+7

IF you only don't do certain things because you were taught they were wrong, then you are probably not doing them for all the wrong reasons. Amirite?

freespeechfreelancers avatar Life
0 6
The voters have decided that freespeechfreelancer is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

You might want to read this a couple of times before responding. Think of when people ask you why you don't do such and such, and your reply is "I can't." They ask why. You say, "I am not allowed to." When you are younger this works. But then as you get much older, you have to decide for yourself. The "because I was taught or dad and mom told me not to" just doesn't carry the same weight.

It reminds me of the management technique. Don't just tell your employees what to do (not to do) tell them why to do (or not to do). When they get the why they buy into the how.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are 0Reply
@VicZinc It reminds me of the management technique. Don't just tell your employees what to do (not to do) tell them why to...

Definitely. I am a "show me" kind of person, and need to be shown. Once shown, I get it.

What do you mean by "taught they were wrong?"

Taught how? By actually explaining why, or just by repeatedly being told "it's wrong"? It seems you're trying to imply the latter, and I agree with the post if you are, but I just want to be sure.

@Watchful_questioneer What do you mean by "taught they were wrong?" Taught how? By actually explaining why, or just by repeatedly being...

Yes, taught many things were wrong growing up and always the Bible used as the basis for such teaching and reasoning. I was taught that it was "wrong" for a guy to wear short pants in public. Therefore, I was never allowed to and believed it. At age 39, while going through my separation with first wife, I decided it was all nonsense, and I put on shorts and went outside. I honestly had a very strong reservation about doing so and believed something "bad" was going to happen to me as a result. Nothing did, and I wear shorts now more than I do long pants. I could cite many other examples and there are many children who are raised and trained in similar environments.