Suppose we drop 1. A 50 kg metal ball and 2. A 40 kg ball of silk from a height of 100 meters. which will reach the ground first ?

Kiras avatar Quizzes, Brainteasers & Riddles
0 6

Well, there are variables. Are we in a vacuum or no? If not, the ball of silk will undoubtedly be massive compared to the metal ball and have much more drag, resulting in a slower terminal velocity. There's also the consideration that even if we are in a vacuum, the added circumference of the silk ball will allow it to touch the ground first, even if the centers of the balls are lined up perfectly.

Kira, since you're a mod, let me tell you that this is a bad direction for Amirite. If people wanted brainteasers and quiz questions, they'd Google them or go to school.

People come here for the opinions of others. At least, that's what I do (and if I'm not mistaken, it was the original purpose of the site).

Nevertheless, they'll hit the ground at the same time.

Newtons law of physics state they'll both hit the bottom at the same time if dropped from the same height.

@iEmily Newtons law of physics state they'll both hit the bottom at the same time if dropped from the same height.

In a vacuum. Drop a sheet of paper and a ball of paper at the same time and see if they fall at the same speed.