+1

Never trust anyone who believes with "absolute certainty."

VicZincs avatar People & Celebrities
0 19

why not? wary smilie

fuzalas avatar fuzala Disagree +1Reply

Or even better never trust anyone absolutely

Decision makers and action takers prefer absolute certainty over absolute “um, I'm not sure... I can't make up my mind or make a decision either way”.

@tyrannyvigilant Decision makers and action takers prefer absolute certainty over absolute “um, I'm not sure... I can't make up my...

So you think that people make decision based on "absolute certainly"? You are a leader - I believe that requiring "absolute" certainty would stymie decision making. Of course we don't want dart throwing decisions but waiting for every possible thread of evidence to be examined thoroughly? That would just take forever.

Most good leaders (yourself included I am sure) rely on good information and internal wisdom/experience to make highly educated guesses at probable outcomes. No one can for see all possible contingencies and even the best leaders make errors.

The key here is "absolute" certainty and I think there is no such thing (absent faith and I don't go in for faith as a source of knowledge.) Nothing can be known with 100% metaphysical certitude.

Keyword: absolute.
I am "certain" of gravity but there is an exceptionally small bit of doubt which means I'm not "absolutely certain".

Lens avatar Len Agree 0Reply
@Len Keyword: absolute. I am "certain" of gravity but there is an exceptionally small bit of doubt which means I'm...

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
Voltaire

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.
Vincent Van Gogh

Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
Bertrand Russell

If I am fool, it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom.
George Byron

The only certainty is that nothing is certain.
Pliny the Elder

@VicZinc Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire //For my part I know nothing with any...

what does trusting someone have to do with his/her certainty?

I'm certain that you don't believe in this post with absolute certainty even with the word never attached to it

fuzalas avatar fuzala Disagree +2Reply
@fuzala what does trusting someone have to do with his/her certainty? I'm certain that you don't believe in this post...

Not that I wouldn't trust them to walk my dog, but I would not trust them to be an expert on the subject to which they professed certitude.

@VicZinc Not that I wouldn't trust them to walk my dog, but I would not trust them to be an expert on the subject to...

Depending on the topic
I might trust the person even more
because he/she is so confident about it

if someone believes all that stuff about gravity with absolute certainty
I'd still trust what they were saying as much as I did previously

fuzalas avatar fuzala Disagree 0Reply

I am certain that one day I will die. You too!

Vic, you are really hung up on this business about Truth. There are uncertainties in life to be sure. But there's also lots of stuff you can count on.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Disagree 0Reply