+49

It's weird that people call what happens outside of the cyber world as "real life." For example, "I know this person in real life". The people you know over the Internet are still known by you in real life since you still do know them in reality. It's not fantasy dream world. Amirite?

fuzalas avatar
4 21
The voters have decided that fuzala is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

for example

I know someone who lives close to my house from Amirite
but I've never met her face to face

I still know her in real life though even though it's on the Internet
I even discovered that we even went to rival high schools

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are +2Reply

Interesting indeed. May I ask when you discovered this? Also does this mean RL is not a fantasy dream world?

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are -1Reply
@VicZinc Interesting indeed. May I ask when you discovered this? Also does this mean RL is not a fantasy dream world?

discovered what?

I guess there are fantasy aspects to both the cyber world and the physical one

what I'm saying is that the cyber one is as real and part of reality as the physical world

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are -1Reply
@fuzala discovered what? I guess there are fantasy aspects to both the cyber world and the physical one what I'm saying...

^ that. Or did you always feel that cyber=real? I am not sure I do but you are usually right about these things so I was wondering when you determined them be the same and wondering if reality and fantasy are different.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are 0Reply
@VicZinc ^ that. Or did you always feel that cyber=real? I am not sure I do but you are usually right about these things...

I used to also say things like
in real life
blah blah blah
so I didn't always think this was "real life"

I think I realized it when someone on here commented that they had less "real" friends than Internet friends

which made me think
"what do you mean real friends? are the friends on the Internet not your real friends too ?"

in some way
I think of reality as objective
and fantasy as subjective

and since we see things subjectively
that's where I get the fantasy aspects in reality

@fuzala I used to also say things like in real life blah blah blah so I didn't always think this was "real life" I think...

I remember a post you made about cyber friends. See my other comment re: anon/roles we play.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are -2Reply
@VicZinc I remember a post you made about cyber friends. See my other comment re: anon/roles we play.

hmm

I never made a post about cyber friends

not that I remember anyways

@VicZinc http://www.amirite.com/743042-t...utiful-amirite

BAAW

how could I forget?

I usually remember things like this

@fuzala BAAW how could I forget? I usually remember things like this

So anyways. Please say more about subjective/objective real/fantasy because I am not there yet with "this is not fantasy."

@VicZinc o..k...isn't that what this post is about?

OKAY I GOT IT

fantasies are made up images and they're subjective
reality is what really happens and can be objective

for example,
say 3 people are standing on a hill

and me and someone else (we're asked how many people are on the hill)

we'd both, most likely, give the simple answer that there are 3 people on the hill
that is reality

but if you ask us to describe the people
that would be subjective
it would be fantasy in that we describe the people based on our own made up perspectives and images we gathered from past experiences

@fuzala OKAY I GOT IT fantasies are made up images and they're subjective reality is what really happens and can be...

That makes sense. So both RL and CW are part real/part fantasy? Did I get that right?

@VicZinc That makes sense. So both RL and CW are part real/part fantasy? Did I get that right?

I don't see it as real life and cyber world
I see it as the geographical/physical? world and the cyber world
and that they're both real life

by themselves
they are reality

but how we perceive them has some fantasy aspects

thus, the are not fantasy worlds
they are real worlds with fantasy aspects

@fuzala I don't see it as real life and cyber world I see it as the geographical/physical? world and the cyber world and...

For the record - I am a fantasy aspect. I do not exist as I am perceived online or in person.

@VicZinc For the record - I am a fantasy aspect. I do not exist as I am perceived online or in person.

does this have to do with that one school of thought that says you don't know
you only think?

also
why do you see real life and the cyber world as separate?

if you see both as fantasy worlds

would both not be real life
but fantasy life?

@fuzala does this have to do with that one school of thought that says you don't know you only think? also why do you see...

Yes, that, plus:

1) High uninhibited online
2) No clue if others are even the same species they pretend to be online. (for all I know you are a 45 years old white, redneck truck driver from Saskatoon - and I could be a precocious 13 year old schoolgirl)
3) in my mind - never the twain shall meet.
4) I honestly don't know what real-world means so how could I say x=RL if I don't know what RL is?

@fuzala I get it you'll still say it is real life for the purpose of conversation

Backed into a corner again. OK I concede that I cannot have it both ways, and that if not now, very soon, there will be no difference between the two.

I will change my vote back.

But my post still stands for now. They are (for now) oil and water and should not mix. Or better yet, potassium and water - mixing them is downright foolhardy.

@VicZinc Backed into a corner again. OK I concede that I cannot have it both ways, and that if not now, very soon, there...

I do make a distinction between the physical world and the cyber one

it's just that I think they're both reality

I think it is too bold in many cases to mix the two

many times dangerous especially for younger people who easily give up information about themselves

I heard enough stories of teens getting stalked and assaulted and murdered

I never seen that happen in the cyber world with old people

but there are cases where people are able to smartly mix the two by taking many precautions

and there's also Craig's list
where people have to meet in order to exchange the stuff
because getting ripped off is easier when sending things through the mail
one will send the product and the person will never send a check
or a valid one at that

the exchange should be done in a public place
but there's always the chance that someone will follow you home

then again
I also know that the physical world is dangerous
and a classmate or co-worker could follow you home too and cause destruction

it's knowing when to draw the line

but I personally would not take that risk after all those Law and Order: SVU episodes

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are 0Reply