+18

A person who tailgates others at 75mph and practices other dangerous driving habits would be a hypocrite if they advocated gun control by saying, "I deserve the right to safety!" Amirite?

StickCavemans avatar Law
2 4
The voters have decided that StickCaveman is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Almost anyone who advocates gun control saying that they have a right to safety is a hypocrite. People don't get exactly how many goddamn guns there are compared to everything else, and how few incidents there really are.

Owning a pool poses a much, much bigger threat to your children than owning a gun. Owning a dog, car, or being a smoker puts you and everyone around you at a much greater danger than owning a gun. It's just that the fucking media can make anything look like an endemic problem by reporting what they want, and people take what they see on the news and project it onto their view of the world.

"Uh-oh, someone's kid got into their pistol and shot themselves. Kids are clearly shooting themselves left and right all across the nation. However, I don't see any reports of kids dying in car crashes, clearly this does not happen."

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Mike_Hawk Almost anyone who advocates gun control saying that they have a right to safety is a hypocrite. People don't get...

Personally, I don't even think there is a "right to safety". I believe human rights come down to what a person is capable of individually, without the help from anybody else or any form of government. The right to safety is a myth because safety is an illusion. Say the government were to crumble apart overnight. This little notion of safety people people think they have goes right out the window. The right to defend yourself and family against harm, however, does exist and it doesn't just have to apply to guns.

For example: Putting up a fence around your pool to keep your children from going near it when you're not watching would be defending them against drowning, not saving them from drowning.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +1Reply
@StickCaveman Personally, I don't even think there is a "right to safety". I believe human rights come down to what a person is...

I agree. We have a right to take steps to ensure our safety, but we aren't entitled to having the Government take away things that put us in danger. Even more ridiculous are the people who argue that guns should be illegal because of their "right to feel safe". It blows my mind that some people think the Government is obligated to make sure people feel safe.

It's also hypocritical, because the people who are afraid of the gun owners are even more paranoid than the person carrying the gun for protection. Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be a victim of any crime than a gun crime specifically. The person carrying a pistol should be more afraid of you than you should be of them.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Mike_Hawk I agree. We have a right to take steps to ensure our safety, but we aren't entitled to having the Government take...

Yeah, the whole 'right to feel safe' argument was exactly what I was referring to.

A big problem with this growing dependence on the government is that if it were to suddenly disappear, people wouldn't know how to live without. It's like with offspring, the idea is that children learn and slowly gain responsibility as they grow older so that when they're finally 18 or 21, the weight of the world doesn't overwhelm them. But some people have it backwards. Some grown ass adults don't want to handle big responsibility such as living for themselves.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are 0Reply