0

It's kind of ridiculous for a woman to abort a child because there is a chance that the child will be special needs and have a "terrible life". Most of the time, many special needs children don't even realize they're different and have a perfectly happy life just the way they are.

Fanatics avatar
0 16

Haha. Nope. I completely disagree. Maybe in some situations that is the case, but I work with special needs kids and my own brother has autism and I've seen that most of the time it's not. These kids realize that they are different from others; they simply are very good at hiding their anguish and pain. The only acceptions I can think of are people like my brother, who is severely autistic and has an IQ of about 15. He is basically a walking vegetable that I love to death, so he is an innocent child that lives life oblivious to his difference from others. Like I said, most of the time, this is not the case. The ignorance concerning mental disability is astounding.

Having a mental disorder is also life changing to the people around the child. It ruins their lives in ways you cannot imagine. (I'm trying to tie it back to your post regarding abortion. And I hope I'm not sounding condescending. I apologize if I am. Do you know anyone with a disability?)

@Altoid_Freak_250 Haha. Nope. I completely disagree. Maybe in some situations that is the case, but I work with special needs kids...

I do. I volunteer at the Special Olympics yearly and did the day that I made this post. I have never in my life seen a group of people that are so full of joy despite all the issues they have. Throwing a ball as far as they can is the most exciting thing to some people and, even though they're not normal or easy to take care of, those people that I've met at the special Olympics are some of the most incredible people I've met and my heart would be broken to think that their parents could've aborted them just because of their disabilities. They're such beautiful human beings.

@Fanatic I do. I volunteer at the Special Olympics yearly and did the day that I made this post. I have never in my life...

Thank you for helping me expand on my point. It is very sweet that you are able to see the good in these wonderful people and I applaud you for volunteering at the Special Olympics, but what you are seeing is the "outside" of the situation. Unless you have a mentally disabled person in your immediate family, it is impossible to understand the difficulty that these human beings and their families have to go though. My mother was planning on going back to school and earning a Ph.D, but she can't do that now because of my brother. It's really that bad. I've been asked if I'd rather have a "normal" brother instead of the severely autistic one I have, and people are shocked when I say yes. It is hard for them to understand how difficult our life is because of my brother. I'd give almost anything for a 12-year-old preteen brother that would annoy me to death, play Wii all day, and cuss like a sailor. Also, the athletes at the Special Olympics are not representative of all people with mental disabilities. They are most likely pretty high-functioning individuals who are able to live relatively normal lives. For people like my brother, the gray area starts regarding abortion.

@Altoid_Freak_250 Thank you for helping me expand on my point. It is very sweet that you are able to see the good in these wonderful...

I'm really truly sorry you have to go through that. You're right, I have no idea what it is truly like. But on the special Olympics topic, the people I were around weren't even able to dress themselves properly. I had to help a 40 year old woman use the restroom. A man my friend was with had to wear a helmet because he smashed his head on everything on purpose. He was 70 years old. So no, they weren't fully functioning. And although I did not stay with them for more than 5 hours, I got a glimpse of what it was like to be around people like that for a long period of time. It's not easy. I can imagine that it can be a living hell for you sometimes. But those people never asked to be born that way. They need someone to help them through life. I don't know if you believe in God, but I do, and I truly think he puts people like that into families that he knows can handle them. Think of how much stronger your brother has probably made you and your family. And think how glad you are that he's in a family that loves him and cares about him instead of an environment where he might not be able to get the help that he needs.

@Fanatic I'm really truly sorry you have to go through that. You're right, I have no idea what it is truly like. But on the...

Thank you. I appreciate it.
That's interesting to note (what you mentioned about the Special Olympics). I suppose I tend to see those people more as more functioning because of my experiences with my brother. It breaks my heart to see people like that because I know my brother will need even more help when he is older. Also, I think he prevents me from discussing this topic objectively, and you are correct on many of your points. There are mentally disabled individuals who live happy lives; I just haven't met many of them myself.
I'm agnostic, so I do believe that God may exist, but I claim ignorance when discussing religion. Regardless, you are correct that I am very grateful that my brother was born into a safe home and is doing much better than he was about 5 to 6 years ago.

@Altoid_Freak_250 Thank you. I appreciate it. That's interesting to note (what you mentioned about the Special Olympics). I suppose I...

Well I mean, "special" people are all different really. From the majority that I've met, they just seem to live much more enriching lives, if that makes sense. They don't worry about their appearance or what other people think of them. The simplest things make them so happy. The woman that I worked with at the Olympics was truly someone that I look up to. She laughed at herself if she fell and was just so sweet and down to earth. I know not all people like her are like that, but it's just something I've noticed.

Anyways, I wish the best for you family. I hope your brother continues to get better and maybe your mom can go back to college for her phd someday:)

@Fanatic Well I mean, "special" people are all different really. From the majority that I've met, they just seem to live...

I respect your ability to see the best in people. I can tell that you are a very caring individual and I wish I had more of that quality. I've been told that I'm callous and calculating, even though I'd consider myself a realist more than a pessimist. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that.
And thanks again! I plan on taking care of my brother after college so that my parents are able to live stress free and luxuriously as seniors. It's the very least they deserve for taking care of my brother and me.

@Altoid_Freak_250 I respect your ability to see the best in people. I can tell that you are a very caring individual and I wish I had...

Thank you very much. I like to think I'm really compassionate for other people, but I lack patience a lot of the time. So there's my problem haha but that's really sweet of you for wanting to take care of your brother after college. I know that'll probably be really tough. So good luck:) I'll be praying for you and your family

Before
I didn't acknowledge on here that you said most special needs children don't realize that they're different

I honestly don't know about that
my cousin was mentally healthy all his life
but in his mid-twenties
he became mentally disabled
and I don't know if he knows that's he's disabled

I wonder if there are studies to show whether or not children know what they have

I think they know they're being treated differently
but I don't know if they know why they're treated differently

but I do agree that it's not automatically a terrible life
it's hard
being blind is hard too
or deaf
etc.
I'd say Helen Keller had a hard life
but that kind of thing is subjective and going to vary from individual to individual

my thing is who are we to decide who's life may or may not be terrible?
people have varying experiences
yes it's going to be hard
it's going to be a different life

I'd say the fetus has a right to experience life no matter how difficult in the case you described in your post

@fuzala Before I didn't acknowledge on here that you said most special needs children don't realize that they're different...

I completely agree. This life will suck for everyone at some point right? But there will be good times too. That's what life is all about

@Fanatic I completely agree. This life will suck for everyone at some point right? But there will be good times too. That's...

some may argue that the kid may cause a lot of resentment and other issues
there's a lot of pain involved and hardships on the caretakers

I have another cousin who was born disabled
my aunt and uncle have a really tough time
they can't do all the things other parents are able to do
but I think they'd still keep him despite all that
because his life is worth the hardship

so the kid and others will face many hardships
there's no sugarcoating it

but as you said
that kind of thing builds strength
or it might tear the family apart
who knows?

that's the thing
we don't know how it's going to end up
I think that the value of life is high enough to take that chance

obviously
some won't agree
but that's my two cents

@fuzala some may argue that the kid may cause a lot of resentment and other issues there's a lot of pain involved and...

Yeah, definitely. I don't know, I'm a strong believer in the fact that everything happens for a reason. I think people are put into our lives to make us stronger and teach us lesson. I don't think God would give a child like that to a family who couldn't handle it.

@Fanatic Yeah, definitely. I don't know, I'm a strong believer in the fact that everything happens for a reason. I think...

allowing someone to live trumps taking away hardships on others in my opinion
with the exception that that life will take another life

and I agree
we're not given more than we can handle

@Fanatic Yep, I completely agree.

you see
I'm trying to understand the other side

but I don't see it

I've asked someone to explain why
but I didn't get it

how can eliminating be what's best for them?
sure you stop them from a hard life
but you also keep them from having a life period
that hard life is bound to have some fruits to gain in some way shape or form

@fuzala you see I'm trying to understand the other side but I don't see it I've asked someone to explain why but I...

Exactly. I will never understand aborting a child because there life will be hard. Everyone's life is hard. But there's so much beauty in it, too. It's just so selfish in my opinion.