+11

While it's true when people say "You don't need a Disney princess to reaffirm yourself," children are influenced by the things they see, and it was nice to see a princess like Merida- and it would be nice if more role models for young women weren't so sexualized. Disney shouldn't shouldn't have changed her, even if it was only a little bit and the new Merida isn't as sexy as some of the others, it's still an unnecessary step backwards. Amirite?

Health | Yahoo LifestyleYahoo Lifestyle is your source for style, beauty, and wellness, including health, inspiring stories, and the latest fashion trends.http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/disney-princess-makeover-sparks-outrage--merida-petition-goes-viral-175251230.htmlImage for post While it's true when people say "You don't need a Disney princess to reaffirm yourself," children //are// influenced by the things they see, and it was nice to see a princess like Merida- and it would be nice if more role models for young women weren't so sexualized. Disney shouldn't shouldn't have changed her, even if it was only a little bit and the new Merida isn't as sexy as some of the others, it's still an unnecessary step backwards. Amirite?
Frank_n_Furters avatar
1 5
The voters have decided that Frank_n_Furter is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I'm not so concerned about the affect this will have on the way little girl's see them self, she's really not that bad- though I would like to see more like the original Merida. My concern is why did they do it? Are we really still in a point of society where you've gotta give a girl bigger boobs and hips and a smaller waist, an off the shoulder dress, sparkles, make up, and anything I didn't notice different about the two pictures, for you to think it's gonna make them more popular? Kids constantly see sexualized cartoon characters, and this new one isn't so bad. It's not like seeing the new Merida is all the sudden going to influence them to think women are objects and keeping her the same isn't all the sudden going to change the influence they've already got from the thousands of other sexualized women in the media- but it's so unnecessary and it makes me wonder why would they have changed her and how can society stop valuing a girl by how sexy and feminine she is?

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +2Reply

For all of you who agreed, here's a petition that I found. Apparently more than 86k people are upset over the change in image.

https://www.change.org/petition...our-hero-brave

BlindMists avatar BlindMist Yeah You Are 0Reply