0

Let's is a contraction meaning let us. But "Let's go!" and "Let us go!" mean two very different things. Amirite?

The_Allie_katts avatar
2 4
The votes are tied on The_Allie_katt being right or wrong. Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree to break the tie!

But at the same time you can still say, "let us go!" and still mean "let's go!" I imagine a commander who just got through giving his troops an encouraging speech and finishing it by saying, "let us go! We shall conquer them all!"

@StickCaveman But at the same time you can still say, "let us go!" and still mean "let's go!" I imagine a commander who just got...

I imagined a little kid saying "please please please please please let us go to the park."

Though saying "let us" as a wish (let's) is different than saying "let us" (let us) as a direct command.

They used to (and perhaps still do) say something like this at the end of Catholic masses when I was a boy. "Let us go in peace, to love and serve the lord, amen".

"Let's go" means: prepare to charge forward. "Let us go" means: please release us from our bondage. Works for the church thing. The go to the park thing. The commander thing? Well...what is he a Brit?