already. Being able to marry whomever you choose regardless of their genetic or mutated sex, is NOT. Not yet. (UDHR: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/...f_Human_Rights)

@xxdetroitxx There's no point in marrying someone that you don't want to marry.

Lots of people do it all the time: (marry someone they don't want to. it has happened for thousands of years for many different reasons: to get away from a bad situation, citizenship, title, inheritance, religious or cultural reasons, arranged marriages for political/financial gain, "for the kids", money, to create treaties or build alliances, a sizable dowry. The origin of marriage is biblical- the evolution of marriage/weddings is political/material. People don't go register for a marriage license because they are in love- they do it because they HAVE to, and the end result: a bunch of divorces and messed up kids/family pets. And you can't tell me that the "U-haul, lesbians," aren't going to send divorce rates through the roof (I kid-I kid, but seriously, the truth is funny).

@xxdetroitxx I don't know what you meant by "U-haul, lesbians" Explain?

Seriously? that's a pretty standard joke around here. A U-haul lesbian: The kind that get really intimate, really quick, move in before the third date and never really leave, until it goes bad, and then they are couch surfing with a buddy until their on to the next "love of their life".

Considering circumstance, it is. It's like demanding the I ice cream cone your mom promised you while she is trying to rush your brother to the emergency room.

It was not the fight for the "right" that is nonsensical- it's that no one is talking about the newest missile crisis, but everyone is dividing themselves instead, over something non life threatening. Meanwhile, Government wants to limit our rights of self defense while foreign countries have become hostile toward our mainland.

Don't twist my words, please.

B3CKVHs avatar B3CKVH Yeah You Are -1Reply
@B3CKVH Considering circumstance, it is. It's like demanding the I ice cream cone your mom promised you while she is trying...

Was that supposed to be a reply to my comment? o.e
I'm pretty sure there's people talking about the missile crisis, so saying no one is talking about it is untrue.

Also, I did not twist your words. y smilie

@xxdetroitxx Was that supposed to be a reply to my comment? o.e I'm pretty sure there's people talking about the missile crisis...

Wow. You're loose interpretation of what the original post meant, is wrong. You can't take interpretative liberties like that and be an absolute literalist at the same time. I mean you can, but it doesn't make you seem very wise.

@B3CKVH Wow. You're loose interpretation of what the original post meant, is wrong. You can't take interpretative liberties...

"wow. You're loose interpretation" didn't make any sense.
I did not twist your words. You said that focusing on gay rights was nonsensical, so I said just because it's less important than the missile situation doesn't mean it's nonsensical.

First, no one is trying to limit your right to self defense. All those gun laws that were up for vote? They didn't pass. Even if they did pass, you could still defend yourself (though I don't think an assault weapon would be much help against a nuclear bomb).

Second, it was determined months ago that same sex marriage would be argued now. It's not like it came up out of nowhere.

Third, average citizens can discuss the missile crisis all they want, but they don't get a say in how we protect ourselves in that situation so no one is talking about it. The missile crisis is bad: no one is going to argue about that. In this situation, we, as run of the mill citizens, need to trust the men and women in charge of our defense to do whatever they can. There is nothing a petty discussion between non-military personal can do to help.

@B3CKVH I get what you are saying. I am saying, fight congress- not EACHOTHER.

We're not just fighting each other anymore. Or didn't you hear about the Supreme Court taking on Prop 8 and DOMA? That's not Congress, but things are getting done. We can't really fight congress about North Korea.

@pikabeau We're not just fighting each other anymore. Or didn't you hear about the Supreme Court taking on Prop 8 and DOMA?...

Fight congress for sake of equality, and set aside differences to stand united as a country for the sake of National defense, and hope like HECK they aren't going to shoot that mainland missile from off coast, or have developed advanced sub missiles. DEMAND to know the inland target- even if Defense wants to underestimate our enemies, we have the right to be prepared.

I am just surprised more people aren't discussing it. I'm not trying to stop the progress of equality, just trying to promote awareness.

@B3CKVH I am just surprised more people aren't discussing it. I'm not trying to stop the progress of equality, just trying...

We're all aware of what's going on. We just know we can't make a difference in military issues. Social issues are different.

@pikabeau We're all aware of what's going on. We just know we can't make a difference in military issues. Social issues are...

Don't speak for everyone- MANY people are NOT aware. Had I not first been told by text, then accidentally overheard the news, even I would be unaware, which is why I felt the need to post about OTHER current events, involving our national security, are being overlooked or brushed aside because of an argument over social issues that has ALREADY been made, and for now- is ALSO out of your hands. So why remain divided on the issue- why not set aside differences of race, religion, sexual preferences, economics etc- so that we aren't distracted by our differences if the enemy attacks.

Interesting, that News Sources reveal 2/3 of the targets by name, (Hawaii and Guam) but won't disclose who the mainland target is- People have a RIGHT to know if they are in the line of fire, even if there is nothing they can do to prevent it, there is plenty that can do to prepare, physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually. This isn't the first time our government has ignored a direct warning, and kept important facts from THE PEOPLE, and there IS something we can do that, because instead of things like DOMA going against us, we have the constitution backing us.

@B3CKVH Don't speak for everyone- MANY people are NOT aware. Had I not first been told by text, then accidentally overheard...

You know what? I didn't know about the North Korea thing until I found out about it too. Funny how that works.
If you tell the masses the plan of attack then the nation will erupt in total chaos. There is nothing we can do to prepare for a nuclear attack. Sometimes not telling us something is for our own good. We're not entitled to know anything. We're allowed to raise our voices when we feel like we should be let in on something, but the government doesn't owe us information.

@pikabeau You know what? I didn't know about the North Korea thing until I found out about it too. Funny how that works. If...

Last I checked, This is a government by the people, for the people, and there is a free imformation act- And I may not be able to prepare physically,(ie evacuate, or prepare my home for possible flooding, make sure I tell everyone I love them and I am by my son's side, even if he is at his dad's house..just in case- so, as a person living in a state that has a coastal border, If a bomb is headed my way, I deserve and have the right to know. The people in Pearl Harbor had the right to know before Japan started dropping bombs too. And I don't need a third party deciding my own good- I am a free-thinking person.

@B3CKVH Last I checked, This is a government by the people, for the people, and there is a free imformation act- And I may...

Do you honestly think things would have been better if everyone knew about Pearl Habor? People still would have died. Does saving a handful of lives really make it worth it, or does it create animosity between the family of the saved and the victims?