+13

No matter how hard they try or wish for it, some children are NOT capable of making straight A's in school. Amirite?

freespeechfreelancers avatar
0 14
The voters have decided that freespeechfreelancer is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

When I taught elementary children for 7 years, it used to break my heart to pieces to see students try SO hard and yet never make an A on anything. And of course, most every parent wanted and even expected their child to make those A's. And then I had students who made straight A's effortlessly, and I almost could not believe it.

That's why I despise America's grading system.
If an A means that you scored well above average, and a C means we scored averagely, then why shouldn't we praise the C student for meeting the standard?
We are expected to perform at an above average level, which makes it the "average". It doesn't make any sense to me, and I wish they'd mimic other, more highly educated, countries' systems.

Even though I taught for 7 years, I saw a huge breakdown in what is going on. And I do know that we are falling far behind other countries in our educational attempts. The system is broken (like so many things are in America) and MONEY alone is not the solution. Sad to say however, that is our answer for everything these days. It really seems like we have grown accustomed to and accepting mediocrity or failure in society. Anyone who wants or tries to fix something is branded as a nutjob and spoken down to. It is ridiculous.

everyone has different capabilities. Not all children can do well in studies, or at least not in the current education system.

Getting a 'C' doesn't make a student bad or incapable.

Even Albert einstein was a 'weak' student in his school days.
However, everyone knows what he turned out to be!!!!!

Therefore, students should not be judged on the basis of grades..

gaurav24anands avatar gaurav24anand Yeah You Are 0Reply
@gaurav24anand everyone has different capabilities. Not all children can do well in studies, or at least not in the current...

Thomas Edison was a horrible student. Don't know if you know the story behind his deafness, but part of it was being "boxed" in the ears by a train conductor when one of his experiments blew up in the train's boxcar! Teachers back in the early school days would actually "box" or clap the sides of misbehaving student's ears, and could easily damage ear drums or cause deafness.
I learned as a teacher, that small children all have a desire to learn. But not every child learns exactly the same way, and when you have 1 teacher trying to handle 25-35 students who all learn in various ways, the task is beyond difficult.

@freespeechfreelancer Thomas Edison was a horrible student. Don't know if you know the story behind his deafness, but part of it was...

that's true. handling 25-35 students and trying to make them all get an 'A' grade is a mammoth task.

Edison was "boxed" in the ears... HORRIBLE!!!!!

@gaurav24anand that's true. handling 25-35 students and trying to make them all get an 'A' grade is a mammoth task. Edison was...

WOW - I actually found a topic that Google is not up on! OMG. I have been searching for the past 10 mins. to find a quick link to boxing of the ears or ear boxing, and only boxing comes up. I found one little obscure reference. Wikipedia doesn't even have it. It is covered in Thomas Edison's bio in Wiki. Google has dropped the ball. I read a lot about this when I was a teacher.

Very horrible. Parents did it too. It was very common for quite a period. They finally realized what it was doing and stopped it.

@freespeechfreelancer Very horrible. Parents did it too. It was very common for quite a period. They finally realized what it was doing...

When i was in primary school, my language teacher had BOXED me once for being unable to recite a HORRIBLY LONG poem. It didn't make me deaf but it did cause severe pain for many days apart from some hearing problems.

My parents complained against this and she was warned (by the school) that if she did that again, she might be fired.

Many people don't believe this but I still think female teachers are more aggressive towards young children

@gaurav24anand When i was in primary school, my language teacher had BOXED me once for being unable to recite a HORRIBLY LONG...

I have heard some awful horror stories. I must shut down for the night. Getting off work now. Keep me in mind and thanks for the good discussion.

@1920932

If I am "hearing" you correctly, it sounds like you are saying that the push to make everyone EQUAL isn't really all that great or what it is cracked up to be. Is that in the ball park? If so, I can understand. Not everyone IS or ever WILL BE equal - on practically every level of life. No 2 people are identical and everyone learns and progresses at different rates and levels. Schools now are pushing to make everyone "feel" equal and the same, but when it comes to production and striving for excellence, there must be a system in place that can determine who really is the "better" person. If you remove the element of COMPETITION from a society, school, work place, etc. then everyone will only strive to reach the LOWEST common denominator. When incentive is gone, the need to try or become better is meaningless.

My (somewhat controversial) opinion: Everyone with a reasonable IQ has to the ability to learn and improve when it comes to education. I understand that some children are just naturally smarter than others and don't have to study as much to make good grades, but I personally believe that EVERYONE (within reason of course, some mentally handicapped students simply cannot) has the opportunity to do well in school. They may have to try harder than their peers who are just naturally more intelligent, but when it comes to grades, you have to try.

Personal example: A girl in my grade was a C/D student as a freshman simply because she didn't exert the effort required to have a high GPA. Now she's a straight A student because her whole life changed when she finally realized the importance of grades. (I'm pretty liberal in most aspects, but compromising on the importance of an education is something I will not do. I was raised to believe that grades are extremely important.)

It is like any other issue - there are so many variables. I taught 3rd grade for 5 years, 4th grade for 1 yr., and 5th grade for 1 yr. Without question or exception, the 3rd graders were the hardest working age group, best attitude, and extremely eager to learn and please. The school was private and was the extension of a church. The emphasis was purely on learning. The setting was almost like a military school and the style of education was considered traditional (much like how children were educated in the early years of our country). Students were not allowed to speak out openly, hands had to be raised to talk, they used manners addressing any adult, they had to stand beside their desk to speak, no talking during lunch, and homework in at least 3 subjects every single night. There were weekly quizzes and tests and a new concept was taught in every subject every day.
What I observed being a teacher was that those students who were naturally bright and who came from a strong traditional home, did extremely well in this environment. Students who only had one parent or parents who sent their child to this school to "fix" them or their problems, did not do so well. In elementary, the building blocks are being laid for the upper grades. If a student does not get those earlier blocks down well, then it will hinder them from that point on.
I had a few students over the years who were on Ritalin, and they never performed at the level of any of the straight A students. But most every parent I ever dealt with wanted and expected their child to make those
A's. I would have students literally cry and become emotional messes knowing that they did not do well on a quiz or test, even though they tried hard. Parents would tell me how long their child would study and they would even help them, and some never made the A's. But I know for certain it was not from lack of desire or effort.