+60

“If you are a Christian you do not have to believe that all the other religions are simply wrong all through. If you are an atheist you do have to believe that the main point in all the religions of the whole world is simply one huge mistake.” - C.S. Lewis

Fanatics avatar Religion
2 17

How exactly can you believe other religions aren't wrong if you are a Christian? Being right is based around those who disagree being wrong.

@Mike_Hawk How exactly can you believe other religions aren't wrong if you are a Christian? Being right is based around those...

You can see some truths in other religions without believing that it is the one truth. Like I think there is a lot of truth in Buddhism, but I don't think it's the one truth.

@Fanatic You can see some truths in other religions without believing that it is the one truth. Like I think there is a lot...

You can be an atheist and still admire parts of other religions. I could think there's some truth in Buddhism or Christianity. For example, I could adhere my moral code to the Christian one but not find the other parts true.

I'd like to agree with this but you need to help me out here because I am ignorant of this: what is "the main point of all the religions of the whole world"?

@VicZinc I'd like to agree with this but you need to help me out here because I am ignorant of this: what is "the main point...

The idea of having a religion. The whole concept in believing in something that you can't see and in a religion

@Fanatic The idea of having a religion. The whole concept in believing in something that you can't see and in a religion

Still don't get it. There are hundreds of religions, not sure what the "main point of all of them" is. Are you saying it is faith based knowledge?

@VicZinc Still don't get it. There are hundreds of religions, not sure what the "main point of all of them" is. Are you...

No. I'm saying that, to have come to the conclusion that you are an atheist, you would've had to have ruled out the possibility of all other religions. If you rule them out, then what's the point of them?

@Fanatic No. I'm saying that, to have come to the conclusion that you are an atheist, you would've had to have ruled out the...

OK it is worded oddly I guess, but if that's what it means then... I guess I am not a true atheist because I only do not believe in god the creator. I do believe in the spirits and principles of many tribal religions. So how do I vote?

@VicZinc OK it is worded oddly I guess, but if that's what it means then... I guess I am not a true atheist because I only...

Well atheism is the absence of any religion. But there's a difference between following a religion and following a few points in it. You can vote any way you want to:)

How is religion a mistake? o.e

I love C.S. Lewis. He was originally an atheist and set out to prove God did not exist. He ended up turning his life over to God. His writings are incredible.

@freespeechfreelancer I love C.S. Lewis. He was originally an atheist and set out to prove God did not exist. He ended up turning his...

They really are. I feel like he's one of those few people who just gets everything there is to get about Christianity

@Fanatic They really are. I feel like he's one of those few people who just gets everything there is to get about Christianity

When I was a school teacher, I would read at least 2 books each year to my students from the Chronicles of Narnia. The kids just ate those books up. I had one class that by the end of the school year, every child had talked their parents in to buying them the full set! That was a very cool experience.