-60

The paradox of the stone successfully disproves the Christian God.

Religion
0 12

What's with all the posts lately bashing Christians? I don't hold the same beliefs they do but I'm also not going to make twenty posts trying to disprove their god. Show some respect to your peers and their worldviews.

@TheBlindMan What's with all the posts lately bashing Christians? I don't hold the same beliefs they do but I'm also not going...

I'm all for not flame-baiting (which some of these posts can be, for sure), but we are in no way shape or form expected to respect other people's world views. We can acknowledge them, tolerate them, show them dignity, but no where is it required to show respect. There is nothing sacred about any specific belief, and they are all subject to discussion and scrutiny.

Telling someone not to post about Christianity because we need to "respect" other's beliefs puts a stop to any sort of discourse we could have on the subject. For all we know, Christians are posting these to find opinions that may be different from theirs, and discuss it with people.

Also, it's not surprising that on a website about opinions that there are a large amount of posts regarding Christianity. Religion is a very opinionated and controversial topic.

@TenorSounds I'm all for not flame-baiting (which some of these posts can be, for sure), but we are in no way shape or form...

We can acknowledge them, tolerate them and show them dignity, but none of these are required either just as respecting them isn't required. It's just considered the right thing to do.

Besides, respecting a topic does not mean that you can't discuss or scrutinize it, it just means that you shouldn't needlessly bash it. You act like I am telling people to never post about Christianity when in fact I'm not.

@TheBlindMan We can acknowledge them, tolerate them and show them dignity, but none of these are required either just as...

Fair enough, though that was how you were making it sound. At least to me. Your remark about not "make[ing] 20 posts trying to disprove their god" would lead me to believe you don't want people to try to disprove their (christians) god, which is exactly what I am saying we should WANT them to do. If you don't want to be taken the wrong way, be careful about how you phrase things.

I agree that we shouldn't "needlessly bash" beliefs, but I don't think these posts are doing that. Now, I haven't been to all the pages, but I haven't seen a post akin to "Christians suck, amirite?" or anything like that. Just questions. Questions that can be put up by anyone looking for an opinion on the matter, regardless of their "motivations". Is this post "bashing" Christianity?

Also, I didn't mean to imply that the other aspects I brought up (acceptance, tolerance, etc.) were required; the wording I used was a little confusing, I admit. It's actually closer to your point, that it's the "right thing to do". If we're going to get to the "down-and dirty", as it were, my opinion is that acknowledgment and dignity are generally accepted as inherent, but respect (and tolerance/acceptance) is not.

No it doesn't. The question is posed to make a paradox, or an un-answerable question for theists. but it is a false dilemma.

If there is an omnipotent God, why not say that he can create any size rock that he wants, but that he can also lift any said rock? God's power would not be limited in this response, but only his ability to do the logically impossible.

People need to recognize the distinction between physical and logical impossibility. God could conceptually do the physically impossible (such as walk on water, be in two places at once, speak the world into being, etc) but not every theist would argue for God in the face of absurdity (making a square circle, lifting a rock that is too heavy for him, etc)

Joe_Larsons avatar Joe_Larson Disagree +10Reply
@Joe_Larson No it doesn't. The question is posed to make a paradox, or an un-answerable question for theists. but it is a...

I like you. You say the things I'm too lazy to type, and you're one of the few people I think are intelligent enough to defend the positions upon which we agree.

The Bible is filled with things that seem impossible to us. The blind seeing, the dead being raised, and the idea of the holy trinity is basically impossible for us to understand. But the beauty of faith is that it's believing in something whole heartedly without the need for any "proof". It's accepting that some things aren't meant to be understood by anyone but God. You cant disprove Christianity by saying something is impossible. Maybe we just haven't seen it yet. Maybe we can't comprehend it.

@Fanatic The Bible is filled with things that seem impossible to us. The blind seeing, the dead being raised, and the idea...

I feel like that's exactly the problem with faith. If you believe say, the colour red is actually blue wholeheartedly, it doesn't make you right. Facts are facts and simply believing its true doesn't make it so

You should look at Joe_Larson's comment above to understand how the OP's question is invalid in the first place.
Also, the question is something someone made up with no proof that it could at all actually be possible (as opposed to, say, the universe expanding), so within the question are words that bring the level of comprehension down to our understanding of how we already envision the problem. If you need to bring the level of comprehension up and therefore past our full grasp, I'd imagine that can only be done by some sort of proof that it could be done.

Stuffs avatar Stuff Disagree 0Reply

I'm curious...can anyone explain the disagree opinion? I just want to know.

Not if said omnipotent god was just fucking with us.