+21

If the future scares you, focus on the present. If the present scares you, focus on the future.

Fanatics avatar
2 19

What good would hiding from your fears do? Rather than hiding, we should prepare to face them. One day we'll have to, whether in the present or in the future. Putting it off will leave us unprepared and perhaps ill-suited to take responsibility in our lives where we need to.

@Fanatic I wasn't really referring to fears. More anxiety or sadness.

Ah, I see. But if someone is sad/anxious over their present or future, they shouldn't look to one or the other for a comfort zone. They should find what they can fix either now, or for the future, that will stop those feelings that may have a large impact with either or both.

I interpreted "focus" to mean "focus on improving", not just looking at the conditions and doing nothing about it. I hope that's what you were going for.

@Altoid_Freak_250 I interpreted "focus" to mean "focus on improving", not just looking at the conditions and doing nothing about it...

I kinda meant it as, if you're worried about the future, just look at how good the present is and enjoy that and if you're worried about something in the present, focus on all the great things to come

@Fanatic I kinda meant it as, if you're worried about the future, just look at how good the present is and enjoy that and if...

I might have to change my vote then (I'll wait till you reply, perhaps you could explain it further). I don't agree with doing nothing and apathetic behavior. I think if you're worried about something you should try to fix it, no matter how small.

@Altoid_Freak_250 I might have to change my vote then (I'll wait till you reply, perhaps you could explain it further). I don't agree...

Of course, if its a certain thing you're worried about, you should change it, but a lot of people I know that are worried about the future and worried because of the uncertainty. And I don't think that does any good because we won't know the future until it comes. So why worry about it? Just enjoy the present. And if it's something in the present your worried about, you should try and change it, but as a whole, worrying really doesn't do any good. And it'll probably lessen your worry if you look at the future and all the great things to come. When you look at the big picture, all the little things you're worrying about now seem to become a lot smaller.

@Fanatic Of course, if its a certain thing you're worried about, you should change it, but a lot of people I know that are...

Bravo, I liked your explanation. y smilie
I agree that too much worrying is a terrible thing. Just today my family was driving through bad rain and hail and my father kept shouting that it was my mom's fault for wanting to leave so early and that if a piece of hail broke though the windshield bad stuff would go down. I didn't want to be disrespectful but I felt like he was worrying way too much. (We got home safe and sound, by the way.)
I'm working on developing a more positive attitude and I think this post is encouraging me to do just that, so thanks. smile smilie

@Altoid_Freak_250 Bravo, I liked your explanation. I agree that too much worrying is a terrible thing. Just today my family was...

Well I'm glad to hear that this is encouraging you:) and I'm glad you guys made it home without a broken windshield haha hope you are successful in your positive thinking:)

What if both scare you? And also the past scares you too.

@BuddyCakes What if both scare you? And also the past scares you too.

I wasn't really referring to fear in this. If you're scared of something, you should face it or talk to someone about it

@Fanatic I wasn't really referring to fear in this. If you're scared of something, you should face it or talk to someone about it

Ohh, okay, I get you. Sorry, I'm a little out of it today. I'm on some really good pain meds, so I haven't been thinking to straight.

@Fanatic Haha nah it's my fault, I should've worded this post better

Nah, it's cool. Hydrocodone does some weird stuff to me. I had some dental surgery yesterday.

I've seen worse reasonings. But I think it's dangerous to just focus on one of them. If the present scares you, that's all the more reason to focus on why it scares you. If you don't you won't be able to get to the future you want.