+19

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will hurt even worse holy shit please don't say mean things to me

Books
1 5

I really do think that words hurt us. If a group of people constantly tell someone that they're ugly and stupid, then that person will probably have low self-esteem, low self-respect, and not much confidence.

@BlindMist I really do think that words hurt us. If a group of people constantly tell someone that they're ugly and stupid...

It depends on how the person takes it. If you let a bully's words get to you, then the bully wins and they'll never stop. But if you stand up for yourself, outsmart the bully, show them they're not worth your time or stand up for yourself, you will defeat the bully.

@StickCaveman It depends on how the person takes it. If you let a bully's words get to you, then the bully wins and they'll never...

Yeah, I know. But, people can take what other people say to heart and start developing, or fuel insecurities. What some people don't realize is that most people bully because they feel insecure themselves.

Personally, I've never been bullied, but I don't know if that's because the last public school I was in was elementary, or I just wasn't that vulnerable to bullying (which I don't believe).

Actually, the only people I think called me out my name was my siblings. We used to name-call all the time, sometimes in a mean way, sometimes joking. I used to try to ignore them knowing that if I cried, they would just keep doing it, but most of the time my ignoring didn't work.

By the way, they used to call me rice head. I actually recently made a poem about it. It's kind of a stupid nickname to cry over, but I didn't know that when I was 8! Anyway, I guess it depends on the person. Some people have the courage to stand up to their bullies and some people don't. Some cry, and some fight, and some become the bully.

Oh my, I'm sleepy and it's almost midnight. This is my 4th long passage tonight...There's the poem for any curious souls.

"One rice head in the playroom," my siblings teased me
"One rice head in the playroom!" they screamed, filled with glee
"One rice head in the playroom!" "Stop!" I had to plea
"Reading her stupid book!" Oh, how I wished to be free

"You a rice head," they would chide
"I know you are but what am I?" I would cry
"A rice head," they would reply
"I know you are but what am I?" I would again try

"Shutup!" they would shout
"Shut don't go up prices do..." I would pout
"Rices do! Ahahahahah!" they would spout
"So take your advice and shutup too!" I would spit out.

I agree. However, sometimes a bully strikes a nerve with something you're already self conscious about. For example: once an ex of mine told me that I should eat a whole bunch but do a bunch of sit ups so I could be booty-liscious instead of just tiny. I'd never expressed my insecurity about being so stick shaped with him and I didn't let him know it got to me (I'm not sure if he would have kept using it to hurt me if I had, but I don't think he would of.) But applying this to bullies, sometimes they strike a nerve about something you're already insecure about and it gets to you- cuz now you can't just justify it as an irrational fear or insecurity and that it doesn't really matter, you start to think "fuck. Other people think so too..."

CAN WE PLEASE NOT TURN EVERYTHING INTO A DEEP DISCUSSION I WAS MAKING A JOKE JUST LAUGH AND MOVE ON JESUS CHRISTMAS