+10

It'd be interesting if, instead of the Government collecting taxes, they asked the citizens to donate money every time they wanted to do something that would otherwise be funded by taxes; similar to a Kick-starter thing.

Mike_Hawks avatar Life
0 6

Sure.
In socialism the problem is nobody wants to give up their time.
In capitalism the problem is nobody wants to give up their money.

@VicZinc Sure. In socialism the problem is nobody wants to give up their time. In capitalism the problem is nobody wants...

They'd have to. I think people would start paying once they realized how much taxes payed for.

Interesting in a Kafkaesque-nightmarish kinda way. It would be PBS telethons everywhere... 24x7.

@PhilboydStudge Interesting in a Kafkaesque-nightmarish kinda way. It would be PBS telethons everywhere... 24x7.

I believe it'd be just what we need. People are so out of touch with the running of the country, when they should be the ones in charge. It's not forcing people to participate, but it's showing them the downsides of not participating. If people have to actually go out and spend the money, they are more likely to look into what the money is spent on. They can opt out of funding programs they disagree with, and fund programs they do agree with. The Government would have to start projects that the public agrees with in order to get funding.

@Mike_Hawk I believe it'd be just what we need. People are so out of touch with the running of the country, when they should...

I see where you're coming from now. I wholeheartedly agree. There is a huge disconnect between government spending and the revenue (taxes) required to pay for that spending. We need to do something to make people more aware of the the country's fiscal problems.

Good points. Put COMPETITION and REALITY back in to the whole equation. Make the government compete WITH us instead of demanding that we be subservient to them.