+287

Marriage equality threatens traditional marriage in the same way that abolishing slavery made freedom less enjoyable for white people

Image for post Marriage equality threatens traditional marriage in the same way that abolishing slavery made freedom less enjoyable for white people
People & Celebrities
29 10

You know they really made it easy to put inspirations when posting these. They are funny but ... come on, at least put something in the box.

I'm the one who said it. It was later memed by a friend. I support marriage equality. If you disagreed with the statement, either you misunderstood it, or you're a bigot.

@1931485

You can make an anonymous post while still commenting openly.

And even if he wasn't OP, wouldn't mean he didn't originally say it.

@1931497

I am actually very confused to why you replied to his comment in the first place...

@1931485

OP is anonymous, but the words are mine.
http://i.politicomments.com/rs

I'm Michael Schiller. Nice to meet you.

@1931478

You're going to have to explain why you think so.

@1931484

I'm not equating slavery with marriage inequality. That's a misinterpretation. What I'm actually equating are the the threats posed by two changes in policy. Granting freedom to those who were denied it had no negative impact on the freedom of those who already possessed it. Likewise, granting marriage rights to those who have been denied them will have no impact on the marriages of those who already enjoyed entitlement.

The subjects are related in that they are both oppressed groups being denied personal freedoms by the majority, for fallacious purposes. There is nothing in the definition of an analogy that specifies that the subjects must "relate in the most important ways." That's simply something you appended as a matter of personal preference. But even if that were a requirement, the case could easily be made that this comparison meets your criterion.

THAT IS JUST WRONG

Tinas avatar Tina Disagree -2Reply