+14

It's pretty sad that this site used to be for sharing your opinions and seeing if people agreed, but the multiple choice questions just make it a surveying site, amirite?

Skr3wBalls avatar Life
0 14
The voters have decided that Skr3wBall is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Still seems like you are sharing your opinion (if you vote) and letting others share theirs. Then seeing who agrees with who on each option. I think its interesting to see if the atheist all vote the same, the religious, the liberals, the conservatives, etc. It is interesting because they don't always vote the same way. Of course I am new, so the voting options have always been there for me - but it still seems opinion based.

@VicZinc Still seems like you are sharing your opinion (if you vote) and letting others share theirs. Then seeing who agrees...

Asking people how often they watch movies isn't sharing an opinion at all. The multiple choice option doesn't allow you to share your own opinion easily.

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Yeah You Are -1Reply
@Skr3wBall Asking people how often they watch movies isn't sharing an opinion at all. The multiple choice option doesn't allow...

The multiple choice options asks one's opinions - its add another dimension to the site

@The multiple choice options asks one's opinions - its add another dimension to the site

The site is to post opinions. Giving the option to survey other opinions rather than having your own is like adding an "answer" feature to dearblankpleaseblank.com

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Skr3wBall The site is to post opinions. Giving the option to survey other opinions rather than having your own is like adding...

The site isn't just to post opinions otherwise the MC option wouldnt be there. The site is about opinions. I've been here for a while now and like the changes. Also if you have noticed the MC options seem to have got more people commenting / interesting than the main posts

@The site isn't just to post opinions otherwise the MC option wouldnt be there. The site is about opinions. I've...

I personally enjoyed it when posts were funny, but true and made me laugh or made me think, or created cool imagery. Now I come to the just in to see that I'm being surveyed and I honestly hate surveys. They're tedious, uninteresting, and I don't even apply to all of these and none of them say "Not Applicable" or "N/A"! I don't see why the MC option is useful unless you say your opinion then say 20q or akinator answers like "Usually/Generally" "Yeah" "No" "sometimes" "not often/not really" "What do you mean?" or something.

Agreed, but post floods detract from the site - make it seem one dimensional and should be restricted.

@VicZinc Agreed, but post floods detract from the site - make it seem one dimensional and should be restricted.

Flooding only occurs if your on the just In page - but on the Homepage and other pages they just blend in. Also say there were 1m people on at the same time what you call 'flooding' is bound to happen.

@Flooding only occurs if your on the just In page - but on the Homepage and other pages they just blend in. Also say...

But not by the same person. If as many users were on the site as when it was at it's popularity peak, floods wouldn't happen, the posts were from different people, they moved fast, but they were different people. Of course sometimes there were users who just posted as much as they could in 1 minute, but they usually were all trash.

Respectfully disagree.
If there a 1m people on the flooding is less likely because post would dovetail and you would not get a whole page of posts from the same poster.

Even on the homepage I often see 5 of 6 posts in a row from the same poster, usually Anonymous, probably a moderator or a close friend of a mod, often they are reposts from other sites.

Just saying, a limit like 5 in an hour wouldn't hurt.

@VicZinc Respectfully disagree. If there a 1m people on the flooding is less likely because post would dovetail and you...

I doubt homepaged posts are of the mods or 'friends of the mods' since mods have to be trustworthy and would not be mods otherwise,

Ye I kinda see your point but its a difficult balance to maintain

@I doubt homepaged posts are of the mods or 'friends of the mods' since mods have to be trustworthy and would not be...

Not to be a jerk, 5 or 6 of those posts from this morning's flood just got home paged - so what's that all about?

Second, look at James1 stats. Clearly he posts Anonymously and those posts often get homepaged. Not that they don't deserve to be homepage.

Just saying. It happens a lot. Mods are trustworthy but somehow their posts seem to get homepage at an above average rate.

That's a good point. I have used the option and will be careful in the future to make sure it is worded correctly.

I haven't woke up enough to read the thread above me.

I think the occasional poll post can be a good thing. It's a good way to get opinions on relevant issues. The extent to which they are being used is ridiculous, though. People are spamming the most inane polls they can think of. They should definitely cut back on that.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are 0Reply