+11

If every opinion matters then we should have a system wherein if users do not agree that a post should be deleted, it shouldn't be deleted. Furthermore we should have more power homepage posts, this power shouldn't be left in the hands of the moderators alone, amirite?

Lens avatar Internet & Apps
2 14
The voters have decided that Len is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I suggested this to them a while ago, not in these words, but the same concept.
They've not implemented it so this is similar to a petition.

I'll go a bit more in depth with my ideas, I'd like another page where deleted posts go, after reaching a threshold of removal votes they'd be removed or after reaching a threshold of reinstating votes they'd be put back on the top of the just in page, so as to not let posts get unfairly low levels of attention by being deleted.

I'd like the same-ish thing applied to posts on the just in page, once we reach a threshold of homepage votes and/or favourites a post should be featured on the homepage at some point, as I understand there's a queue for homepaging so this wouldn't lead to flooding, it'd lead to more of what the users want on the homepage which is obviously a good thing.

Really, I want the most control we can give the users, reasonably.
Before any large site changes I'd also like a vote, ie. if voting options were going to be changed (in terms of their looks, I mean, of course) we'd have before and after pictures and a vote or perhaps a trial of a week or more then a vote about it.

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Len I suggested this to them a while ago, not in these words, but the same concept. They've not implemented it so this...

It's a good idea but people barely vote to homepage posts currently. To be effective the bar would have to be so low that one or two homepage or delete votes would make the post get deleted or homepaged and if it's that low then really it would still be a single person's decision.

TheBlindMans avatar TheBlindMan Yeah You Are 0Reply
@TheBlindMan It's a good idea but people barely vote to homepage posts currently. To be effective the bar would have to be so...

I think that if it felt like it made a different users would feel more inclined to vote things to the homepage. We could also keep the regular method of homepaging, just adding the threshold. I certainly wouldn't want a low threshold like that.

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are 0Reply

Just in case you hadn't read this - look in the about section:

The home page showcases the best posts on the site. A new post appears on the home page every few minutes.
It's not a simple case of picking posts with the highest score to be on the home page; a post can be something that people disagree with while still being interesting. That's why we invented the 'home page button': . When you're logged in, you'll see this icon on posts that are not already on the home page. With this you can vote for a post to be on the home page. But choose wisely because you only get home page votes per day. When a post reaches a certain number of home page votes, it will appear on the home page.
Moderators are also always on the look out for posts to be on the home page that are thought-provoking, interesting, or just plain funny. The more home page votes a post have, the quicker a moderator will see it!

Read more at http://www.amirite.com/help#ICEUmCYvC70cMApD.99

How do you know that mods chose posts to be home paged? I asked and they said its recently been changed- they said its based on an algorithm of the posts score, the number of views, and the general interaction with the post as well as what type of post it is

@Universe How do you know that mods chose posts to be home paged? I asked and they said its recently been changed- they said...

As I understand it, what I said is the case.

If what you're saying is true I don't see that as optimal either. It's a far cry from it, really.
I'd much prefer a system wherein mods homepage posts and people can vote to homepage posts, homepage votes will hopefully affect how mods feel about home paging something and after a certain amount of homepage votes they will be automatically home paged.

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are 0Reply

We can homepage posts by voting for a post to be home paged... Obviously there need to be a certain amount of votes otherwise anyone could just vote for their post to be home paged. Also I don't really see the big deal here- obviously ure going to be biased towards ure own posts but I've likes many of the posts on the homepage

@Universe We can homepage posts by voting for a post to be home paged... Obviously there need to be a certain amount of votes...

You can't even vote for your own posts to be homepaged. If you're saying others would use other accounts to vote their own posts to the homepage they already can do that and if those votes really make a difference then we already have that issues so this wouldn't really make it any worse. Or perhaps it would make it more obvious when people are doing it and then we could simply see who's been voting who's posts to the homepage and deal with the situation.

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Len You can't even vote for your own posts to be homepaged. If you're saying others would use other accounts to vote...

I personally think the current system is fine - adding an extra section would be too complicated. I hate reddit's system which is what you are half describing because it makes it impossible to be homepaged. Having mods chose and users chose too makes things fairer

@I personally think the current system is fine - adding an extra section would be too complicated. I hate reddit's...

Out of curiosity, why are you anonymous? It's always been irksome when people are anonymous especially since I'm paranoid about everything.

Anywhoo, more to the point, I really have no idea how reddit works but with the system I'm suggesting it'll be perfectly fine assuming mods aren't lazy about homepaging and users take action. Hell, it'd probably be a lot better for the site even if there was less post on the homepage. All these bland, "What's your favourite food?!"-like questions shouldn't be homepaged just because they get a lot of views or something like that.

A new section wouldn't make anything more complicated. We got the active page and that's essentially the same thing, another option on the dropdown menu, who cares?

Yes, it'd be a bit complex to code and what not but I'm not really assuming you're talking about that. If you are, that should be fine. If people want this sort of thing they should work to make it a reality.

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are +1Reply

It sounds like you want to take over the running if the site.

@Universe It sounds like you want to take over the running if the site.

If you say so, that's not what I'd like though.
What I'm trying to say is that I want our site to be more like a democracy and less like a dictatorship. My vote would mean just as much/little as anyone else's vote.

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Len If you say so, that's not what I'd like though. What I'm trying to say is that I want our site to be more like a...

If you want certain posts on the homepage we can already vote for them to be on it- it's not just mods that choose - its based on how many homepage votes a post gets- I asked. When a post gets deleted on reedit I don't see everyone calling the mods dictators.

@Universe If you want certain posts on the homepage we can already vote for them to be on it- it's not just mods that choose...

As I understand it they ultimately decide if they're put on the homepage or not, even if a post has 10000 homepage votes it may not be homepaged because a mod decides they don't want to homepage it. We have some input, yes, but not enough.
Very few people vote to homepage things anyway, this would encourage people to do it more often and would give us more of what we want. There's really no downside.

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are +1Reply