+105

People who think terrorism in America is a "new problem" seem to forget that the American revolution was won using terrorist tactics, and that since 1850's (the Know Nothings) domestic groups have consistently committed acts of terror including bombings and arson by: KKK, Sovereign Citizens, Black Panthers, Weather Underground, Animal Liberation Front, Army of God, Earth Liberation Front, Symbionese Liberation Army, Jewish Defense League, Phineas Priesthood and about 100 other Wing-nut American groups. Current hyperfocus on jihadism is perpetuated by both wing-nuts and ditto-heads to hide their own agendas. With the exception of 9/11, terror committed in the US by non-citizens is practically non-existent. The US has dealt with white-supremacists, black revolutionist, religious radicals, environmental extremists, anarchists, right-wing radicals, left-wing radicals, and a host of other home-grown nutbags. It will never stop, and branding terrorism "Islamic" is just naive.

VicZincs avatar Life
9 38

Branding terrorism itself "Islamic" is wrong, yes. But Islamic terrorism is a thing. It's just one of the many, many different kinds of terrorism.

People seem to forget that America's government leaders are the true terrorists, and people need to stop believing everything the media tells them. I'm not saying that Muslims aren't terrorists, but people seem to associate the word terrorist with Muslims. I would go into a whole article about how I believe that our own government started 9/11, and how Osama Bin Laden wasn't at all a terrorist but was actually helping Africa, but I don't feel much in the mood to get into a full-blown hot-heated debate.

@fuzala all of it

Ok, hold on. I'm eating dinner right now.

@BlindMist Ok, hold on. I'm eating dinner right now.

Alright

you may describe your dinner to me as well yum smilie

@fuzala Alright you may describe your dinner to me as well

My dad made dinner because my mom's asthma is acting up. Some kind of chicken that I can't really explain but tasted good enough, and some rice.

I'm writing the message now, but don't be surprised if it takes me over an hour.

@BlindMist My dad made dinner because my mom's asthma is acting up. Some kind of chicken that I can't really explain but...

I won't be surprised

this kinda thing takes a while to put together

oh YUMMY
I hope your mom feels better
tell your mom Mahfuza said so if you want hehe smilie

I would like to focus on the type of terrorism that aims to affect us politically/socially by indiscriminately killing multiple civilians. My comments below do not apply to poisonous letters, property damage, etc...

To mitigate terrorism, we need to understand why people do it. Undoubtedly there are many reasons. The only criteria we should use when deciding how to categorize terrorists is accuracy. If it turns out that middle-aged white atheists is a common thread, then so be it. The only thing I'm interested in is mitigating terrorism in this country.

Having said all that, from where I'm sitting, it appears religious fundamentalism is the leading cause of terrorism in this country today. Moreover, it seems the fundamentalists of Islam are the largest group. I base this on what I see and read in the news media... and I intentionally get my news from multiple outlets (because of trust issues). I have no reason to believe a study published on the internet is any more accurate than any of my sources. Like you said, people sometimes hide their agendas.

@PhilboydStudge I would like to focus on the type of terrorism that aims to affect us politically/socially by indiscriminately...

Well if "indiscrimination" is your criteria OK. Most domestic terror is aimed at specific groups. Animal processors/fur traders/fishers, abortionist/their clients, industrial processors, federal employees, etc. So if you are only concerned about "random" targets I do not have the data but I personally do not make the distinction

The best way to combat terrorism is to stop participating in it.
The US is by far the largest and most active terrorist group on the planet.

My only observation and comment is that when IT IS Islamic terrorism, it needs to be out in the open and spelled out clearly without all the hiding and cover up tactics being used today. If the act of terrorism is committed by a white, redneck, gun toting, pill popping "Christian," our media makes certain that we get a full dose of how crazy and looney that person actually was and is. And the stigma is always associated with "Christian." To be honest and "fair" - this needs to be acknowledged and called what it is. I am not saying that ALL acts of terrorism are by Muslim people or radical Islamic practitioners. But, such DOES exist, and is as real a threat and danger to our country as any other. To deny this or say otherwise is showing an unwillingness to look at the whole picture.

@freespeechfreelancer My only observation and comment is that when IT IS Islamic terrorism, it needs to be out in the open and spelled...

I notice the exact opposite. People are very quick to blame Islam for all the terrorism that goes on, while any other kind of terrorism is downplayed.

That may just be in the region I live, but that's what I see.

I agree with brunetterox, and think that terrorism, regardless of what ideology it is based in, is fundamentally driven by the same things, and takes a fundamentally similar form.

The word 'terrorism' is also entirely subjective - demonstrated by the lovely old adage "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter." In the eyes of the State, even Robin Hood was a terrorist. Just another reason everyone's desperation to identify, classify and eliminate terrorism is inevitably going to reveal itself to be a fruitless endeavour

For the record, the Revolution did use terrorist tactics, but it primarily won by militia and the French. Plus the Sons of Liberty terrorist party was not popular and wasn't something you wanted to advertise

@comedic_philosopher For the record, the Revolution did use terrorist tactics, but it primarily won by militia and the French. Plus the...

So if a large number of Americans rose up and decided to take their government and country back using any means possible (even force), they would be considered by the rest of the country and the government as terrorists - right?

@comedic_philosopher Unless they had things like generals and lieutenants and different divisions of armies

but what does that mean? Al Qaeda has a command structure, and yet is still dubbed a terrorist organization

Two things puzzle and/or annoy me when reading through the post and comments. First of all, I agree with the OP, but what always annoyed me the most about the post-9/11 america is the way they all acted like they were the first country to be attacked by terrorists, and we should all be sympathetic and support them in their time of need. This was particularly hurtful to the british people, who had been suffering at the hands of irish terrorists since the 1970s, to which americans were wholly indifferent and even supportive in some cases, openly backing the IRA.

Another thing that gets my goat in the comments is the way so many people seem blissfully unaware as to the utter meaninglessness of the term "terrorism" as a whole. it's an entirely subjective matter. the people america calls terrorists themselves call america terrorists. and both are right when looking from their own POV. terrorist/rebel/rogue/freedom fighter/revolutionary/reformer/activist --- these can all be the same person!

Take Liu Xiaobo - Chinese dissident, thinker, intellectual, winner of the Nobel Peace Prize
IN China, he's dubbed a subversive terrorist who has done the opposite of work for peace and rights.

When examined closely, there is actually a case on both sides - so who in the hell is actually right? Is Liu Xiaobo a terrorist or freedom fighter? Of course it entirely depends on your individual perspective. So what the hell do we bother debating about terrorism for?

The American Revolution was won with guerrilla tactics and not terrorism. You have to recognize the difference.

Guerrilla warfare targets military personnel, while terrorism specifically targets random civilians in order to create terror in the general populace.

No one quibbles with the media when there's an attack on military people and they call it "terrorism" and not "guerrilla warfare." Someone ought to!

perdixs avatar perdix Disagree 0Reply
@perdix The American Revolution was won with guerrilla tactics and not terrorism. You have to recognize the...

Thing is, it's all about perspective. It's a bit overused, but the saying "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" is quite true. The British called the Irish Republican Army "terrorists" (and indeed I still do), whereas others called them freedom fighters and even openly supported and funded them. What America has done in the middle east and other countries has also been branded as terrorism by some. One has to understand that these terms are meaningless when you look at them objectively.

@2380566

And others would argue it is most evident in those who can't see it as a manifestation of human imagination.

it is true that all terrorists are not muslim, nor are all muslims terrorists.

However, most of the terrorists are muslim. No one can deny that.

Also, a majority of these terrorists feel what they are doing is "Jehad" or Religious Battle. They are encouraged to do so in the name of Allah and to secure Islam.

The head terrorists teach the new recruits that in countries like India, US etc., Islam is in "danger".

Dear muslims, you need to accept that many of your brethren have chosen the wrong path. You should try to prevent your youth and chidren from becoming puppets in the hands of major terrorists like Osama and others.

I agree that discrimination against muslims on the basis that some muslims are terrorists is not right, but you should also try your best not to defame your religion. Islam is pure, like other religions, but some rascals have defamed it.

I am not a muslim. I am a Hindu and I consider all religions as equal.

@1920267

This is also dependent on definitions.

First, this post is about the USA, the article is world wide.

Second, If you want to talk worldwide, the article discounts the violence in Africa (169,000 murders last year) which far outweighs those in the middle-east. This article reports only 1,600 deaths in Africa, specifically those related to Islam. I conclude that the authors do not consider African conflicts to be "terrorist" in nature unless they are committed by Islamic peoples. To me that seems biased. To hand pick 10% of the casualties to prove a point is exactly what my post is railing against.

@fuzala that graph supports this post

graphs are crap...

the truth is that MOST of the terrorists are muslims.

Now, I do not hate muslims. I have several muslim friends. But truth is truth.

Also, if some muslims are terrorists, WHY DOES IT HURT YOU?

That does not make you a terrorist. Why do you feel hurt?

@gaurav24anand graphs are crap... the truth is that MOST of the terrorists are muslims. Now, I do not hate muslims. I have...

how do you know it's crap?

and how do you know that most terrorists are so?

Also,
you're not providing support for your claims

a good portion of that comment consists of asking why I'm hurt merely for posting a graph

@fuzala how do you know it's crap? and how do you know that most terrorists are so? Also, you're not providing support...

no idea where this guy/girl gets off anonymously posting garbage, supported by capitalisation of certain words to "strengthen" his/her claim. ludicrous

Sorry, but you're being totally ridiculous. You made a totally unsubstantiated claim, and then were countered by Fuzala who gave you some actual evidence to support an opposing notion. You respond by saying "graphs are crap" and push further your unsubstantiated nonsense, but just capitalise some of the words.

Where do you get off making claims like that? You have NO evidence whatsoever to back yourself up. NONE, ZERO, ZILCH, NADA, ZIP. Could you perhaps venture a piece of evidence that supports your speculation even a little?

@1919998

well, i said graphs are crap because they are based on crap data. No one ever verifies this data so anyone can create any graph using Microsoft Excel or other software

And,

after most of the blasts or terrorist attacks, some muslim terrorist organisation takes " CREDIT " for it. That's why, I said most of the terrorists are muslims.

I am not saying that all muslims are terrorists.