+9

The saying "more than one way to skin a cat" must have originated to address the issue of cats having 9 lives. Amirite?

freespeechfreelancers avatar Jokes & Humour
0 11
The voters have decided that freespeechfreelancer is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I had a friend who said "there's more than one way to swing a cat." I loved it, so that's what I say now.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are 0Reply
@VicZinc I had a friend who said "there's more than one way to swing a cat." I loved it, so that's what I say now.

I've heard of the expression "not enough room to swing a cat", which makes me think your friend has combined the two sayings.

Whenever people say that there's "not enough room to swing a cat", I say "That's rubbish." If you're not concerned about the cat's well-being, you can swing it anywhere you like. Furthermore, if you're the sort of person who picks up cats and swings them, I don't think you'd have any moral objections in partaking in cat swinging within confined spaces.

Crumpet_noses avatar Crumpet_nose Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Crumpet_nose I've heard of the expression "not enough room to swing a cat", which makes me think your friend has combined the...

Hey thanks. I just researched the idiom, and it has quite a history. Cats at one time were skinned, and there was debate over whether they had been skinned while still alive or after dead. There are other variations of the phrase I used (such as yours) and swinging the cat has 2 origins - one referring to hanging a cat by noose, or using the old whip "cat-o-nine-tails". Some very interesting stuff.
I just love idioms and use them quite often in my own speech. It is fun to play with them and see them from different angles. I actually learned some new things today.

Good one! Never heard that before. The whole expression never made much sense to me anyway.

@freespeechfreelancer Good one! Never heard that before. The whole expression never made much sense to me anyway.

I always assumed that it referred not to house cats but to polecats or other game "cats" as part of the fur trade.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +2Reply
@VicZinc I always assumed that it referred not to house cats but to polecats or other game "cats" as part of the fur trade.

Interesting - I never researched the phrase, but that sounds fairly fitting. I just never knew of people in to cat skinning. And then more than one way - turns it in to an art form!