-20

If a gay firefighter or policeman is on duty and touches another man, this should be considered sexual harassment. Amirite?

This is NOT a gay bashing post. It is simply an observation of mine based on the fact that women can charge men with sexual harassment in the workplace for saying anything considered "sexist" or for touching them. Since a firefighter or policeman's workplace is essentially the community he is serving, it just struck me that he would be making sexual advancements by "touching" another man. Even though he may be in the line of duty, his sexual preference is clearly the same sex and he should not be allowed to put his hands on another man for any reason.

freespeechfreelancers avatar
0 31
The voters have decided that freespeechfreelancer is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1924764

So if I touch a woman at work to comfort her, are you telling me she still can't turn me in for sexual harassment?

@1924769

I see that, but my OP is taking a concept to its logical far reaching implications. Technically, if a gay man touched me, and I am not gay and did not solicit or welcome the touch, then is he not imposing something on me that I don't wish? What I observe going on in society is that every group wants their rights and privileges as long as it serves THEIR purposes. But if it doesn't, then they don't really seem to care.

@1924771

Again, I understand. So don't you think they should have to let us know they are gay so we as the public can decide if we want their touch or not? And I think it would be interesting if a man would challenge such a touch in the courts to see what would happen.

@1924773

Correct. And what I am also implying is that the gay guy could actually be "getting off" or "turned on" by touching me - regardless of "what way" you or I may think the touch is. And nobody can truly claim they can separate their sexual preference or orientation FROM their job. I, for example, have sexual thoughts and ideas throughout my day - every day, all day. I find it hard to believe the gay person does not as well.

Well being a firefighter is different from other jobs.. Lets use accounting as an example. Firefighting, like football, consists of a team which must work together mentally and physically to complete tasks. Accounting, on the other hand, is like an individual sport, so a slap on the back or something of the sort would be out of place in that setting.

Also what MuddyRinglets said.

Also, if a firefighter grabs another man's dick, that's reasonably considered sexual harassment.

@Wunderscore Well being a firefighter is different from other jobs.. Lets use accounting as an example. Firefighting, like...

So by your reasoning, firefighting and being a cop would be the ultimate job for a gay since touching IS involved and they are "contact" jobs! I guess football would be the ultimate sport to be in.

@freespeechfreelancer So by your reasoning, firefighting and being a cop would be the ultimate job for a gay since touching IS involved...

Are you a homophobe or something?
Most likely you wouldn't even know the guy was gay.
And as long as he doesn't touch you inappropriately, why the heck even care if he touches you?

@xxdetroitxx Are you a homophobe or something? Most likely you wouldn't even know the guy was gay. And as long as he doesn't...

Homophobe? Oh sure, I live in fear every single day that I might get touched by a gay man.
Get real. My posts are to promote discussion and viewing things from different perspectives. If you have something to contribute, I would like to hear it. Shouldn't I know or be made aware of whether or not the person is gay? If not, why?

@freespeechfreelancer Homophobe? Oh sure, I live in fear every single day that I might get touched by a gay man. Get real. My posts are...

No offense but you seem like the kind of person that would.
Also, why would you wanna know if someone was?
It doesn't even matter.

So by your reasoning, firefighting and being a cop would be the ultimate jobs for women since touching IS involved and they are "contact" jobs? Absolutely not, because people, gays included, have self control and aren't sex-crazed savages.

@Wunderscore So by your reasoning, firefighting and being a cop would be the ultimate jobs for women since touching IS...

You are taking this in a completely different direction. My post is making an analogy between a woman being touched on the job and being able to call it sexual harassment, and why the same is not happening if a gay man on the job touches someone of the same sex. If everyone is restrained and exercising self control as you suggest, then why is there such an issue of sexual harassment in the work place? And I do not have the words "sex crazed" anywhere in my concept. I do know (and many who have jobs know) that people are actually having sex at work. If you wish to think otherwise, you are entitled to do so.
My post is trying to explore why we call one instance "inappropriate" touching, but in another instance it is perfectly fine. Police men and women have done body searches and been sued for such. And can it be coincidence or irony that many people's sexual fantasies involve a cop or firefighter?

@freespeechfreelancer You are taking this in a completely different direction. My post is making an analogy between a woman being touched...

I took it in the direction cleared by you in that comment of yours above. By comparing women and gay men and then saying what you said, my comment was not out of place I don't think.

As I said before, it's because of the nature of the work. Working at a desk requires no physical contact with other workers. Being a firefighter, however, does.

Though you didn't explicitly say "sex-crazed," what else am I supposed to think when you talk about how gay people must love jobs where they get to feel up other people? I understand that I may have misinterpreted what you were saying, but communication requires more than one person.

If you're going to call me out on the whole "sex-crazed" thing, how are you going to talk about sex occurring in the work pace? Where did I even imply that I don't think it happens?

I think that the possible correlation you're looking at is false. Women and, I'm assuming, gay men tend to like people associated with those professions because of traditional gender roles. It's hot for guys to be tough and protect the person in the traditionally female role.

@Wunderscore I took it in the direction cleared by you in that comment of yours above. By comparing women and gay men and then...

I can see we are not making too much progress in this dialogue but let me try this angle on you. Let's take firefighter and cop out of the equation. Let's make it all office jobs instead. What is your opinion NOW based on this new scenario?
And I did not call you out on the sex crazed expression - I merely responded to it in the context you seemed to use it. In your earlier post you said: "because people, gays included, have self control and aren't sex-crazed savages." So in light of people not being sex crazed, I gave the factual information that having sex is very common in the work place - any workplace. If that is not somewhat sex crazed, what in your opinion would constitute actual or real crazed sex?
I would actually love to hear a gay man's viewpoint on this entire issue. I thought the whole movement in society today was to go against anything and everything "traditional." And if women and gay men tend to like people associated with certain roles, don't you think straight men do as well? Straight men fantasize about FEMALE cops, firefighters, secretaries, maids, bosses, etc.

@freespeechfreelancer I can see we are not making too much progress in this dialogue but let me try this angle on you. Let's take...

Touching would then be inappropriate.

So that middle part was miscommunication. By "sex crazed," I meant that people would make sexual contact or contact which could be perceived as being sexual with an unwilling partner(s).

"Traditional" isn't all that traditional anymore. However, gender roles are still heavily present in our society, even now.

Females being placed in those roles is what emerges from the slow shift in gender roles. With it being acceptable for men to be submissive, it can be attractive for those men to come into contact with a woman of power.

If anyone touched anyone in a way that made them uncomfortable they are required to take initiative and state that they feel uncomfortable.
Doesn't matter gender, sexuality or age, not until the warning is given is it considered sexual harrassment.
Inb4 rape and sexual harrassment are 2 different things

@Gavin If anyone touched anyone in a way that made them uncomfortable they are required to take initiative and state that...

Your comment is very welcomed. You brought some balance and more of the avenue I was trying to go down with this post. I have nothing against a gay being gay or what they do in their bedroom. But I should be allowed to have knowledge of such (just as they are allowed to have knowledge of my being straight), and if they are a disease carrier, I should know - ESPECIALLY if they are a public servant or worker. There was a dentist recently who had HIV and hepatitis who was exposing every single patient he worked on. Since we know body fluids or blood contact are potential threats to the general populous, it seems only considerate and responsible that I KNOW if a firefighter or cop is gay. But my OP was specifically related to the sexual aspect and quite frankly, I don't want to be touched by a gay man. That should be MY choice and right - but I don't see how it is if I don't know who is or is not gay.

@freespeechfreelancer Your comment is very welcomed. You brought some balance and more of the avenue I was trying to go down with this...

unfortunately I disagree with that thought. What someone does behind closed doors should remain there with the company they enjoy it with. Anyone is suceptible to disease as I am sure you are aware, but just because someone is a homosexual does not mean they are more prone or have said infection.

@Gavin unfortunately I disagree with that thought. What someone does behind closed doors should remain there with the...

Disagreement is always allowed and expected when there are differences of opinion. I have no problem with your disagreement. It is worth noting however that even though AIDS may not have started within the gay community, its rapid spread throughout our country is largely a result of their sexual practices. That is a fact and not slamming gays. It simply is the reality of the situation. Of course now it has spread throughout the entire population (gay or straight) and seems that it is here to stay. But I would challenge your last statement about gays not being more prone to infection. I have done enough reading on the topic to know that because of the way gay men engage in sex, the anus lining is frequently torn, and there is blood and fluid contact far more frequently than there would be in sexual relations between a man and woman. Again, not a bashing statement - just a matter of fact. Talk to someone who works in the emergency ward of a hospital, and you will discover that some of the most horrific incidents they deal with are gay men who have all sorts of objects lodged in their anus. If these are the kinds of practices gays wish to engage in, fine by me. But to push that off on the rest of society as perfectly "normal" and/or "acceptable" is a bit far fetched. Here is a Wikipedia link and scroll down to "Spread To The Western Hemisphere."

It shouldn't be restricted to whether he was gay or not. If the victim feels uncomfortable, then it could be counted as sexual harassment.

I don't classify myself as "anti-gay" and am not a gay basher. And I don't want to know what gays do in their bedroom no more than I want them to know what I am doing in mine. But in some respects, it seems to me that the gay community brought some of this upon themselves by/with the "in your face" attitude and attempts to shove their lifestyle down everyone else's throat. I have NEVER pushed my "straightness" on anyone or tried to sway them to be like me or have my lifestyle. That is not true with the gay community. They seem intent and hell bent on exposing all of society to their lifestyle and are making regular demands about such. They have an extremely powerful lobby in D.C. and they have forced the educational system to include "alternative lifestyle" teaching in the schools across America. If I as a straight person tried to do the same thing, you and I know exactly what would happen. I would be run out of town for being "intolerant" and "insensitive." I see very little tolerance being displayed by the gay community towards the rest of society. They want their way or else. And that is why many have trouble with their views and lifestyle.

@1927895

My OP was not challenging gays per se - it was simply trying to raise interest to and challenge "the other side" of the sexual harassment in the workplace issue. All I was and still am saying is: if a gay man while on the job touches me (just as if a straight man while on the job touches a female), why would that not constitute grounds for sexual harassment? I was not trying to get in to the whole lifestyle issues topic by this post.