+20

Never forget the people of Boston 4/15/13

happyme14s avatar People & Celebrities
0 51

I don't know who they are, I don't think I'll remember them...

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Disagree +15Reply

31 dead and over 200 injured in Iraq bombings yesterday. But I only have to remember the Americans, right?

Discords avatar Discord Disagree +9Reply
@Discord 31 dead and over 200 injured in Iraq bombings yesterday. But I only have to remember the Americans, right?

The post was not making a contest between who can have the worst fucking tragedy, it was just a nice sentiment. I understand disagreeing with it, but what happened in Iraq is not relevant to this post.

@Discord I can't remember everyone who dies.

I know that, which is why I understand disagreeing with this post. I just felt that it was unnecessary to compare it to what happened in Iraq.

You don't have to. But if everyone only remembered like 14 people we could remember literally everyone who has ever died

Exactly what I was going to say. I don't understand how your comment got so many downvotes. I suppose some people have to get revenge somehow, by logging off and downvoting comments just because they can't come up with a good rebuttal.

People get killed everyday.

Discords avatar Discord Disagree +7Reply

The people affected by it may need to forget and move on. I find that acceptable and understandable.

Lens avatar Len Disagree +3Reply

100% certain no one will be talking about Boston in a weeks time.

Already stopped caring.

@HopeImrite Already stopped caring.

but if it was someone you knew you would be weeping right now not being an ignorant person on the internet

@happyme14 but if it was someone you knew you would be weeping right now not being an ignorant person on the internet

But it's not, so I'm not particularly inclined to remember them. They have people who will remember that that were actually close an knew the person. I did not know these people, so I don't think it would matter if I made the eeffort to not forget them.

I think the whole thing was really over-dramatized.

It doesn't make them more deserving. How many times have people posted on Facebook/twitter and verbally talked about remembering people dying in Iraq,Asia,Africa,from random deaths,shootings,stabbings... etc? Tons, this is just another one of those types of posts, acknowledging the incident. Remembering these people who have died for no reason, exactly like in other places. It's not a big deal to think about these people from this event. We're constantly thinking about the sad tragic things that are going on in this world (at least I am, and i'm aware) Remembering DOES NOT mean remembering specific names of people and how many have died. Remembering means thinking of these innocent people that have been killed for no reason, and taking a second of your day to give them a thought, that they are not forgotten, and this tragic situation is terrible and you wish it didn't happen.

so all of you are saying that the people who died on 9/11 the Columbine shootings, Colorado theatre shootings, and many more just like that shouldn't be remembered because people die everyday? People on here blow my mind

@Discord They all have people who will remember them.

That is what this WHOLE ENTIRE POST has been about. Not necessarily remembering the people( because I didnt know them personally) but remembering that innocent people died and remembering the event.

@happyme14 so all of you are saying that the people who died on 9/11 the Columbine shootings, Colorado theatre shootings, and...

It is important. It is significant. It is sad. But we cannot give it any more attention than we give any other deaths on the planet, and we do not have the mental capacity to forever keep everyone's death in mind. At some point, it will be recorded in history, but we have to move on. If we're not to forget these people, we're not to forget anybody because the people of Boston are no more important than any others. And we don't have that much attention to give.

Do you remember the bombing of The World Trade Center?

It's not about making people who were killed "special" as you call it. It's about caring and remembering that these innocent people have died because of something so shameless. I don't know why you're characterizing people who are killed as being "special" The fact of the matter is, is that we should care and remember all those who have been killed when they shouldn't have been. And i think you're using the term "remember" too specifically. Remember this situation doesn't mean remembering their specific names... it means remembering that they were killed and it shouldn't have happened. It means remembering this situation.

@It's not about making people who were killed "special" as you call it. It's about caring and remembering that these...

Then why not remember everyone else who dies on this planet, what makes the Boston people more deserving?

@shelbme Then why not remember everyone else who dies on this planet, what makes the Boston people more deserving?

It doesn't make anyone more deserving. Death is death. We all want to be remembered by someone. But I'll be the first to admit I don't know about every tragedy that goes on in the world. I do know about this one, though, so I want those people that were harmed to be remembered and know that I'm praying for them and their families.

whoever disliked this post is an idiot and has no empathy. Bit*hes.

@whoever disliked this post is an idiot and has no empathy. Bit*hes.

Clearly, you have no empathy for people that disagree with you.

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Disagree +7Reply
@Skr3wBall Clearly, you have no empathy for people that disagree with you.

what empathy should I show for people that are being disagreeing with this? As far as this post goes everyone should be agreeing with it because just because people die everyday and what not doesn't mean they shouldn't forget the people who died in this particular explosion. Clearly you don't know the definition of empathy.

@what empathy should I show for people that are being disagreeing with this? As far as this post goes everyone...

I used the word the same way you did. I honestly don't think I will remember the Boston Marathon in 20 years, I didn't know there was a marathon in the first place. And I don't see why I should, I don't know them, I don't know who died, I don't know the 140+ people injured and I've never been to Boston. I don't remember every bombing, mass murder attempt or things like that, it's not that I think it's stupid or whatever, I just don't think I need to remember that. Plus, this post is not something you can agree with, it's a command.

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Disagree +2Reply
@Skr3wBall I used the word the same way you did. I honestly don't think I will remember the Boston Marathon in 20 years, I...

You should remember it because it's simple human kindness. Is it even really that hard to remember something. You can just be like "Oh yeah there was this bad bombing in Boston. I remember" in 20 years.

@comedic_philosopher You should remember it because it's simple human kindness. Is it even really that hard to remember something. You...

As you get older, your memory gets progressively worse. If I lived in boston or was at the marathon, it'd definitely be easy. But if I'm not reminded once a month I'm probably going to forget by 2016 since they probably will stop referencing it during it's anniversary by 2015.

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Disagree +1Reply

What makes the people who died in this particular explosion special compared to anyone else who died yesterday?

@Mike_Hawk What makes the people who died in this particular explosion special compared to anyone else who died yesterday?

Who says they have to be different/special in order to be remembered?
What happened yesterday was a tragedy, and tragedies should be remembered.

@xxdetroitxx Who says they have to be different/special in order to be remembered? What happened yesterday was a tragedy, and...

It's a tragedy because people died. People die constantly. I ask again, what makes these people special?

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Disagree +1Reply
@Mike_Hawk It's a tragedy because people died. People die constantly. I ask again, what makes these people special?

It's a tragedy because a group of innocent people died/ were injured and hundreds of people were affected by it.
What makes these people special is that they shouldn't have died. They weren't on their deathbeds or really sick or really old. They were murdered in a sense.

What's next? Are you going to say 9/11 wasn't a tragedy?

@xxdetroitxx It's a tragedy because a group of innocent people died/ were injured and hundreds of people were affected by...

Tens of thousands of people who weren't sick or on their deaths beds die every single day, and millions are affected by it.

I never said this wasn't a tragedy, so why would I say 9/11 isn't a tragedy?

You still haven't given me a reason why these people are more special than anyone else who died.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Disagree +5Reply
@Mike_Hawk Tens of thousands of people who weren't sick or on their deaths beds die every single day, and millions are...

Why do they have to be special in order to be remembered?
They should be remembered because they died during a tragic event.
I agree they aren't any more special than anyone else that died that day.

@xxdetroitxx Why do they have to be special in order to be remembered? They should be remembered because they died during a...

Because then we wouldn't have time do anything else. We have to move to the future, we can't just spend all of our time remembering every single aspect of the past.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Disagree +7Reply

Then we'd have to remember every single person that died, and I don't think every single one is on the news. Unless you read obituaries and have a census or something.

@Skr3wBall Then we'd have to remember every single person that died, and I don't think every single one is on the news. Unless...

You wouldn't have to remember them personally, just remember the event that occured and that there were people that died during that event.

No, it's a tragedy because it was at a marathon. It was an event people gather at after training for years to run it. To say that a man training for years for this marathon, only to have his legs blown off by a bomb wasn't a tragedy is just ridiculous. Just because there are other bad things going on in the world, it doesn't mean we can't remember the people of Boston. People starving and dying all around the world does not minimize the severity of a bombing at a seemingly safe gathering