-5

Gun control isn't about taking away your right to protect yourself. It's about keeping my right to not need a gun to feel safe outside of my home.

leighlovesyous avatar Law
1 11

Safety is an illusion not a right. Defense on the other hand... When it all comes down to it, you are the only one responsible for defending yourself. It's not something that should be put into the hands of somebody else and doing so can be very bad for your health and well-being. What you're saying is that if another person's safety measures make you feel unsafe, they don't have a right to their own form of safety. By taking away guns, you're taking away the right for other people to defend themselves in a manner in which they see fit. So yes, gun control is about taking away your right to protect yourself. Saying, "but my right to safety!!!" doesn't make any sense at all.

@StickCaveman Safety is an illusion not a right. Defense on the other hand... When it all comes down to it, you are the only...

Guns are about government and not about criminals. Guns are the only way to keep government in check. Without guns we have no ability to cure despotism.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Disagree +1Reply
@VicZinc Guns are about government and not about criminals. Guns are the only way to keep government in check. Without...

Honestly, with their tanks and nukes and who knows what else, I'm not exactly sure guns will protect us from the government. I know the entire purpose of the second amendment was to keep the government in check, and I have nothing against guns don't get me wrong, but I kind of think either everyone should be able to own weapons more lethal on a mass scale than guns or no one should, including the government. And I'm OK with there being gun control- a gun registry list of people who own guns, a waiting period, a psych check, things that will try to help keep guns out of bad people's hands while people who have no reason to not be allowed to have them can still have them.

@Frank_n_Furter Honestly, with their tanks and nukes and who knows what else, I'm not exactly sure guns will protect us from the...

I think we would stand a decent chance against the military. I believe citizens outnumber the military at least 50 to 1, and a poll of the military revealed that only about 25% of the military would fire upon citizens if given the order. I think people should have access to whatever the military has, too. Good luck affording it, though.

Those methods of gun control would be fine in a perfect world. This isn't a perfect world, though. A registry typically leads to confiscation, and a psychiatric evaluation is too subjective; they would be able to rule almost anyone out. A bit of evidence to back weird requirements like that: My cousin is having trouble because he wanted to join the Marines, but having been prescribed medication for ADD at any time in his life disqualified him forever, despite the fact that he stopped taking them five years ago.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Disagree +1Reply

Except I'm not talking about taking away people's guns. There should be limits to what's available for private ownership, and it should be more difficult to obtain one than it is. If every Tom, Dick, and Harry walking down the street has a gun, regardless of any factors besides "I have the money to buy one" I am less likely to feel safe walking past them. I shouldn't need to have a gun on me to feel safe.

@leighlovesyou Except I'm not talking about taking away people's guns. There should be limits to what's available for private...

Many people WITH guns still don't feel safe! The reality IS - we are not safe - period. And nothing anyone can or will do is going to stop that. Evil exists. Bad people will always be out there scheming and dreaming up ways to hurt and kill good people. It is part of the whole life element. We did not ask for it, but we sure as hell better be willing to deal with it. Government and law enforcement have proven time and time again that they can NOT protect us. Every time there is a major crime, they turn to US for information and help. Imagine that!
And of course feelings are subjective and an emotion, so your feeling of not feeling safe might just be an over hyped fear. But by making it harder for the average law abiding citizen to obtain a weapon, you only insure that more law breakers will have as many of whatever it is they want.

You have no right to feel safe. That is nobody's problem except your own. If everyone walking down the street had a gun, it's likely you would actually be safer.

The whole "limits" thing really pisses me off. Everyone proposes "limits" on the guns that kill the least amount of people. Everyone seems terrified of the notion of private citizens owning fully-automatic weaponry. Fact of the matter is that only three people have been murdered using legal automatic weapons in over 60 years, and one of the killers was a cop.

Really, it's your issue if you don't feel safe if other people are walking around with guns. It's not definitive either way if people owning guns makes things safer or more dangerous. The difference is I am guaranteed via the Constitution to be able to own firearms, and you do not have the right to feel safe.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Disagree +2Reply

I personally think it's sad that people are being so influenced by the media that they view anyone carrying a firearm as a threat.

I don't feel safe being pulled over by a cop. What if he's corrupt? What if I unintentionally give him the impression that I might be hiding something which causes him to draw his gun? That definitely doesn't make me feel safe. A cop might have a badge but that doesn't make him any different than any citizen. There's no difference between a cop possessing a gun and a citizen possessing one.

With all the muggings, burglaries, car accidents, rape statistics, bombings, ect., how does one ever feel safe? You aren't safe in your home, and you aren't safe outside. It's a part of life you have to accept. There are more things out there that scare me than the possiblity of someone with a gun.

Aubss avatar Aubs Disagree +2Reply
@Aubs With all the muggings, burglaries, car accidents, rape statistics, bombings, ect., how does one ever feel safe? You...

Asteroids. Volcanic eruptions. The movement of tectonic plates. The fact that we're traveling around the sun at 66,500 miles per hour and spinning while we do it. Those are just some examples of things that make me feel unsafe.

How have so many people disagreed with this? If guns are taken away, less people will die. Simple. Innocent children will not be shot down by psychopaths, and neither will bystanders or witnesses. As far as I'm concerned, people who don't support gun control support gun violence.