+4

saying that your not ready for sex doesn't make you less of a person; it will only make you more of a person

happyme14s avatar
0 23

So the people who are ready for sex are lesser people?

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Disagree +5Reply
@Mike_Hawk So the people who are ready for sex are lesser people?

I don't think the post says that

those who are ready aren't acknowledged here

@fuzala I don't think the post says that those who are ready aren't acknowledged here

There are only two types of people. One group is something, so the opposite statement is automatically true for the other group.

For example: We have Group A and Group B. People in Group A are warmer, therefore people in Group B are colder. Neither can be true without the other being true as well.

Saying a person who is not ready for sex is more of a person is the exact same thing as saying that a person ready for sex is less of a person. They are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Disagree +1Reply
@Mike_Hawk There are only two types of people. One group is something, so the opposite statement is automatically true for the...

I could say those who go to school are smart

but that doesn't mean I'm saying those who don't go are not smart

I'm not acknowledging the people who don't go to school

they could very well be smart too

@fuzala I could say those who go to school are smart but that doesn't mean I'm saying those who don't go are not...

"Smart" is an adjective you can use without the need for a comparison. A comparison is necessary with words like "more" or "less".

Let's take your example and modify it to fit the post. "Those who go to school are smarter." Now you are saying that those who don't go to school are not as smart as those who do. Since there are only two groups and the adjective is a comparative one, the other group is automatically acknowledged as the opposite of whatever you said.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Disagree +4Reply
@Mike_Hawk "Smart" is an adjective you can use without the need for a comparison. A comparison is necessary with words like...

okay I got another one

say that I said
Walking to school doesn't make me a poorer person. It will only make me a richer person.

that doesn't mean that the walker is a richer person than the ones that don't walk to school
that walker is just talking about himself
without acknowledging the non-walkers

@fuzala okay I got another one say that I said //Walking to school doesn't make me a poorer person. It will only make me...

The groups of people are now scenarios. Scenario A = you walking to school, Scenario B = you not walking to school.

Scenario A leads you to being richer (than Scenario B). Therefore, Scenario B must make you poorer (than Scenario A).

@Mike_Hawk The groups of people are now scenarios. Scenario A = you walking to school, Scenario B = you not walking to school...

that's the thing though
Scenario B isn't acknowledged

the walker is just talking about his own scenario
scenario B could be someone who roller blades to school for all we know
which would mean they're saving just as much money

the walker never says he'll be richer than someone else
just that he'll be richer period for walking

@fuzala that's the thing though Scenario B isn't acknowledged the walker is just talking about his own scenario scenario...

No, you're missing the point. Both scenarios account for that person alone. If that person would be richer from walking, it is implied that that person would be poorer from not walking. Other people are irrelevant. Taking other methods of transportation into account voids the whole example. The post is based around two groups: people ready for sex, and people not ready for sex.

If you have a situation in which the subjects can be divided into two distinct groups, any comparative inference about one group implies the opposite for the other group. This is a logical fact.

oh I'm gonna make another example with the school using the post format

Going to school doesn't make me a dumber person. It makes me a smarter person.

Here
I'm not saying anything about those who don't go to school
perhaps those who didn't go to school became smarter using other sources

I'm not saying I'm smarter than those who didn't go
just that I became smarter
the comparison is between the past me and the present me

@fuzala oh I'm gonna make another example with the school using the post format //Going to school doesn't make me a...

You're still completely missing the point. In that example, you are comparing yourself without school to you with school. You said that going to school makes you smarter; and that automatically means that you would be dumber had you not gone to school.

@1916276

This isn't directed at any one person. The comparison is against one's self, but the implications cover everyone. It is stated that a person not ready for sex is more of a person. More of a person than who, exactly? More of a person than someone who is ready.

It still divides everyone into two groups; those ready for sex, and those not. The point being made is that the people not ready for sex are more of a person. Since the people not ready are more, then the people ready must be lesser people.

@Mike_Hawk You're still completely missing the point. In that example, you are comparing yourself without school to you with...

I made that example before your other comment so that's why it's the same example format again

the OP is doing the same thing

comparing you to not being ready
it's about you
comparing the past you who didn't make a decision
and the you that has made the decision that you're not ready

so the post is saying you're more of a person in comparison to you before the decision
it's not making a comparison with another group of people

it's making a comparison to you now and the person you were pre-decision

@fuzala I made that example before your other comment so that's why it's the same example format again the OP is doing...

It's not about making a decision, it's based upon your decision. If you aren't ready for sex, the post is saying you are more of a person. If you are ready for sex, the post is automatically implying that you are less of a person.

It is saying that if you are ready for sex, you are less of a person than you would be if you weren't ready for sex. This isn't directed at any one person; the implications are for all who see the post.

@Mike_Hawk It's not about making a decision, it's based upon your decision. If you aren't ready for sex, the post is saying...

I honestly am not seeing that implication

I think we should ask OP what was implied to settle this

the OP implied one thing
but you and me are inferring the post differently

@fuzala I honestly am not seeing that implication I think we should ask OP what was implied to settle this the OP...

It's possible OP was saying that people who say they aren't ready to have sex are more of a person than people who aren't ready for sex but are scared to say it. That doesn't make nearly as much sense to me, though.

@Mike_Hawk It's possible OP was saying that people who say they aren't ready to have sex are more of a person than people who...

well it could also be the first word in the post

OP isn't just talking about not being ready
OP is also talking about being able to say you're not ready

with peer pressure involved
OP could be saying that being able to say you're not ready when you're not ready makes you stronger than you saying you're ready when you're not

because you had the ability to say what you're really thinking

why doesn't it make as much sense?

Some people are ready, and others aren't. There is no "more" or "less" going on. People are all different.

who said you're less of a person if you're not ready?

I don't see how it makes you more of a person. Once you've decided within yourself that you aren't ready for sex, it isn't anybodies business. If someone wants to have sex with you and you don't want to, you don't owe them an explanation, you don't get brownie points for giving them an explanation. I will say that it goes both ways, it takes a pretty mature person to decide either way if they are ready for sex or not. I feel like I said sex a lot in that paragraph...hmmm sex sex sex.

It doesn't make you better or worse. You're just not ready. You are not special because of that.

what was intended was that people are pressured into doing things they are not ready for so saying that you are truly not ready makes you more of a person in your heart. Also some of these comments are quite interesting to say the least