-84

A man should be able to relinquish all responsibility for an unborn child.

Universes avatar People & Celebrities
0 18

Only up to the first trimester. No dawdling. You can't wait until you see its face and then go - "Ahhh, nope! Push it back in."

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Disagree +11Reply

If it's his then hell no.
He helped create the child so he should be there to help support the mother and help raise it and not relinquish all the responsibility like a lazy-ass piece of trash.

@xxdetroitxx If it's his then hell no. He helped create the child so he should be there to help support the mother and...

I assume you are not pro-choice (if you are I am sorry for writing this). If a woman has the right to abort without the father's consent then he should have (up to the first trimester) the right to disown. (I don't want it, but if you do it's yours and yours alone.)

Alternately, the girl must get permission from the father to abort, and that seems more intrusive than allowing him to give it up and leaving the decision to her.

Also I forgot to say "no backsies" once he gives it up, no coming back. Like an abortion - it is a one-way street.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Disagree +1Reply
@iamthewalrus so why do you disagree

To open. Must have stipulations, like I said above. He can't wait until it's too late to abort and then say he doesn't want it. So I agree in principle with OP but not without provisio. So I disagree that a man should be able to for any unborn child (e.g., mom is in labor and I take the bus to Vegas) but there should be a legal option to relinquish while mom still has a chance to make her own decision if she wants to go it alone.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Disagree +2Reply
@VicZinc To open. Must have stipulations, like I said above. He can't wait until it's too late to abort and then say he...

While this makes sense, we aren't even sure how much longer it will be legal to have abortions. We can't make laws either way until we have a clear law for when abortion may or may not be legal. Also, it makes more sense for the mother to have the choice to abort because she will be the one carrying it for 9+ months

its_mes avatar its_me Disagree -3Reply

Well, if it's not his...

Are you fucking kidding me? That would mean that guys could just sleep around with whoever all the time but not claim any of the babies they took part in making, leaving a pregnant mother and a fatherless child. In what world is that okay?? That's extremely disgusting that anyone would be okay with that. You took part in making the baby. You chose to have unprotected sex. This life is half your responsibility. We're not talking about objects here that we can choose to have or not have. This is a persons LIFE. Would you be cool with growing up knowing that one of the people that made you didn't want to be a part of your life because they didn't want to take responsibility for what they did? That's a TERRIBLE example for a child. What kind of world do we live in these days..?

@Are you fucking kidding me? That would mean that guys could just sleep around with whoever all the time but not...

A world where a woman can get pregnant and choose to abort the baby without asking the man's permission. Like you say it should be 50/50. But it is not. The woman has an out, and the man should also - up to a point of viability.

@VicZinc A world where a woman can get pregnant and choose to abort the baby without asking the man's permission. Like you...

The woman has an out because she will be carrying the baby for 9 months. So if she aborts, the father will have no responsibilities, neither will she. But if the man wants out and the woman doesn't, he leaves her with ALL of the responsibility I the baby. That doesn't seem fair, does it?

@The woman has an out because she will be carrying the baby for 9 months. So if she aborts, the father will have no...

She can abort if she doesn't want to do it alone. What if the tables are turned, she wants to abort but he wants to keep it? How is that fair?

@VicZinc She can abort if she doesn't want to do it alone. What if the tables are turned, she wants to abort but he wants...

Because he's not the one going through hell for 9 months!!! I'm sorry but that's the truth and it DOES give her more of a right. He can't MAKE her put herself through that if she doesn't want to go through it. That's why it makes sense.

@Because he's not the one going through hell for 9 months!!! I'm sorry but that's the truth and it DOES give her...

I get that totally which is why I am against letting the father have a say in the abortion - it is her decision, period. BUT - if she decides to keep it, he should have a window of opportunity to say - "I really don't want it, if you are going to keep it fine, but I won't support it." That gives her one more chance to abort. If she decides to go it alone, great she goes alone. If she decides to keep the man and let the baby go, that's fine too.

It is 100% equal except that she needs to carry it - so it should be her decision to carry or not, but if she decided to carry it and he doesn't want it, he need a window of opportunity to say no.

@VicZinc I get that totally which is why I am against letting the father have a say in the abortion - it is her decision...

And I definitely get that too, I just feel like what if she reallyyy wants to keep it but feels like she won't have enough financial support to take care of it. It would be heartbreaking to make that decision so I kind of feel like it is biologically half his so if she decides to keep it, she may need some financial support. I'm not talking a ton, just enough to give the baby what it needs. I wouldn't want a girl to be out into a position where she feels like she HAS to abort it for financial reasons. That would be heartbreaking. This would probably make more sense to girls because we are way more emotionally tied to the baby, even when we're just carrying it.

@And I definitely get that too, I just feel like what if she reallyyy wants to keep it but feels like she won't have...

Well reasoned. I agree except, unfortunately the woman bares a higher obligation to prevent pregnancy for that very reason. It is sad that our society is not set up to support single mothers properly, but it isn't. I get that a woman's sexual urges are as strong as a man's but a man does not carry the same physical or emotional burden as the woman so she needs to be the master of prevention if she is not ready or able to "go it alone."

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Disagree 0Reply
@VicZinc Well reasoned. I agree except, unfortunately the woman bares a higher obligation to prevent pregnancy for that...

For sure. I agree that the woman should be on birth control in the first place. And it would make sense for the man to have a way to get out if things were more set up for single mothers. That way, she would know the baby could be properly taken care of. I think we agree on most of this, just now a few of the details. lol. But good convo I think we handled that well highfives