+16

Religious freedom has its limits. If you want to practice cannibalism because that is something from your religion, that is a a no-no. That is because your practice harms the people and infringes on their rights. On the other hand, if you want to grow a beard or count beads in public or don in religious clothing, you should be free to do so. Amirite?

fuzalas avatar Life
0 13
The voters have decided that fuzala is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

some may see this as a "NO DUH" kind of thing

but so-called democracies have passed policies to restrain the latter

and I heard someone argue "where is the limit on the freedom"?
while using an extreme example like the former example (cannibalism)

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are +2Reply

You also shouldn't force someone to act or do something a certain way because of your religion.

Anonwhales avatar Anonwhale Yeah You Are 0Reply
@fuzala agreed such as forcibly stopping someone from eating pork

Exactly.

Out of curiosity, what are your opinions on gay marriage? I know this is a subject brought up pretty often on this website, but I've never seen you say anything about it yet.

@fuzala I view it as forbidden what about you?

Well, we don't agree. Is it on a religious basis? Because you could argue that by banning it because of that, you're forcing people to follow a part of your religion that they don't necessarily agree with.

@Anonwhale Well, we don't agree. Is it on a religious basis? Because you could argue that by banning it because of that...

I view the consumption of pork and alcohol as forbidden too
but I don't go around snatching those things away from people

I mind my own business and don't care to force my view on anyone

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are 0Reply
@fuzala I view the consumption of pork and alcohol as forbidden too but I don't go around snatching those things away from...

I think that's really respectful of you and I have nothing to say about it.

actually, I came from a Muslim family and I still can't make myself like pork even if I don't think of myself as religious.

Wait a minute. You need a distinctive line if you are going to say this. What about eating already dead people. Some religions advocate placenta eating as well.

Sounds like you think human sacrifice is out but circumcision is ok?

Another reason to argue for atheism.

@VicZinc Wait a minute. You need a distinctive line if you are going to say this. What about eating already dead people...

WOAH WOAH WOAH

let me use a comparison

1. there are certain laws I don't agree with

2. laws have issues with distinctive lines

but I wouldn't say this was a reason to argue for anarchy

I agree. If you are suggesting the main criterion for acceptance should be whether it infringes on the rights of others, then I wholeheartedly agree with that too.

What if there was a religion whose only ritual was smoking pot and dancing in public? Would people be prepared to accept the practice of this religion, even though it does not infringe on the rights of anyone else (assuming you're not blowing second-hand smoke in the faces of non-believers)?

PhilboydStudges avatar PhilboydStudge Yeah You Are 0Reply
@PhilboydStudge I agree. If you are suggesting the main criterion for acceptance should be whether it infringes on the rights of...

well we'll have to respect their religion

they'd have to get permission to stop traffic and whatnot
and about the smoking part
http://www.amirite.com/757913-i...pise-the-smell