+14

It's annoying when people make one aspect about themselves their entire identity. Like some church goers, gays, blacks, emos...they focus almost to much on what makes them different, amirite?

Identity includes multiple parts. People are bound to put more value to one part than the other.

People & Celebrities
0 13

Maybe they feel that's the most important aspect of their identity. And if that's what they want to identify as, why is that so important to you?

@Maybe they feel that's the most important aspect of their identity. And if that's what they want to identify as...

Most important aspect of identity =/= entire identity. If that's what they identify as, I don't care. If they relate everything I say to them to that one aspect about them and everything they talk about relates to that one aspect, making it impossible to have a conversation, that annoys me. That doesn't mean it's important to me, but it is something people have to deal with and it's annoying. No where in the post does it say it's important.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +2Reply

nope

I identity as Muslim first and foremost

@fuzala nope I identity as Muslim first and foremost

But is that all you are? That may be what is most important to you, but is there nothing else to your character? Are you a Muslim and a Muslim alone?

@Mike_Hawk But is that all you are? That may be what is most important to you, but is there nothing else to your...

that should say *I identify

I put that as an explanation

no one can make one aspect their entire identity

the post is talking about the impossible here anyways

@fuzala that should say *I identify Identity includes multiple parts. People are bound to put more value to one part than...

"Identity includes multiple parts. People are bound to put more value to one part than the other" doesn't really explain the post accurately.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are 0Reply

It is only annoying if I am forced to be with them against my will. If I can leave anytime it doesn't bother so much.

@VicZinc It is only annoying if I am forced to be with them against my will. If I can leave anytime it doesn't bother so much.

I know you're one of the older members, but I think this post applies well to people my age who are in school. I go to a science and technology university and a vast majority of people here are socially inept and extremely nerdy. Not that being "nerdy" is necessarily bad, but it's when you have a lack of variety of personailities that it gets sufficating.

Aubss avatar Aubs Yeah You Are 0Reply

This post seems like your trying to erase things about people so that theyre not as 'different'. As long as being black and gay like you said is seen as different and not normal, theres no reason why someone shouldn't make that an important part of their identity. Is it really that annoying to have someone who goes to church/is black/ gay/emo be proud of that and consider it an important park of who they are?