+13

If controlling people and limiting their rights and freedoms WORKED, then prisons would be the safest most desirable places to live. Amirite?

freespeechfreelancers avatar Politics
2 3
The voters have decided that freespeechfreelancer is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Let me preface any comments by saying, I personally know several guys who have done hard time in the prison system. They ALL say without exception that you can get anything you want in prison - drugs, guns, or anything else that is forbidden or banned. It is all about who you know and what you will do in exchange for what you want. If our authorities can't stop the rapes, gang and racial issues, violence, murders, etc. in the prison system, why would any rational intelligent human being think for a moment that they can fix or control everything in an open society?

@freespeechfreelancer Let me preface any comments by saying, I personally know several guys who have done hard time in the prison system...

I think that even though the government claims that prison is also for rehabilitation, its main purpose is to keep dangerous people off the streets. Even if there was a genuine effort to stop rapes, gang, and racial issues, you can't control people's minds, so all you can do is pull people committing such crimes out of society.

@rilara I think that even though the government claims that prison is also for rehabilitation, its main purpose is to keep...

The point is, our society is full of them and instead of actually going after THEM, the authorities are going after all of US. The old adage of punishing the masses for the failures of a few simply does NOT work and is not the solution.